I just owned a nurse.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the other hand, I think the OP went past the point of rightfully defending himself-- he retaliated to her unprofessional behaviour with santimonious remarks of his own that probably made him feel good at the moment, and so imo lowered himself right down to her level. I still think his method of dealing with this woman will bite him in the a$$ in the end, and it almost certainly made things worse for whatever unsuspeting young male intern workes with her next. I don't think he deserves kudos for that.

I'm wouldn't call what he said "unprofessional". Aggressive, firm, curt. But not unprofessional. Certainly this was a cathartic moment (as evidenced by the title of the thread), but I'm not sure it was inappropriate.

This RN clearly was stepping outside her scope of practice and attempting to intimidate a provider into violating his/her professional obligations as a physician (ie - write an order without evaluating a patient, under the threat of being reported to the attending). There is nothing wrong with re-establishing your role as the decision-maker when it comes to giving medication. And while under normal circumstances this is usually more appropriately done in private, the public nature of her threatening behavior made a public response understandable.

Personally, I doubt this will bite him later. Nurses this bad are usually recognized as such by their peers and superiors. There may be no professional accountability in nursing practice (as evidenced by the fact that this RN still has a job), but privately nurses are usually very open about how crappy a lot of their coworkers are.

I have had similar experiences where, after a low-grade conflict with an RN, multiple other nurses privately tell me later that I was right and they are embarrassed by their coworker's behavior.

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, it's Mr. Golden Rule in action! What a great example of humanity. He sounds like the typical brown-noser species of medical student. He probably acts all meek and humble in front of anyone who can affect his grades and his classmates hate him.

I'm in the middle of my psych rotation and this remark made me of an important defense mechanism...

Projection: Unpleasant feelings and thoughts are sometimes hard to accept, especially if they don't fit our own image of who we want to be or who we ought to be. Anger, hatred, rage, jealousy, fear, and many other emotions can be hard to incorporate into our own self-image. We don't like to see ourselves as angry, fearful, or bitter people, so we are often tempted to disown those feelings. One way of disowning thoughts and feelings is to project them onto other people. We convince ourselves that those unpleasant thoughts and feelings are coming from someone else and not from us.

Hey! Who does that remind me of? :cool:

"Who does that remind you of"? Uh ...how about you? That's what's so funny. You stand around talking about how nice you are and how you're the master of the Golden Rule and two posts later you're like "maybe that's why everyone hates you and you're stupid and you suck." The fact that you don't see that yet is hilarious. But keep lecturing, "buddy," we're all learning a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
This RN clearly was stepping outside her scope of practice and attempting to intimidate a provider into violating his/her professional obligations as a physician (ie - write an order without evaluating a patient, under the threat of being reported to the attending). There is nothing wrong with re-establishing your role as the decision-maker when it comes to giving medication. And while under normal circumstances this is usually more appropriately done in private, the public nature of her threatening behavior made a public response understandable.

That's how I view it.

She wanted her order and didn't care what my assessment was. That should get her fired, really. Realistically, that won't happen, of course, but anyone defending her is basically insane or just oblivious as to how to be a health care provider.

Did I enjoy putting her back in her place? Sure. I'll freely admit that. So what? She was counting on "another intern owned" judging by the audience of nurses she had secured. She wants a public takedown, fine with me. It just so happens that she was the one taken down.

P.S. She keeps on trying to get me in trouble with the attending and failing because the attending keeps agreeing with me. The disappointment in her eyes each time is gold. I smile a lot as the attending sides with me.

"Who does that remind you of"? Uh ...how about you? That's what's so funny. You stand around talking about how nice you are and how you're the master of the Golden Rule and two posts later you're like "maybe that's why everyone hates you and you're stupid and you suck." The fact that you don't see that yet is hilarious. But keep lecturing, "buddy," we're all learning a lot.

I suppose its not too late to add spaz to the list.

Yeah, I guess that would fit you. We can add it if you want.

Just stopped by to check out my crew. :D

*looking around*

How's everyone doing tonight, fellas? All getting along well, I see.

That's how I view it.

She wanted her order and didn't care what my assessment was. That should get her fired, really. Realistically, that won't happen, of course, but anyone defending her is basically insane or just oblivious as to how to be a health care provider.

Did I enjoy putting her back in her place? Sure. I'll freely admit that. So what? She was counting on "another intern owned" judging by the audience of nurses she had secured. She wants a public takedown, fine with me. It just so happens that she was the one taken down.

P.S. She keeps on trying to get me in trouble with the attending and failing because the attending keeps agreeing with me. The disappointment in her eyes each time is gold. I smile a lot as the attending sides with me.

dude im with you 100 percent. Just call the vp of nursing and complain about her. seriously. IF she is trying to practice medicine without a license this sort of stuff should be nipped at its bud. Not to mention the intimidation. The problem is that nurses havent even taken a pharmacology course and they think they can just give medication like that. but you know differently. I mean sometimes its easy stuff but you got to be careful. Its still a science no matter how inexact it is. and you have to have the education.

