I have a question, needing an answer.

colortastic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been doing college searching and looking at what majors colleges offer, and I ran across Clinical Laboratory Technologists. I did a little research but I couldn't find what I was looking for. So my question is, what would I have to do in order to be higher than a technologist? I know that a technologist is the lowest, but would going to medical school help or getting a masters in this major be better?

Or if this major is even worth pursuing for someone who wants to be a pathologist/diagnostician.

Members don't see this ad.

So I've been doing college searching and looking at what majors colleges offer, and I ran across Clinical Laboratory Technologists. I did a little research but I couldn't find what I was looking for. So my question is, what would I have to do in order to be higher than a technologist? I know that a technologist is the lowest, but would going to medical school help or getting a masters in this major be better?

Or if this major is even worth pursuing for someone who wants to be a pathologist/diagnostician.

I'm pretty sure these are the people running labs, e.g., for routine blood work. Little brain work is required.

If you want to be a pathologist or other physician you'd want to go to Medical School and you'd want a bachelors degree. You can major in any field as long as you complete the prerequisite course work.

You can get a masters or PhD before coming to medical school, but no degree higher than a bachelors is required.

There's a lot of good info in this thread if you want to read more:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=531553

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm. Okay thanks for the help guys! I've been doing more searching now and found that there is nothing higher than a technologist in Clinical Lab.

I believe the clinical lab technologist is typically the highest level non-physician in a lab. I have also heard that it is a job that will become very routine and uninteresting after a few years, and that much of your support staff (phlebotomists) are entry-level and high turnover, with all of the frustrations that working with such people entails.

Maybe there would be some value to it if you were set on being a pathologist, but medical school and residency will give you all the education and experience you need in order to be a competent doctor. Major in what you will do well in, and maybe what will help you out with the MCAT.

I agree with the above posters, just pursue a bachelors that you'll be interested in, then you will learn everything you need to become a pathologist in medical school and residency.

I would also recommend calling your local hospital and get a couple shadowing opportunities in the pathology lab with the pathologist and possibly the technicians and a PA or two.

Another great way to go is gross pathology as a PA. I would have done it in a heartbeat if I wasn't so sold on medicine. So just be sure you check out all your options.