The stupidest thing a nurse has ever paged you for...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They're trying to teach you a lesson based on their own f-ed up pecking order. We don't need to be passive-aggressive because we are the professionals and these are the patients that will live or die based on our performance. Sound like a god complex? You're g-damn right, because it is. We screw up and people die. We do the right thing and that might just save somebody.

I agree with what you said in your post. I just wanted to point out that the way we physicians think doesn't make sense. Because in order to overcome the nurses trying to enforce their "pecking order" we need to think like you said. But if we think like you say then we get told we're "full of ourselves" and "talking down" to the nurses. That's my beef. I don't mind doing more work in order to do the right thing, just don't tell me I have to act like we're all equals while I'm doing it and if I get pissed at someone not doing their job and I have to do it don't lecture me on being a professional.

We don't work "three 12s" and have the rest of the week off.

Well some of us do. (Read the sig, fear the sig) Cheap shot, I know. :lol:

Members don't see this ad.

I won't try anymore to convince you that what you guys describe isn't commonplace in the nursing world (at least in Arizona)

You keep saying this, but then keep coming back to tell us how great your nurses are. Kudos to you and your staff. Now go away so we can share our stories with each other. If, as your tagline says, you're really pre-med, you'll see soon enough that we're not just talking out our a$$es.

I've only known one nurse who became a doctor. She was my resident when I was a medical student. One night after fielding one of these calls, she told me that she started out thinking doctors were jerks and since she understood nurses she would be a better doctor. Now she said she understood the other side of things and hated nurses. Like I said, I understand nursing has a lot of crap to it. But believe me it's nothing like the crap doctors get. And if you don't like being ordered to do stuff, don't be a nurse because that's in the general job description. I think most of the tension in the hospital arises from nurses trying lame tactics in order to "force" physicians to realize that they're equals or, worse, they're better based on the simple fact that they've been in the hospital longer. Meanwhile, most physicians judge people on the quality and amount of work they do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think most of the tension in the hospital arises from nurses trying lame tactics in order to "force" physicians to realize that they're equals or, worse, they're better based on the simple fact that they've been in the hospital longer. Meanwhile, most physicians judge people on the quality and amount of work they do.

Exactly! I don't care if you say hi to me in the hallway, or if you're a total b*tch. Do your work, take pride in it, and do what's best for the patient.

"Know your role. Do your job." [courtesy Herm Edwards]

Exactly! I don't care if you say hi to me in the hallway, or if you're a total b*tch. Do your work, take pride in it, and do what's best for the patient.

"Know your role. Do your job." [courtesy Herm Edwards]

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

In nursing, people are permitted to behave however they choose, leaving us to pray that our critically ill patients get one of the good nurses, not the bored agency nurse who spends her whole night talking on her cell phone.

Of course, the chart now reads, "Paged Dr. Tired for patient's pain. Dr. Tired says that he will not see the patient or treat his pain. Will page primary team for further assistance."

Go teamwork!

A couple of issues.

No, nurses are not permitted to behave however they choose, especially not agency.

As agency, I can be DNR'd from ANY FACILITY over even the most minor complaint or problem. I certainly am not permitted to use a cell on duty nor attend to any personnel business. Such things might be permitted of regular staff, but agency must tow the line or get kicked to the curb.

Even staff are easily disciplined or marked down for even minor or trivial issues. I had a manager that who had a complaint on my "professional appearance" because she felt that I look so much more "polished" with makeup on and should wear it daily (it was in a very SOUTHERN facility) - it was the only thing that I was marked off for. Trust me, if nurses are behaving badly it has more to do with poor management that permits it or has misplaced priorities. And in that case, you will often find slack radiology/lab/transport/etc.

And as far as the pain issue: Because of the JCAHO clipboard nazis, and the edicts on high that "Pain is what the patient says it is" and "pain is undertreated", matched along with the utterly ridiculous "Pain 1 to 10 sale", and rules against pain med range orders, you will be getting calls about "uncontrolled" pain. It is because everything about pain must be documented and if it is not, we are verbally dragged over the coals. I have to document a certain amount of data/rsponses/interventions everytime pain is or isn't treated and resolved.

