I have a general publication question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IzzyMD09

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Case reports vs. Literature reviews

which one holds more clout,

also is there any website with a generalized outline as to how to structure a literature review for a medical journal, I have only found those focusing on written literature (english lit, world lit), if anyone has any good websites or insight please share

izzy

Members don't see this ad.

also is there any website with a generalized outline as to how to structure a literature review for a medical journal, I have only found those focusing on written literature (english lit, world lit), if anyone has any good websites or insight please share

izzy
I don't know what you mean by "more clout." A lit review, I believe, would take more effort (reviewing, digesting, and rewriting ~50 papers) than a case report (a write-up of one case).

Generalized outlines of papers to be submitted can be found on journal websites. For example, the Journal of Biomechanics has their author instructions posted here. If you were going to submit to them, then you'd follow their directions from that website.

While you're most likely in another field, most Elsevier publications follow about the same rules. What might be more helpful is to take a look at the Author gateway here, pick the journal you want to submit to, and follow what they've posted. Those rules will help you from there.

RxnMan
once again you have saved the day

izzy
:D

Members don't see this ad :)

izzy

If you are not a med student and have no access to OVID/Pubmed articles or whatever... then go to pubmed.com Search for a few literature reviews... write down the name of the journal, date of the article, name of the first author and the title... go to your med school library and go look up the journals... copy them and use them as a reference for style.

As for typing style... each journal has its own style so you will need to go to the journal website and check out guidlines for authors and see what they have to say.

Which is better Literature Review or Case Report? Literature Review IMO. Case Report is a resident's way of taking care of a publishing requirement... Having said that, the IF of where the Review or Report is published is the real power behind it. IF = Impact Factor. Good luck...

...Which is better Literature Review or Case Report? Literature Review IMO. Case Report is a resident's way of taking care of a publishing requirement... Having said that, the IF of where the Review or Report is published is the real power behind it. IF = Impact Factor. Good luck...
This is pretty much what I was talking about. Neither involve much independent thought and nor involve any testing. I wouldn't say either has clout from a research perspective.

In the medical profession,

a case report = describing a new disease, or an old disease presenting in a new fashion, in order to notify fellow clinicians

a lit review = condensing lots of articles to one gestalt and saving time (I've seen students using this as a way to satisfy article requirements as well).

i think there's no question that a case report is (much) less work than a literature review.

case reports average 1000-1200 words, and often have a limit to the number of references it can have (about 7) and figures (one).

a literature review however... i've seen some published in top journals that are over 30 pages, and with over 200 references. if ur aiming for a top journal, expect to basically write a book chapter on the topic, using all primary sources. not only do u have to write it well, but most top journals require that u are an "authority" in the field before they will even consider YOUR review.

unless ur an expert in an area, i wouldn't even think about trying to write a lit review. chances are, someone who knows more about your topic than you do has already written one, or a chapter, or a book on the subject.