The problem is that nurses havent even taken a pharmacology course . .

We actually do take pharmacology (at least 4 year nurses do) though it doesn't mean she can prescribe meds.

I just looked at a couple of your previous posts and didn't realize that you were stupid enough to call out attendings.

So not only do you piss off nurses, but the entire emergency department as well. Nice touch.

I just looked at a couple of your previous posts and didn't realize that you were stupid enough to call out attendings.

So not only do you piss off nurses, but the entire emergency department as well. Nice touch.

doc02 may sound a little over-the-top, but I share his distaste for your "Nurses like me so I must be a good student" attitude. If you truly haven't experienced the kinds of things described here, count yourself lucky, but know that it will happen to you eventually.

Only a fool would judge the quality of a med student, intern, resident, or attending based on the opinion of support staff.

Let me just step back a little bit and assess this situation as I see it. For my purposes I am going to believe the OP and not assume, as some have done, that HE must have been the one with the problem...

-nurse is rude and condescending to resident
-resident responds politely and professionally to rude behavior
-several members of SDN point out that resident has quite possibly screwed himself very badly by acting in this manner

I think we can all agree that this is madness. I for one get along famously with nurses but I also NEVER let them push me around. If a nurse said "hey you!" to me and then demanded I put in an order I would either a) laugh if she was kidding or b) respond almost exactly as the OP did.

The converse of standing up to nurses is that WHEN they save your ass (as they do many, many times) you have to be sincere in your thanks and appreciation, that goes a long way.

Wow. This sucks. I am going into a profession where basically everyone hates each other... great.

Hey, I just read a few positive posts in this thread...there's hope.

Members don't see this ad :)
We actually do take pharmacology (at least 4 year nurses do) though it doesn't mean she can prescribe meds.

I forgot you are nurse you can do it all. WHy do I keep forgetting that.

The converse of standing up to nurses is that WHEN they save your ass (as they do many, many times) you have to be sincere in your thanks and appreciation, that goes a long way.

tell me an instance when a nurse saved your ass.. I cant really name an instance.. The best nurse is one who does what I say and doesnt bother me with editorialization and diatribe.

What the ??? Where did that come from? If you read my above posts, I did not side with the nurse and said she was rude. But if you are so close-minded that you will decide to judge me anyway, you're going to have trouble will all of the nurses (even the good ones).

Hahaha, the "I am rubber you are glue" rebuke. Next up, "I can't hear you LALALA". Are you people twelve?

That was a bit over the line.... At the same time I am grateful that they dont take pharmacology truly... I would hate to be getting continuous suggestion after suggestion (I have enough suggestions to block coming at me every day from pharmacists, respiratory therapists and ICU nurses). Sometime they are very insistive and dont understand that driving a car can only be done by 1 person. Back seat drivers are irritating.

But back to the main topic.

The OP is expressing a feeling that is common amongst interns but is rarely acted on. The feeling of being stomped on when you are the order writer and the one who is going to court FIRST (well second after the attending I suppose) when something happens. It's not the nurses who want you to write for xanax to chill the elderly patient, it's not the pharmacists who wants you to adjust potassium, it's not the respiratory therapist who wants you to do the decrease FiO2 this night cause he doesn't feel the patient is ready. At a certain point during your internship you will officially have had enough and though you might not express it the same way our OP just did.... you will start dismissing most suggestions from none physicians as you come to realize... they are suggestions and many of them are not sitting in the front seat. (Like the other day the SICU nurse noting low BP and Urine and wanting to increase IVF cause patient is KVO yet she doesnt realize we have been giving her mannitol every 3 days for a month cause of the patient's third spacing from bad nutrition, all she cares about is "good blood pressure and urine output" at night.)

That was a bit over the line.... At the same time I am grateful that they dont take pharmacology truly...

I agree. That was uncalled for. She was nothing but polite and professional throughout the entire thread. However, I do know for a fact that BSN nurses do take pharmacology and it's more in depth than you would guess. My sister is a nurse so I know first-hand what their schooling consists of. (I was right alongside her as a kids studying her notes.) Giving medications, they do need to know the all of the drugs, the appropriate doses, the side effects, contraindications, and so forth. Think about it, nurses actually need to watch our backs when giving meds. and they just can't give meds. blindly without knowing what they do. They also need to be responsible for monitoring the patient for side effects. Nurses do more than you think. I seriously would not have known this if I didn't see how much my older sister studied in school and I must say she is an excellent and intelligent nurse today.