Now, y'all know just as we know that much of this is utter crap - that your FF sickler is going to report that nothing ever relieves the pain, that it always a 10 out 10, even when they are woken out of a sound sleep by the relative that wants the patient to get their MOEFFEEN every time that it is due. But it doesn't change the fact that we and you will both be harassed by the paper pushers, if all the Ts are not crossed and Is not dotted.

( though a better note would have been, MD/med team notified regarding patient's reported pain. Nurse will continue to monitor)

With the latest issue of "med reconciliation", in many places the admitting nurse is "required" to get the MDs verbal or real signature on the admit med rec...it doesn't matter what time of the day or night that the admission takes place or that it should/could wait until morning. And if it doesn't gets signed the nurse gets called to the carpet. Why the strictness? Because when we put it on the chart in front, where you can't miss it....it was still never getting signed in a "timely" manner.

PS. If you think the paper nazis are bad now, just wait until the regs about medicare not paying for "medical errors" get into full force. They will forcing every single thing that might be perceived as potentially leading to an "error" documented with phone calls and enogh red tape to hang a horse.

Nurse: Doctor, I just wanted to let you know that your patient is passing gas...

ME: So you want me to put the patient on airway precautions??
(negative pressure room, mask and gown upon entry)

may she was trying to tell you your new post op patient is ready for a diet change!

For those of you who believe that nursing quality is varied (and not uniformly bad), did you take this into consideration when deciding how to rank the residency programs that had interviewed you? For those who did, how did you go about informing yourself about the general impressions of interns and residents regarding the nurses at each facility? Did you find that it was easy to ascertain the quality of the nursing staff and management during conversations with current residents, or interviews with attendings, or by some other means? It seems that this would be a very legitimate factor to take into account when deciding where you would like to spend your residency.

For those of you who believe that nursing quality is varied (and not uniformly bad), did you take this into consideration when deciding how to rank the residency programs that had interviewed you?

Unfortunately I knew what I was getting into but it wasnt enough to keep me from the program. Im not spending all 5 years in the same place.

For those who did, how did you go about informing yourself about the general impressions of interns and residents regarding the nurses at each facility?

Rotated as a student. Spoke with interns and residents at length regarding Pros & Cons

Did you find that it was easy to ascertain the quality of the nursing staff and management during conversations with current residents, or interviews with attendings, or by some other means?

Attendings seemed to be pretty quiet about it, but the house staff were more than happy to give the good and bad.

It seems that this would be a very legitimate factor to take into account when deciding where you would like to spend your residency.

Agreed, but in the end you need to do whats best for YOU and not let the attitudes and performance of peripheral staff affect your career.

For those of you who believe that nursing quality is varied (and not uniformly bad), did you take this into consideration when deciding how to rank the residency programs that had interviewed you? For those who did, how did you go about informing yourself about the general impressions of interns and residents regarding the nurses at each facility? Did you find that it was easy to ascertain the quality of the nursing staff and management during conversations with current residents, or interviews with attendings, or by some other means? It seems that this would be a very legitimate factor to take into account when deciding where you would like to spend your residency.

Yes, yes and yes. the nurses where I am at are WAY above and beyond the nurses where I went to medical school. It makes life so much easier and while other things should take priority I think ancillary staff is a top 10 factor to consider in your ranking decision.

Talk to residents, don't ask "hows the nursing staff" bring the subject up in a conversation. "you on call last night? Did you get some rest? No? lots of traumas or lots of pages"...etc If stupid pages kept them up...they will mention it.

It is because everything about pain must be documented and if it is not, we are verbally dragged over the coals.

I understand that you have to document pain. What bugs me is how little thought is placed into it. We've all gotten the calls from nurses that patients have "7/10" pain and then go over there and they're sitting around watching tv. Most nurses that I know are content to be documenters, they ask the patient a question, the patient says something, they write it down. No thought involved. If the number is higher than a certain value, they do something, otherwise they don't. It's like they're computer programs.

Did you find that it was easy to ascertain the quality of the nursing staff and management during conversations with current residents, or interviews with attendings, or by some other means?

No it is not. Generally residents have formed a baseline opinion of nurses and, no matter how bad they are, they'll call that average. So no matter where you go if you ask a resident they'll give you a generic answer that "the nurses are OK and there are some good ones and bad ones, just like everywhere else." You'll hear that line so often that you'll get bored asking.

Did you find that it was easy to ascertain the quality of the nursing staff and management during conversations with current residents, or interviews with attendings, or by some other means? It seems that this would be a very legitimate factor to take into account when deciding where you would like to spend your residency.

