I hate my "Doctoring" class - a sign I will hate third year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Conando

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
During firs tyear, my school has a doctoring class where we learn H&P skills, and I freaking hate it. I dread going to it every week.

At first, I thought it was because we have to practice on each other rather than practicing on patients. So I tried going to the local clinic and practicing on real patients, and it still sucks. I would rather study Microbio and Biochem than do this stuff.

A sign I will hate third year rotations? A sign maybe I shouldn't even be in medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah crap, but I hated Anatomy. Histo was fine though.

I hate clinic, and I hate rounding. However, I thought third year was awesome, and I like anesthesia a lot. There's hope for you yet. :)

Ah crap, but I hated Anatomy. Histo was fine though.

There are other specialties where the standard general H&P doesn't play a large role. In addition to the ones mentioned psych is another one. Also many surgical areas have a much quicker/efficient way of doing the H&P. In general adult medicine a very large percentage of diagnoses can be made by the H&P and that's why it's harped on and it's a skill that's good to have. But many specialties use shorter versions and have more of their day to day time taken up by procedures/surgeries. You definitely won't be becoming a hospitalist though lol

You won't necessarily hate third year but you'll probably hate internal medicine

No, just because you hate your "doctoring" class 1st year, does not portend poorly for third year or a career in medicine. Those courses always suck and have no relation to real clinical medicine--this is a non-issue. To be fair, though, you probably will hate third year anyway, as it is a whole bag of suck too, just for different reasons.

Psych's H and Ps / documentation seems to take them forever.

Those classes are terrible for a vast majority of people because they go overboard on the cheesiness and empathy aspect of an encounter. You'll learn that by just being a decent human being your patients will like you just fine. I also hated doing H&P's at that stage because it felt like it took 3 hours just to do one. Don't worry, you'll be fine.

I like the idea of the doctoring class, but I hate going to it.

It'd definitely be much more interesting if I knew why we do the things we're doing. I think doctoring as an M2 will be much more interesting since I'll be learning more about pathology and things we should look for during a physical exam and what pertinent positives and negatives in the ROS actually mean...

I thought doctoring class sucked a big one, but I've enjoyed third year. Even the rotations that involve things I hate (rounding and chronic disease management) I haven't disliked terribly, I just know that I don't want to do them for a career.

We didnt do the physical part until the beginning of the second year, whats the point doing it now? Unless you have a non-traditional curriculum there is no way anything is going to make sense.

Here is the good thing you have to look forward to...each time you do it becomes more automatic, eventually you more trying to talking to someone and trying to solve a problem (than constantly thinking i measured the liver span, whats next?). I am only a year ahead of you and even with ~12 full HPs I have got to the point where it is pretty chill and I am just making small talk.

But if you are saying you dont like the patient interaction part of medicine dont worry there are plenty of specialties where you can avoid that.

What's funny is that before med school, when I shadowed a few PCPs, all that stuff looked interesting. Now that I'm in the driver's seat, it's been a huge disappointment.

What's funny is that before med school, when I shadowed a few PCPs, all that stuff looked interesting. Now that I'm in the driver's seat, it's been a huge disappointment.

You are in no way "in the driver's seat."

I thought doctoring class sucked a big one, but I've enjoyed third year. Even the rotations that involve things I hate (rounding and chronic disease management) I haven't disliked terribly, I just know that I don't want to do them for a career.
Glad to hear.