On the other hand, it doesn't mean there aren't nurses who are lazy too, but I've seen this with doctors too. This thread has gotten out of hand. We need to step back and realize that we are all professionals. A thread like this can do no good. Sure we can ask for ways to help the issue of an arrogant and abusive coworker but all bashing each other is not going to help.

Giving medications, they do need to know the all of the drugs, the appropriate doses, the side effects, contraindications, and so forth. Think about it, nurses actually need to watch our backs when giving meds. and they just can't give meds. blindly without knowing what they do. They also need to be responsible for monitoring the patient for side effects. Nurses do more than you think.

Nurses take pharm, but once they are actually out in practice, they become familiar with a discrete set of drugs that are actually given at their hospital. Thus they associate Toradol with moderate pain, morphine with severe pain, metoprolol with high blood pressure, etc. And yes, they become very familiar with the side effects and contraindications for these drugs.

The problem comes in when the less typical uses of these medications are written for, and they automatically assume that either (1) the intern is screwing up, or (2) they know more about the patient than the doctor.

For example, I noticed the other day that a patient's Toprol wasn't given, and when I asked why, the nurse told me that his blood pressure was normal, so she didn't give it. (And no, I hadn't written hold parameters). Well actually, we were giving it for rate control of his afib. Now instead of a BP of 100/60 and HR of 65, he now had a BP of 120/70 and a HR of 100. Fantastic.

Or lovenox. Some of our surgeons prefer to start it 24hrs postop. A few prefer it started immediately postop. Yet even when I write, "Give lovenox tonight", about half the time it gets held because the RN is "worried about bleeding".

Or lactulose. We don't see a lot of liver failure, but when we do, it is a constant fight to prevent the qid lactulose from being held because "patient had bowel movement this morning".

RNs need to know their pharm, at least in the realm of contraindications and side effects. But they shouldn't presume to decide that their one pharm class makes them competent to overrule physician decisions on treatment.

Nurses take pharm, but once they are actually out in practice, they become familiar with a discrete set of drugs that are actually given at their hospital. Thus they associate Toradol with moderate pain, morphine with severe pain, metoprolol with high blood pressure, etc. And yes, they become very familiar with the side effects and contraindications for these drugs.

The problem comes in when the less typical uses of these medications are written for, and they automatically assume that either (1) the intern is screwing up, or (2) they know more about the patient than the doctor.

For example, I noticed the other day that a patient's Toprol wasn't given, and when I asked why, the nurse told me that his blood pressure was normal, so she didn't give it. (And no, I hadn't written hold parameters). Well actually, we were giving it for rate control of his afib. Now instead of a BP of 100/60 and HR of 65, he now had a BP of 120/70 and a HR of 100. Fantastic.

Or lovenox. Some of our surgeons prefer to start it 24hrs postop. A few prefer it started immediately postop. Yet even when I write, "Give lovenox tonight", about half the time it gets held because the RN is "worried about bleeding".

Or lactulose. We don't see a lot of liver failure, but when we do, it is a constant fight to prevent the qid lactulose from being held because "patient had bowel movement this morning".

RNs need to know their pharm, at least in the realm of contraindications and side effects. But they shouldn't presume to decide that their one pharm class makes them competent to overrule physician decisions on treatment.

I absolutely agree. But to address your situations, I think that many RNs know that they will be just as liable for malpractice if they give an inappropriate dose or drug and do not know the alternative doses, and that is why they are hesitant to give them. However, I appreciate a call from an RN questioning the meds. rather than just holding it. I'd also rather have a nurse question something than just blindly give everything. I make mistakes too. So someone watching my back is always good.

I've had my share of nurses from hell, but I've also had some good ones who've worked with me to make life easier.

I absolutely agree. But to address your situations, I think that many RNs know that they will be just as liable for malpractice if they give an inappropriate dose or drug and do not know the alternative doses, and that is why they are hesitant to give them. However, I appreciate a call from an RN questioning the meds. rather than just holding it. I'd also rather have a nurse question something than just blindly give everything. I make mistakes too. So someone watching my back is always good.

I've had my share of nurses from hell, but I've also had some good ones who've worked with me to make life easier.

I doubt they will be "just as liable" since nurses very rarely get sued. But otherwise I agree 100% with everything you wrote.

I'm pretty much fine with nurses asking questions about whether or not a med is necessary, but don't you just love it when they just hold it and don't tell you? We were trying to see if a patient had abdominal pain of gastric origin the other note, wrote for a little GI cocktail. 2 hours later he was still in pain and I commented that it appeared as if he hadn't responded to the cocktail.

Said the nurse, "oh, I didn't give him that, he doesn't look like a stomach patient to me."