You're gonna let nurses dictate where you train???? No, brother!

MAYBE you're talking about the quality of ancillary staff but after intern year you won't be really dealing with nurses who don't start IVs, etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
How about this one...

Order @ 7pm: STAT V-Q Scan

Response @ 11pm: "Doctor, the tech who does the V-Q scans already went home for the night. Do you want to have him come back in or do you want the scan done in the morning?"
There is no excuse for the four hour delay, but I will tell you as a nurse I am constantly fighting with other departments over "stat" orders. I've had radiology, lab, RT, etc., flat out tell me "no" when I notify them of stats. Or the ever-popular "I'll get to it when I can".... but guess who gets reamed because these orders are not carried out in a timely manner?? Hint: it's not those who refuse to carry out the orders...

In my last job, our vascular sonographers worked Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4 pm. No weekends. No holidays. Ever. No exceptions. Ever. The docs were aware of this. Yet I continued to get patients in the middle of the night on the weekend with orders for stat doppler U/S to r/o DVT. And I continued to call the same docs over and over again to tell them, "Sorry, but that can't be done until Monday morning." And I continued to get yelled at by the same docs over and over again who acted as if this was the first time they were hearing of this.

My point is that more often than not, I am beating my head against the wall trying to get these orders accomplished in something resembling a "stat" time frame. Have I ever missed a stat order? Absolutely. I've been doing this for over 20 years. I'm not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. But it's rare. I take my job seriously, and do everything I can to make sure my patients are cared for.

There is no excuse for the four hour delay, but I will tell you as a nurse I am constantly fighting with other departments over "stat" orders. I've had radiology, lab, RT, etc., flat out tell me "no" when I notify them of stats. Or the ever-popular "I'll get to it when I can".... but guess who gets reamed because these orders are not carried out in a timely manner?? Hint: it's not those who refuse to carry out the orders...

You're right about that, usually when there are multiple layers of people involved in something people just blame the one that they can see. And the ones who never get burned never have to change. I can definitely sympathize with you on that because I'm actually surprised by all the people who say that nurses arrange for these tests. Where I am, residents do that and so I experience what you do. When the techs stonewall me, I'm the one who gets reamed (by the attendings). But in the same manner if the nurses don't do something that actually is their job, same thing. I get reamed because I'm the "outermost" layer and the nurse is not.

Clearly he was referring to the four hour delay in contacting the technician.

How many times have we been paged at 11pm for "Doctor, I'm not sure if you got this consult for (insert reason here.)" The one that was ordered at 4pm but nobody did anything about.

That's why make sure YOUR consult says when you were notified, not when it was ordered. If if doesn't, you should document that c/s called in at 11pm by Nurse Jones for the cold leg sitting around for 4 hours.

Stop trolling.

In my last job, our vascular sonographers worked Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4 pm. No weekends. No holidays. Ever. No exceptions. Ever. The docs were aware of this. Yet I continued to get patients in the middle of the night on the weekend with orders for stat doppler U/S to r/o DVT. And I continued to call the same docs over and over again to tell them, "Sorry, but that can't be done until Monday morning." And I continued to get yelled at by the same docs over and over again who acted as if this was the first time they were hearing of this.

G-d help, I know your pain......especially in community facilities.

I put in the order for a CT Abdomen Stat, ordered late on a Friday night. I will then get 3-4 phone calls from the department., "Does have to be stat....why does it need to be stat,.....are you sure the MD actually means stat? . I will be tortured by freaking phone calls of the department because they do not want to call anyone in/keep someone after.

The rad department will call me so often, that I will be unable to do a darned thing, because rad is trying to get out of doing the CT.....when if they would just do it, it would wast less of their time, the nurses' time and the supervisors time. But that would be too easy.

And eventially, it comes down to them wanting the nurse to call the MD. When I suggest that since "They" wish to question the order's necessity, perhaps "They" should phone the MD. And they act as though that is a bizarre concept, and say that it is "against policy" etc.

After years of dealing with the Pharmacy questioning MD orders, and forcing the nurse to call the MD about it....in one place we managed to get policy changed and the pharmD gets to clarify them. Which makes sense that if they wish to question the MD, they speak to them directly.

The PharmDs hate it and want to switch it back.........

