Pretty easy to get into NHS when you have the answers to the science test.

Dr.Optic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I didn't get into NHS because of lack of volunteer hours I guess, and I am okay with that, I will be volunteering a lot this summer. Anyway, some kids got into NHS that shouldn't be in there. What I mean is they have volunteer hours, but they treat some of the teachers like crap. Some students have also found our science tests online and use them to look at the test ahead of time. It's easy to get an A on the test when you know the questions and answers. I know this is ranting, but I had to get this off my mind. I am kind of depressed I didn't get in, but I just had to get the fact that some kids cheated on the science test, who are NHS members, and that's how they can manage to get a high GPA. It just frustrates me they don't get caught, yet still get praise.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Okay, so I didn't get into NHS because of lack of volunteer hours I guess, and I am okay with that, I will be volunteering a lot this summer. Anyway, some kids got into NHS that shouldn't be in there. What I mean is they have volunteer hours, but they treat some of the teachers like crap. Some students have also found our science tests online and use them to look at the test ahead of time. It's easy to get an A on the test when you know the questions and answers. I know this is ranting, but I had to get this off my mind. I am kind of depressed I didn't get in, but I just had to get the fact that some kids cheated on the science test, who are NHS members, and that's how they can manage to get a high GPA. It just frustrates me they don't get caught, yet still get praise.
Life is not fair. Some people cheat and never get caught...sometimes it eventually catches up to them. But your job is to worry about YOU! Don't get wrapped up in worrying about how others are doing or what they're doing or how they're doing it. Again, LIFE IS NOT ALWAYS FAIR...learn to deal with it. Be the best "you" you can be.

Reactions: 1 user
why get upset about NHS? doesn't matter at all for college admissions , many high schools don't even have it. Doing the volunteering and being a good student is what matters, not a symbolic rubber stamp

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
why get upset about NHS? doesn't matter at all for college admissions , many high schools don't even have it. Doing the volunteering and being a good student is what matters, not a symbolic rubber stamp
Really? Everyone in my school says it's like a college admission booster so I was getting very depressed. Huh... Interesting.

Really? Everyone in my school says it's like a college admission booster so I was getting very depressed. Huh... Interesting.
You will hear all sorts of bogus during college admission times about various things. If many high schools do not even have/report something though (like not having NHS chapters, or not having class ranks) then it is not critical to have it for college admissions. The only major national thing is National Merit, after that it is just about taking rigorous courses, doing well in them, having high test scores, and having good ECs.

You will hear all sorts of bogus during college admission times about various things. If many high schools do not even have/report something though (like not having NHS chapters, or not having class ranks) then it is not critical to have it for college admissions. The only major national thing is National Merit, after that it is just about taking rigorous courses, doing well in them, having high test scores, and having good ECs.
Thank you for the information! It really helps!

Everyone and their mothers are in NHS. Admittingly, I also did not get in to NHS my junior year of highschool and I was an extracurricular mad man (president of I think 5-6 clubs). Many of my peers who actually did get in to NHS (including our lovely school drug dealer, yes, really) actually did not get in to "amazing" colleges moreso than others.

Point is that NHS has become less indicative of your performance in college but moreso just an auxiliary ceremony that bolsters "academic acheivement" for students when they're in highschool. In the eyes of college admissions, this will be FAR less important than showing that you're an individual who has engaged with a diverse number of organizations. And on top of that, it's much much much more important to maintain your grades.

Keep working on whatever it is you're doing. NHS is worthless, no matter what NHS themselves or other people tell you.

Completely agree. NHS is supposed to show academic achievement and dedication to community service. If your application shows those things anyways, it's just taking up space on your resume unless you're involved in its leadership or something.