I hate writing orders because every time i write an order if i dont go over to the nurse and talk her through it I get a phone call to ask what that order was for. I should have gone into radiology

I hate writing orders because every time i write an order if i dont go over to the nurse and talk her through it I get a phone call to ask what that order was for. I should have gone into radiology

I am starting to get mad at that problem... my seniors are defintely at the edge of raging when orders dont get executed and you have to physically find the nurse and tell her to do it.

I think Tired wrote back sometime about the six steps involved in getting a STAT CT scan.

This post is making me tachycardic and tachypneic. You ARE joking, right?

I forgot to mention that Radiology will one day be mostly outsourced to doctors in India who make $50,000 instead of $300,000. (Many try to believe that Medicine is immune to Economics, but no one is exempt from the invisible hand.)

I forgot to mention that Radiology will one day be mostly outsourced to doctors in India who make $50,000 instead of $300,000. (Many try to believe that Medicine is immune to Economics, but no one is exempt from the invisible hand.)

They would have to be licensed in the states done a residency in the states and be board certified. and I doubt any one of the three would work for 50K try 450 K .

They would have to be licensed in the states done a residency in the states and be board certified. and I doubt any one of the three would work for 50K try 450 K .

Non-licensed Indian radiologists can do the preliminary read, with a U.S. radiologist signing off on them. If this becomes common practice, it will drastically reduce the # of "$450K" U.S. radiologists required.

Laws can be written to prevent these economic forces from meeting their equilibrium... but remember that even if those laws are written, laws can be changed at any time if the U.S. public and their politicians decide that medical costs are getting too high. Hopefully radiologists are putting together a powerful union/lobby to prepare for the inevitable trend of globalization.

That was a bit over the line.... At the same time I am grateful that they dont take pharmacology truly... I would hate to be getting continuous suggestion after suggestion (I have enough suggestions to block coming at me every day from pharmacists, respiratory therapists and ICU nurses). Sometime they are very insistive and dont understand that driving a car can only be done by 1 person. Back seat drivers are irritating.

As an offhand poll, virtually every nurse that I have discussed school programs with HAS taken pharmacology....including Diploma and Associate degree.

And as far as not knowing drugs, the same can easily be said of MDs. If I have had introduce MDs to uses of Zofran (back in 1998), emend, and why cerebyx is preferable in many cases to phenytoin, something that they have thanked me for and became something that regularly started being ordered.

For years when I saw a new physician for my own care, I would tell them that I was on Dipentum - they had to look it up.

As for the analogy with the car, it is incorrect. One person drives the car, but if s/he drives it recklessly over a cliff, into a wall, or races the train, EVERYONE in it will get killed/harmed. Thus if a passenger notes that the driver is posing a danger or not aware of all the conditions going on, the passenger should say something.

Nurses do get sued, and even they do not get sued, they get deposed - often numerous times for one case - for which they do not get paid - and often to the point of harassment. I was deposed numerous times for one case, and I have never want to do it again. I value my name and my license just as much as you do, yours. I also value my patients' lives. If something goes wrong, I am the one on the front lines watching them die needless, and sometimes in pain, when something goes wrong. I am the one that cares for them and the family - hours and days on end, for 12 hours at time. When you graduate, you will be seeing the patient for a few minutes to an hour or so. You have your office manager fielding calls - I am the one that has to speak to family and patient face to face, when something does not go well.

Many people use the tacky and trite analogy of the pilot flying the plane. A number of years ago, many airlines found that pilots being autocratic and not paying attention to things that the crew were aware of ....often led to unnecessary accidents and death. Since regulations have encouraged acceptance of crew input, which my slow some processes but have made things safer.

tell me an instance when a nurse saved your ass.. I cant really name an instance.. The best nurse is one who does what I say and doesnt bother me with editorialization and diatribe.

I can cite plenty of them.

Virtually every hospital has rules against "resume home med" orders, which doesn't stop MDs for repeatedly writing that order.

Patient admitted w/GI bleed. INR >6, HCT of 17, admit orders of "resume home meds", FFP, check stool for occult blood, two units PRBCs. I sent the stool, but barring him using cranberry sauce enemas, I am pretty sure it was positive.

Home meds included Ibuprofen, Prednisone, Coumadin 7.5mg Daily.

I suppose I could shut my mouth and just do what the great MD says (when s/he was half asleep, or very busy with patients) and not bother with editorialization....but I actually care about my license, your license and our patient.

In community hospitals, I see these a few times a week, some not as problematic, some more so.

The other issue, is that patient has a right to know what they are getting the med for. I can pretty well guarantee, that if I walk into a room with a new med, most cognitive adults are going to ask what it is being given for. If it is a confused patient, the family member/POA will be asking. It helps if someone would legibly write what it is for.

For that matter, if as a community MD, you write an order for a CXR/CT/MRI/ consult, the first thing that department or consult is going to ask, is what you want it for. If the nurse doesn't know, or can't read your handwriting, and isn't psychic, we are going to call you. I personally would rather not waste the time, when the MD simply writing a word or two next to the order would have sufficed.