You're right about that, usually when there are multiple layers of people involved in something people just blame the one that they can see. And the ones who never get burned never have to change. I can definitely sympathize with you on that because I'm actually surprised by all the people who say that nurses arrange for these tests. Where I am, residents do that and so I experience what you do. When the techs stonewall me, I'm the one who gets reamed (by the attendings). But in the same manner if the nurses don't do something that actually is their job, same thing. I get reamed because I'm the "outermost" layer and the nurse is not.

Well then, I do feel your pain. I worked a non-teaching facility for over 15 years, so I was on the "outer layer" there; but I have worked teaching hospitals where nursing is still responsible for entering orders and arranging tests, etc. In those cases, I'm sure the residents were reamed as well.

Someone here said something about accountability. I suppose until these ancillary departments are held accountable for following orders as written, this will continue. I'm not going to hold my breath, however.

Quite possibly he was; that's why the first line of my post says "There is no excuse for the four hour delay, but ..." and I continue on to describe the frustrations I've experienced in getting these orders carried out.

How many times have we been paged at 11pm for "Doctor, I'm not sure if you got this consult for (insert reason here.)" The one that was ordered at 4pm but nobody did anything about.
Probably as many times as I've come on at 11pm to find orders missed (or where it's not clear that they were actually carried out). Then it's up to me to make that call.

Stop trolling.
Have a nice day.

And eventially, it comes down to them wanting the nurse to call the MD. When I suggest that since "They" wish to question the order's necessity, perhaps "They" should phone the MD. And they act as though that is a bizarre concept, and say that it is "against policy" etc.
That is one of my pet peeves... making repeated calls passing messages between the docs and other docs and various departments. It feels like I've returned to my childhood and my parents are fighting "Tell your mother..." "Well tell your father..."

Like I have nothing better to do with my time. God forbid I suggest they save some time (not to mention reducing the chance of miscommunication) and actually make the calls themselves; they look at me like I've grown a third eye.

God forbid I suggest they save some time (not to mention reducing the chance of miscommunication) and actually make the calls themselves; they look at me like I've grown a third eye.

Ugh, the trolls...

It would be very time-saving (for YOU, lol) if physicians could just call their own studies in...Give you more time to read people magazine. and complain. and eat.

what's wrong, allnurses too crowded? :laugh:

Ugh, the trolls...

It would be very time-saving (for YOU, lol) if physicians could just call their own studies in...Give you more time to read people magazine. and complain. and eat.

what's wrong, allnurses too crowded? :laugh:
Not a member there.

No offense, but you seem to have a problem with reading comprehension. No worries... just continue to insult instead of addressing the issue. Sounds like a plan.

:)

not so much.

it's a shame that a nurse can't find her own place in the world...and ends up in the intern forum...awww. it's not my reading comprehension that's in question, troll.

go ahead and check back every 2 minutes to see what drama you can stir up. lol

don't you have some consults to call in? :laugh:

not so much.

it's a shame that a nurse can't find her own place in the world...and ends up in the intern forum...awww. it's not my reading comprehension that's in question, troll.
I joined this board. I wasn't informed that I was not allowed to post on this particular forum. So when I see a thread that interests me, and I wish to comment, I will do so. If you believe I'm a troll, then please report me.
go ahead and check back every 2 minutes to see what drama you can stir up. lol
I'm not the one stirring the pot here.

don't you have some consults to call in? :laugh:
Nah. My day off.

this is your day off? and you're spending it in front of the computer, trolling? sorry your life sux so bad. ouch.

For my part, I've never been at a place where the nurses put in the orders or call for tests. I'm shocked. Where are you guys training, I need to get in on some of that action! My point is that I personally don't mind Clio's suggestion that physicians do that stuff but I'm obviously biased because I've never known anything else. I can see where if you come from a place that nurses are supposed to do it, you say, "why do I have to do her job?"

But I'll say this, too. Despite the fact that I order the tests and place the orders and deal with the techs, the nurses where I am still complain that I should do more work. When they get calls from Pharmacy, they literally just page me and tell me to call Pharmacy because they have a problem. When they get calls from Radiology, they just give them my pager. And even with that, they're still not doing lots of nursing things or paging me without thinking and start reading me random vitals just so they can dump a problem in my lap. The popular "can't get an IV" call is great because I'll have to put all my other duties on hold and labor at getting an IV and, just like Noble Gas said, meanwhile the nurses will be reading magazines or chillin'.