In the late 1990's, because of the expense of lovenox, insurance regs required MDs to write the reason for prescribing it, if the patient did not have an admitting diagnosis of DVT. Pharmacy would refuse to issue the drug without the reason written in the order. It was still like pulling teeth to get MDs to write the order....which meant nurses called, even though the issue was with the pharmacy.

caroladybelle, I've read your posts in the past and I always get two things from you:

1) You feel marginalized. Your comment about the pilot needing the crew is very revealing because you want us to know you play an important role. Trust us, we know nurses play an important role. However, that does not mean (in this lame P.C. era) that this therefore makes our roles "equal." My seniors tell me what to do and I do the scutwork. Without me, nothing would get done so I definitely have an important role. But so what? That does not make me their equals. It may hurt your feelings, but I'm not going to say that a nurse is equal to a physician or make some broad-and-meaningless statement like "well, we're both health care providers!" A tech is not a nurse is not a doctor. We're all important, but in markedly different ways.

2) You, and lots of nurses, get angry because of how physicians talk. But unfortunately, we happen to be correct in this matter. Residents and attendings know that nurses do things based almost solely on "what they've experienced." They saw someone do this once and it worked, so now that's the answer. Or they always do a certain action when they see a certain thing. It's very Pavlovian. Any deviation from that "norm" constitutes a problem. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten the "that's not what I've seen, so it's wrong" line from nurses and I also can't explain to you how hilariously irrelevant that reasoning is. The difference is that physicians approach the problem very differently and you can't see that until, basically, you're a physician. Why? Because sometimes we come to the same conclusions, so you think we got there the same way. But we didn't. Maybe someone who is more eloquent can explain it better, but trust us, we're not just lording it over you with baseless comments.

Even ICU nurses or specialty nurses are acting just on "experience" and "protocol." I work with SICU nurses who seem intimidating because they take care of really sick patients. But it's still all based on rote and repetition IN THE SAME CIRCUMSTANCE. If the circumstances change, they don't see or understand it, they just return to "I've done this before, therefore that must be the answer" even if that will, actually, kill the patient. This is why one senior told me that "in one month you'll know how to take care of these patients better than them after 20 years." You can take that just as an insult at face value or you can examine what he means by that.

One of the most frustrating things residents deal with is the back-seat driving of nurses or nurses who act like they are "protecting" the patients from us. I always say, if you're good enough to back-seat drive, then take the wheel.

Nurses do get sued, and even they do not get sued, they get deposed - often numerous times for one case - for which they do not get paid - and often to the point of harassment. I was deposed numerous times for one case, and I have never want to do it again. I value my name and my license just as much as you do, yours. I also value my patients' lives. If something goes wrong, I am the one on the front lines watching them die needless, and sometimes in pain, when something goes wrong. I am the one that cares for them and the family - hours and days on end, for 12 hours at time. When you graduate, you will be seeing the patient for a few minutes to an hour or so. You have your office manager fielding calls - I am the one that has to speak to family and patient face to face, when something does not go well.

They made you sit in a conference room, answer questions, and the lousy hospital wouldn't even pay you?! Ridiculous! I guess that's basically exactly the same as the physician who has to sit with a lawyer for hours every week trying to save his family home, with the full knowledge that even if he wins the case it goes in the National database.

And you're the one giving the bad news? I think not. Just because I don't walk in the room and let you observe the conversation with family and patient doesn't mean I'm doing it. I use a conference room, away from the nurses who have a bad habit of breaking in to "clarify" my comments.

And honestly, we all know that when you "face the family" you basically listen to them complain, then say, "I'll call the doctor" and that's pretty much it. After all, how can you explain an error that you didn't make? Or do you take it on yourself to represent the physician and explain their thinking and what went wrong?

In general I have enjoyed you input in these forums, but this post was so completely out of left-field that you've tanked any credibility that you had with me (20 years experience or not).

...Residents and attendings know that nurses do things based almost solely on "what they've experienced." They saw someone do this once and it worked, so now that's the answer. Or they always do a certain action when they see a certain thing. It's very Pavlovian. Any deviation from that "norm" constitutes a problem...

Aside from the academia in med school, isn't this the basis for learning in residency (repetition of experiences)?

No, I'm not 100% comparing residency w/ OJT, or for that matter trivializing it at all...But I think what she's saying is that the experienced RNs, w/ much good experience, can certainly predict where the tratment is headed...And certainly should be expected to give input (appropriately)

I think some nurses have a problem w/ the delivery of their thoughts to the doc, and this is where the problem lies...The perception is that they think they know it all, as they come off sounding like a horse's a$$...

I've suggested many things to physicians...Sometimes they like the idea, sometimes not. But it's based on my experiences in the past, and what I've learned from them...

And besides, ER medicine is the most Pavlovian kind of medicine there is...Symptom A - Do tests XYZ...

You know what's sad? You read what I wrote and your first reaction was that you wondered if I would get in trouble. Can you imagine if I acted like her and was like, "hey, YOU, get over here, I'm going to tell you what to do and you'll do it!"? I'd probably be fired on the spot. And yet you're telling me that my response may get me disciplined? That's a sad state of affairs with residency training. I'm on call tonight, maybe if I get bored I'll go and see if I need to walk the dog again.

You sound like you need a course in conflict resolution and a dose of maturity. :rolleyes: You and that nurse sound like you are cut from a similar cloth. Are you sure she isn't your birth mother?

Yes, burning bridges with the healthcare team is a great way to maintain a mature atmosphere of collaboration to accomplish the delivery of care and treatment to the patients. Way to go!:thumbup: :rolleyes:

Just want to mention that no man is an island.....

They made you sit in a conference room, answer questions, and the lousy hospital wouldn't even pay you?! Ridiculous! I guess that's basically exactly the same as the physician who has to sit with a lawyer for hours every week trying to save his family home, with the full knowledge that even if he wins the case it goes in the National database.

And you're the one giving the bad news? I think not. Just because I don't walk in the room and let you observe the conversation with family and patient doesn't mean I'm doing it. I use a conference room, away from the nurses who have a bad habit of breaking in to "clarify" my comments.

And honestly, we all know that when you "face the family" you basically listen to them complain, then say, "I'll call the doctor" and that's pretty much it. After all, how can you explain an error that you didn't make? Or do you take it on yourself to represent the physician and explain their thinking and what went wrong?

In general I have enjoyed you input in these forums, but this post was so completely out of left-field that you've tanked any credibility that you had with me (20 years experience or not).

Your ten minutes in that room creates havoc you will never see.

I don't have to see or explain any mistake that I do not make, but I will still be the one that has to deal with the emotional/physical fallout that comes from it. And I will be prohibited by professionalism to give more than comfort. You try that for 36-48 hours a week for 3 1/2 monthes that it takes a patient to die painfully - a death that the HC team tried to prevent. The MD involved spent 10 minutes a day, and had an office manager/med asst to "screen" his calls. The MD can walk away after a short discussion, we get to stay and deal with the pain of the loved ones.

And in most community hospitals, the nurse is the one that is at the bedside when the pt dies, not the MD. If family is not present, we will be the ones calling them and breaking the news of the death.....the MD will be home, asleep and warm in his bed away from the tears.

No, I take care of the family and the patient when they melt down over the next 8-12 hours, that the doc is away in his office, going home having dinner and going to bed to sleep. I am the one cleaning up the patient to make them presentable when they die....due to error. Or cleaning up the incontinence when a surgeon messes up, creates a a massive spinal infection - paralyzing the patient. I have to listen to them cry in pain and comfort them to the best of my ability, pain caused by negligence. I get to call the MD daily about the postop fever, only to have them order repeated blood cultures, urine cultures but refuse to culture the wound - for over 7 days - when his cover finally does, and it comes up positive....but to late for effective treatment.

And when the same thing happens again to another patient less than a year later, I get to hear him lie, and say "Nothing like this has ever occurred to my patients".

And when the doc refuses to settle, I am the one that has to rearrange my schedule, travel 500 miles back and forth several times, because I did and charted exactly what happened and when - despite it being clearly charted.

And for the poster that said I feel marginalized, try again. I don't think MDs are as important as they think they are, and need to get a grip on reality. I don't think ANY single health care professional (nurses included) is all that important. I do not seek approval or acceptance for that concept, but I consider ALL members of the health care team as important, some more important at some times, and less important at others. And my money, home and family for what it is, as important to me as yours is to you. My name in a databank is also as dark as prospect as it is to you. I may not make as many dollars as you will later in life, but they mean to me, exactly what yours are to you.

You don't work with your team, you will find yourself working alone. There are plenty of MDs in the community that no one good ever refers pts to, no one good will cover call for, and no one will go the extra mile for. A bad attitude will hurt you if you have a practice that involves living people. And there is a lot of bad attitude in this posts. If you consider anyone with a lesser education as "beneath you", that will come across to your patients, most of whom "are beneath you" in education.

I also accept that y'all are human and screw up, and it is our job to help prevent that, along with pharmacy, diagnostics, etc.

I deal with 33% expecting the nurse to do their work ("write" tylenol orders, resume home meds and make judgement calls, hold BP meds without issuing parameters or calling), 33% that want us to do exactly as orders say no matter what happens to the pt and then complain when their plan that the nurses didn't use their judgement, and 34% that want an actual health care team approach. You see similar on this BB. Now, if I was psychic, it might work barring that there are going to be problems.