One resident I know says this behavior is because nurses are unionized. She told me that a resident she knows works at a non-union hospital and it's heaven. This resident she knew had to put in a central line and the nurse got all of the materials, then paged the resident, and stayed bedside to assist with anything and was polite the entire time. At our hospital, the nurse isn't even in the equation and what's more you have to go tell her when you're done and she'll yell at you to use more chucks if you got blood on the sheets. On hearing about the non-union hospital I honestly almost had a wet dream in my pants.

Exactly.

If the technician was contacted even within 2 hours of the order being written, they still would have been in the hospital.

Unacceptable nursing delays can significantly impact patient care. But in the end the nurse who caused the delay isnt held responsible, the doctor is.

For my part, I've never been at a place where the nurses put in the orders or call for tests. I'm shocked. Where are you guys training, I need to get in on some of that action! My point is that I personally don't mind Clio's suggestion that physicians do that stuff but I'm obviously biased because I've never known anything else. I can see where if you come from a place that nurses are supposed to do it, you say, "why do I have to do her job?"
Just to clarify, I was referring to us having to be a go-between when other departments have problems with the docs' orders. If I'm relaying messages from the pharmacist to the doc and back again--- over and over, I can guarantee you there's going to be something lost in the translation. I was lucky that the night pharmacist I worked with would contact the docs himself with questions and, more importantly, correct obvious errors without all the drama I encountered from the others.

I don't mind entering orders. In fact, I prefer it to an extent. Maybe it's my OCD kicking in, or maybe it's because that's what I'm used to doing for so long... but I like to know what's happening with my patients and when the docs are putting in their own orders, I feel something is missing. And as crazy as it sounds, I also miss the "24hr checks". I can't tell you the number of times I found mistakes, whether by the doctors, nurses, or the ancillary staff.

In my first university hospital contract, I was told by my preceptor that I was absolutely NOT to double-check orders, that it was on the docs' heads if something was ordered wrong. When I questioned how they managed to catch mistakes in these orders, or simply ensure that orders were carried out correctly, I got that ol' "third eye" look again. She said it didn't matter, because it wasn't nursing's fault. I think that is screwed up. This blame-game crap is ridiculous. And who suffers as a result?

But I'll say this, too. Despite the fact that I order the tests and place the orders and deal with the techs, the nurses where I am still complain that I should do more work. When they get calls from Pharmacy, they literally just page me and tell me to call Pharmacy because they have a problem. When they get calls from Radiology, they just give them my pager. And even with that, they're still not doing lots of nursing things or paging me without thinking and start reading me random vitals just so they can dump a problem in my lap. The popular "can't get an IV" call is great because I'll have to put all my other duties on hold and labor at getting an IV and, just like Noble Gas said, meanwhile the nurses will be reading magazines or chillin'.

One resident I know says this behavior is because nurses are unionized. She told me that a resident she knows works at a non-union hospital and it's heaven. This resident she knew had to put in a central line and the nurse got all of the materials, then paged the resident, and stayed bedside to assist with anything and was polite the entire time. At our hospital, the nurse isn't even in the equation and what's more you have to go tell her when you're done and she'll yell at you to use more chucks if you got blood on the sheets. On hearing about the non-union hospital I honestly almost had a wet dream in my pants.
Well I'm not union lol.

I have no use for abusive nurses. Or anyone for that matter.

I have no interest in aggravating the docs I work with; I have better things to do. And don't take this the wrong way, but I don't page y'all for fun, either. I page when the patient's status deems it necessary. I have paged when it's not clear that the doc is aware of abnormals or consults or whatever. When it's not documented one way or the other, I'd rather err on the side of caution than assume he or she was notified earlier.

The docs I worked with for all those years (before I changed jobs) were incredible; they knew me, I knew them. I knew what I could do without paging, I knew when to call them. One had lost his partner and was on call all the time. I did my best to avoid calling him unless it was absolutely necessary. Since I left that job, I probably page more than I used to; at least until I get to know these doctors, I will have to do so.

As night charge, I've also advised other nurses to page--- or not. One recently came to me with a "critical" low calcium level, and asked if she should call the doc. I sat with her for some time, showing her the albumin level (waaay low), the previous days' calcium and albumin levels (also low), the progress notes (doc was aware of the patient's labs on previous days), how to calculate a corrected calcium level and told her "No. Don't wake him up for this."

So what did she do after all that? Called the doc. Who proceeded to tell her pretty much the same stuff I had, only he wasn't so nice about it. Then she comes back to me in tears because "the doctor was mean to me". :rolleyes:

Stuff like this makes me want to pull out my hair.

I am too old for these grade-school games. I'm here to do my job. It does me no good to **** off the doctors with ignorant pages, and like I said, I have better things to do.

about how where Clio works is the exception, not the rule...

Thats fine, hope it is. But then why can she (or any other nurse who works in one of these glorious institutions) denounce what we are saying here and simply consider it bitching?

Actually, I was thinking the same thing about y'all :laugh:

I'm new to the whole teaching/university hospital thing. It is most certainly a different world :)

It does help me to read this board... it all doesn't feel so alien to me now.

Well, maybe a little bit ;)

Thats fine, hope it is. But then why can she (or any other nurse who works in one of these glorious institutions) denounce what we are saying here and simply consider it bitching?
I wasn't denouncing anything, or saying that you're bitching. The stuff I read here made me shake my head at the nurses in question. I agree that you all get stupid pages. I've gotten stupid orders too. We all have our bad days. I was simply posting what my experiences have been. I'm also interested in your experiences. It's a learning curve for me too, now that I'm working with interns and residents and students.

Thank you for continuing to miss my point. Let me be clear, yet again.

I don't think where she works is any good. In fact, I'm sure that it contains the same proportion of crappy nurses as everywhere else.

My point is, and always has been, that good nurses don't see how bad the bad nurses are, because they don't have to work with them.

Think about Clio's last post: She wouldn't have called the physician, but her coworker did anyway, although she had just been told why it was not necessary. This is typical.

What I believe, assuming everyone is being truthful here, is that Clio and CarolLadyBelle are great nurses who don't recognize the pain that their bad coworkers inflict on us. Y'all won't ever get this as a nurse, because you will always have the luxury of just being friendly with lazy coworkers, since their work doesn't directly affect you. I don't get that luxury. I have to resort to hanging out with the charge nurse, negotiating which RN gets assigned to my patients, in the hope that I can get good ones who will make my day wonderful, instead of the junk ones who ruin me.

Again, if you're really premed, you will look back someday on all your snide little comments towards us and realize how blind you were to what goes on in your hospitals.

I wasn't denouncing anything, or saying that you're bitching. The stuff I read here made me shake my head at the nurses in question. I agree that you all get stupid pages. I've gotten stupid orders too. We all have our bad days. I was simply posting what my experiences have been. I'm also interested in your experiences. It's a learning curve for me too, now that I'm working with interns and residents and students.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

With all due respect, your "bad days" last 8-12hrs, 3-5 days a week. Then you go home. My "bad days" last 18-40hrs, 6-7 days a week, and are periodically punctuated by screaming from my residents and attendings who hold me personally responsible for every nursing screwup that occurs.

Don't bother trying to compare your frustrations with ours. There are a 168hrs in a week, and I spend 90-110 of them in the hospital putting out fires. Get two more full-time nursing jobs on top of the one you have now, then we will be happy to listen to your stories too.

My point is, and always has been, that good nurses don't see how bad the bad nurses are, because they don't have to work with them.

Think about Clio's last post: She wouldn't have called the physician, but her coworker did anyway, although she had just been told why it was not necessary. This is typical.
Perhaps not in the same context as you do, but trust me. They aggravate the crap out of me. Maybe I'm just getting cranky in my old age, but I'm pretty sick of babysitting these people. They're licensed the same as I am. Why do I have to be the one to tell them what to do every step of the way? New grads, sure. They need direction. But nothing ticks me off more than for someone to come to me as a charge nurse asking what they should do, only to completely ignore my advice... but then continue to ask for it over and over. To top it off, at least in my hospital, the charge nurse was held responsible for the actions of the staff working under him or her. So I'd get called on the carpet for what these other nurses did (or neglected to do).