As far as credibility here, I have more than enough IRL with the PTB, I really don't worry about it here. Real life will hit everyone here eventially, and posters will succeed or fail on what they have learned in life. I'm already there as are those that I work with, those that are still on the trip can use the knowledge as they see fit.

And for the poster that said I feel marginalized, try again. I don't think MDs are as important as they think they are, and need to get a grip on reality..

Thank you for exhibiting the syndrome of "what I dont see infront of me can't be really happening." Tell you what... when I come down to the office and am getting called by the secretary to return the calls for 5 of our patients that got discharged... why don't I call YOU and the rest of the inpatient nurses to come and answer them and their families. And when we see them in clinic, we should also call YOU and the rest of the inpatient nurses... and when they buzz us cause their bowels are not moving or they ran out of pain meds cause they took too many and wont admit they are addicted, well.. we should also call the inpatient nurses and tell them please come be part of the patient's care. It's obvious you just "feel" what you need to do, not based on medically proven facts.. Ya go ahead and culture those wounds.. sure that oughta change our antibiotic management with the million types of bacteria growing on human skin. Just remember, medicine has been around for many many many years and many things have been tried and in the span of a couple of hundred years many things by many people can be tested... if a doctor in the 1900s discovered that wound culturing would be helpful, we'd all be doing it now.

First off, I enjoy reading the one-liners from the nurse-supporters. It tells more about you guys than me because clearly in this situation -- not every situation, but clearly this situation -- the nurse acted inappropriately and I acted appropriately. The fact that some people are such mindless nurse-supporters that they will actually ignore a nurse saying "hey, YOU, get over here" or say "well, you're just as bad because you told her that you write the orders" is hilarious. To these people I could probably write that she was physically assaulting me and that I pushed her away and they'd write something like, "you laid hands on a nurse?!? People like you make me sick! You should be in jail right now! I can't believe the immaturity of some people!!" Probably these people are nurses or else it's like their moms or girlfriends are nurses and so they can never think badly of their profession.

Aside from the academia in med school, isn't this the basis for learning in residency (repetition of experiences)?

No, but this is the point. If you haven't gone through medical school, you can't understand it. I'm not trying to be patronizing, I just can't explain it because I'm not a great writer. Like I said, we may arrive at the same answer, but it's through markedly different ways. Maybe someone else can explain it better because I can't think of any examples off the top of my head.

To caroladybelle, my reply is simple. If you wish to continue to think that you are equal to a physician, then you should go out and practice medicine. It's easy to say that you perform "analogous" tasks, but you're not. Saying that you "break the bad news" to a family is pretty ridiculous because I've seen it when nurses talk about a diagnosis with a family. It's generally quite incorrect and they omit many important points because they don't know much about the diseases they are discussing. They know about patient care, but they then extrapolate that to mean that they know about patient TREATMENT. They don't and you don't.

Do nurses have a better rapport with families than physicians? Sure. Do you spend more time in contact with families? Absolutely. Does that make you capable of discussing their hospital course appropriately? Nope. When nurses talk about a patient's hospital course, it's usually from their perspective, which is sometimes funny. They'll talk about how the patient "became hypotensive" on this date or "became confused" on that date. Meanwhile, they'll gloss over the patient's operation with "they went to the OR" or something.

I certainly can't convince you that you're not the equal of a doctor. You seem to have ingrained that into your belief system. Unfortunately, that's the problem. The rest of us on SDN keep running into people like you who we have to fight with. You can say it's because we're bad people, fine. I can't convince you otherwise. Just realize that you are afforded a great luxury because you CAN fight with us. You have a safety net because we're opposing you. If you want to practice medicine, like I said, go practice medicine on your own. See how far that goes.

The thing I hate most about nurses like you is that you never see the consequences. It's easy to talk about how much responsibility and knowledge you have, but when things go wrong, I've never had a nurse say, "this was my fault." They just say, "I was following what the doctor wrote." (Not that it would matter because nobody in America would accept the statement that a nurse "made a resident do something," I'm just saying they don't even take the blame.)

You go in and talk to the family and get them all riled up with inaccuracies or mis-statements and it takes me like an hour to calm them down or explain what's REALLY going on. I've done that, too.

I'm going to keep repeating myself, just like I did with the EM guys. If you think you're equal to a doctor, then go and practice out in the world. It's that simple.

As far as credibility here, I have more than enough IRL with the PTB, I really don't worry about it here. Real life will hit everyone here eventially, and posters will succeed or fail on what they have learned in life. I'm already there as are those that I work with, those that are still on the trip can use the knowledge as they see fit.

It's wonderful when you provide knowledge. Unfortunately all you have done here is give us a screed about how doctors screw up and you clean up their messes; nothing but innuendo that you know better than those lousy doctors, who really don't do much of anything anyway.

The "real life" you describe is really little more than an attempt to justify your importance, which is odd, since no one here ever attempted to tear you down.

I suppose what really burns you is that it is nurses in general that are important, not you specifically. It must be difficult to know that you are essentially interchangeable with the RN who comes on after you work your 36hrs/wk, whereas your patients know their doctors' names by heart.

Doc... Your posting of this thread in response to this incident with this nurse, with it's disrespectful and immature trash talk, is a poor reflection on your character and maturity. Many who critisize you here aren't applauding the nurse in question, but questioning your response. There are more positive and constructive ways to deal with these inevitable situations than the method you employed.

For one thing, don't underestimate the social clout of a well-established member of the healthcare team who probably now views you as an enemy. Even the president of the United States knows better than to humiliate an adversary as you probably did in this instance. You definately need to learn more finesse in handling these situations.

Don't make enemies, they can easily undermine you. Good luck.

Many who critisize you here aren't applauding the nurse in question, but questioning your response.

Great, explain to me what was wrong about my response other than "wow, you are soooo disrespectful!" I could have said, "Madam, please refrain from these grievious comments in the future" and you'd say that I was being pompous. All you've said is that nurses will act a certain way and I must allow that to happen or else I will befall some injury.

The "real life" you describe is really little more than an attempt to justify your importance

But again, when she writes, it's very helpful. I'm not being sarcastic. Look at what she considers important and you understand how a nurse thinks. She glosses over a neurosurgical operation by saying "the doctor messed up and 'made' a spinal infection" and now she has to clean up the incontinence.

See what I mean?

The incontinence IS important. Quality of life, human dignity, skin breakdown, etc. We get that. Nobody is diminishing it. But it's not the focal point of what is going on. And the fact that she considers it a "mess up" is equally telling. Are you qualified to say that? Do you even know what was done? No. All she knows is that afterwards the patient had incontinence. That's like the level of a lay-person.

That's what I see often when nurses explain "hospital courses" to patients. I get frustrated because they SHOULD NOT be doing that because they don't know what's going on medically in many cases. They know their point of view. Often, it turns into a big problem because they end up planting misconceptions into the patient's mind or their family. Or their family starts to focus only on nursing minutae rather than the big picture.

Again, do they have a better rapport with families? Yes. I'll be the first to admit that. Does that mean they understand what is going on or the medical decision-making behind things? No way.

I doubt they will be "just as liable" since nurses very rarely get sued. But otherwise I agree 100% with everything you wrote.

Nurses do get sued. We have a lot of accountability, and our licenses are at stake if we blindly follow an MD's order. We need to understand dosages, indications, contraindication, se's and implications. If an MD ordered morphine 100 mg, on an opioid-naive patient, we would lose our licenses for following such an order. That's why we document our butts off. Including how many times we paged the doc, contents of conversations and related results. I've been a nurse for 10 years, and have been in court twice. Both times vindicated. There are disgruntled nurses, as well as patients, family members....in a highly litigious society, mind you.

This thread has become nothing but personal attacks and despite the warnings from the Mod, it has continued to degenerate. Thus, I am closing it.

Edit...I am reopening this thread because I was mistaken in thinking that a Mod had given a warning about staying on topic and keeping the discussion civil. Consider this that warning.

Great, explain to me what was wrong about my response other than "wow, you are soooo disrespectful!" I could have said, "Madam, please refrain from these grievious comments in the future" and you'd say that I was being pompous. All you've said is that nurses will act a certain way and I must allow that to happen or else I will befall some injury.

Your defensiveness doesn't make it easy to give you any guidance. The only person you can change here is yourself, and your response to situations. You need to learn to handle interpersonal challanges in a more professional manner than what you've described here. Perhaps you can take a course or read a book on assertiveness and conflict resolution. The tactics you described in your opening post, and the language you use in describing them, are subpar.

You've gotten feedback on this thread from many people that you could have done much better. That doesn't mean that you are supposed to roll over and submit to abuse from anyone, but learn to speak up for yourself contructively, building a mutually respectful relationship with other members of your team.

... It must be difficult to know that you are essentially interchangeable with the RN who comes on after you work your 36hrs/wk, whereas your patients know their doctors' names by heart.

Low blow...

ER docs pass off to each other daily...Hospitalists do shift work...On call docs for night/weekend coverage...

please

Thank you for exhibiting the syndrome of "what I dont see infront of me can't be really happening." ...

The flipside is also true..."What happens to me must happen to every resident"...This board is filled with n=1 anecdotes, and are somehow passed off as fact, and widespread...(Read JK's, fineline's, snoopy's, etc. posts)

Status
Not open for further replies.