Again, maybe I'm just getting old, but I get really tired of the lack of common sense, forget about any semblance of critical thinking. I had a nurse report to me that a post-op laryngectomy patient had been in horrible pain all day--- abdominal pain--- and she just couldn't get him comfortable. That in fact it was getting worse as the day wore on. When I asked her why a laryngectomy patient would be having abdominal pain, she just gave me a blank look. A call to the surgeon, a foley, and 2 liters of urine later, the patient was pain-free. So yeah, I have to work with them and I get frustrated too.

What I believe, assuming everyone is being truthful here, is that Clio and CarolLadyBelle are great nurses who don't recognize the pain that their bad coworkers inflict on us. Y'all won't ever get this as a nurse, because you will always have the luxury of just being friendly with lazy coworkers, since their work doesn't directly affect you.
Again, it does affect me. Many a night I've spent the first half of my shift cleaning up the mess left for me by the previous shift. I sincerely don't mind the occasional leftovers; we all have bad days. With some, though, it was a daily occurrence. God forbid I'd leave anything for day shift, however, because we all know patients sleep all night without complaint and we night nurses just sit around eating bon-bons. But that's beside the point.

I'm curious as to what you think should be done about this issue? It's obviously a problem for you all. Lord knows I've tried...

Tired, I'm just busting your chops...

I've come to realize that you guys know there are good and bad nurses, and I have worked w/ many crappy nurses (like clio described) that are seemingly untrainable...Heck, I even defended this thread when it was started, and chimed in w/ my own 2 cents...As a house sup I sometimes deal w/ more idiots than bright ones, and I have to solve all of their problems...

I will say that I personally respect anyone willing to go through med school and residency. But you chose this lot. You don't want to hear me bitch about my 36 hour week, fine...You have a point, but again, we all chose our lots in life (please save the "you went to nursing school b/c you couldn't handle med school bit JPH)

Anyway, FWIW, I hammer this stuff into my nursing students, so, at least there will be a few less lame ones around these parts every semester...

With all due respect, your "bad days" last 8-12hrs, 3-5 days a week. Then you go home. My "bad days" last 18-40hrs, 6-7 days a week, and are periodically punctuated by screaming from my residents and attendings who hold me personally responsible for every nursing screwup that occurs.

Don't bother trying to compare your frustrations with ours. There are a 168hrs in a week, and I spend 90-110 of them in the hospital putting out fires. Get two more full-time nursing jobs on top of the one you have now, then we will be happy to listen to your stories too.
Pretty presumptuous of you. Granted I don't work those hours now. Hell, at my age it would probably kill me. But years ago, I did. Between full-time work as an LPN while I went for my RN, full-time school and clinicals, and being a single Mom, I didn't see my own bed for days at a time.

I didn't think this was a contest to see who has suffered the most, however.

I didn't think this was a contest to see who has suffered the most, however.

With all the time some people are spending arguing this topic I would say the patient is suffering the most.

Get back to work, all of you!

(me too!)

:lol:

With all the time some people are spending arguing this topic I would say the patient is suffering the most.

Get back to work, all of you!

(me too!)

*is that an order?*

:laugh:

why does she talk so much? i know hijacks are fun but, for the love of god. stop the madness...pretty sure there's a nursing website, or three, that would loooove to hear all the nurses opinions. us? not really.

so...where were we. the stupidest thing a nurse ever paged you for?

What I believe, assuming everyone is being truthful here, is that Clio and CarolLadyBelle are great nurses who don't recognize the pain that their bad coworkers inflict on us.

I realize we're all getting lovey dovey in here, but I just wanted to add that this is the point. If a nurse has a "bad doctor" in charge of a patient and he's really messing things up, you may cringe but he's probably not going to be practicing for very long. If a doctor has just a few bad nurses, it's the end of the world. Because the nurses aren't going to get fired and I don't care what you say about you guys getting written up for wearing makeup. And meanwhile, what's going on?

Let me give you an analogy. A lot of nurses talk about how they have one or two "horrible" patients who keep bugging them every minute for everything. Even if most of your patients are average patients, just that one or two can make your life miserable. Now extrapolate that to the doctors where the nurses are the same way plus we also own the patient. Sure, I bet if I actually devoted all my time to it, I'd find that only a minority of nurses were bad and most average (I firmly repeat that I've only worked with two nurses that I actually felt were stellar), but guess what? It feels like it's the majority.

why does she talk so much? i know hijacks are fun but, for the love of god. stop the madness...pretty sure there's a nursing website, or three, that would loooove to hear all the nurses opinions. us? not really.

so...where were we. the stupidest thing a nurse ever paged you for?

I got paged this evening on my long-range pager. Who the hell would page someone at 7:30pm on their long-range pager for a BLOOD SUGAR needing insulin coverage.

Then, when I explained that the on-call doc is supposed to be called with these things she acted like she had never heard of such a thing.

Now, this nurse IS new but I KNOW she is aware of how to page the on-call person...I have gotten her pages before when I was on call.

I guess I cant be too mad because she is very cute. But please cute nurse, dont page me just because you like my sexy voice!

I like it when you walk down a floor and nurses randomly just yell out, "You! You! Are you Cards? No?" and then go back to reading a magazine. Half of time I'm very curious as to what they would have told me if I said yes. What burning question had been torturing them in between pages of Marie Claire or Redbook that had almost made them forget the quiz on "does he respect me?" But then I remember that I'm just trying to get off the floor incognito and I run away.

It feels like it's the majority.

I agree with this. It only takes one annoying page or one inconvenient screw-up per day to make me question every nurse at the hospital.

I had a little argument today with a nurse about Lantus. She wanted to get clarification from the attending about my 8am Lantus dose because, she says "Lantus is a QHS drug!"

I kindly tried to explain to her that Lantus is not a QHS drug but it can be given at any time of day...it just so happens that this particular hospital seems to prefer giving everyone their Lantus dose at 10pm.

Anything that is out of the "norm" for some of these nurses is wrong until they are given the explanation why it was done that way...and many times even an explanation doesnt make a difference...youre still the "ignorant intern".

Just like me giving Humalog to cover post-prandial sugars when "everyone always give Regular insulin...thats just how its done!" (that was from my very first night on call...got the nursing supervisor called on me for that one)

Sometimes its just easier NOT to explain things but rather confirm each order and let them think whatever they please.

God damn I have a lot of blood sugar stories! :eek:

Anyway...back to the topic at hand...stupid pages from Nurses.

I dont think we need anymore cheerleading from our RNs guests...they gave their input. Now, if they would like to share stupid RN pages as well I would love to read them. :D

I like it when you walk down a floor and nurses randomly just yell out, "You! You! Are you Cards? No?" and then go back to reading a magazine. Half of time I'm very curious as to what they would have told me if I said yes. What burning question had been torturing them in between pages of Marie Claire or Redbook that had almost made them forget the quiz on "does he respect me?" But then I remember that I'm just trying to get off the floor incognito and I run away.

:laugh:

I HATE this!

I will be in the middle of going over a note with a student or on the phone and I will get the "are you with GI?..GI?..GI?" as she goes from white coat to white coat.

Dammit woman, cant you read! Big red letters on my shoulder SURGERY

I got paged this evening on my long-range pager. Who the hell would page someone at 7:30pm on their long-range pager for a BLOOD SUGAR needing insulin coverage.

Then, when I explained that the on-call doc is supposed to be called with these things she acted like she had never heard of such a thing.

Now, this nurse IS new but I KNOW she is aware of how to page the on-call person...I have gotten her pages before when I was on call.

My boy, you haven't figured out the gang-pages? Where they page everybody at once? I remember as a wee med student, card-rounding in the morning with the team, and every resident's pagers went off within 30 seconds. Yeah, that nurse got yelled at. Don't pull that with surgery residents.

Ever gotten the "Never mind" pages? Don't let them get away with that. You paged me, I stopped what i was doing to call you back. Now, you're going to tell me why you paged. Don't care if "someone already called back." It's my patient and you paged me. Once they have to repeat everything twice, you magically stop getting gang-banged. I mean paged.

I had a little argument today with a nurse about Lantus. She wanted to get clarification from the attending about my 8am Lantus dose because, she says "Lantus is a QHS drug!"

That's the frustrating part, it's a total "you're dangerous because you have a little knowledge" syndrome. The best part is that one of my interns gave an incorrect dose of a med (over the max) and the nurse just gave it. Later when the problem was found, no harm done luckily, the nurse said that it is the doctor's responsibility to write the correct dose. Absolutely. But you can't have it both ways, where you have no repercussions, no responsibility, if wrong occurs and meanwhile you feel you have the right to do an inquisition on something you think is in error but really isn't. It's totally ass-backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.