Third-Year Undecided on Specialty -- Advice Appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone --

Currently over half-way through third-year and had to do an honest assessment of what specialty I would like to pursue. From MS1 through a portion of MS3, I was pursuing Ortho pretty intensely but realized the OR was not someplace where I thrived nor enjoyed as much as I initially anticipated. I would appreciate any and all advice! Thank you in advance.

Medical School: Mid to Upper Tier MD
STEP 1: 24x (selected for a research fellowship between MS2 and MS3 hence the score)
Publications: ~ 10 PubMed Indexed plus another ~ 25 national and regional conference presentations and abstracts
Awards: 2-3 University / National Research Awards, still waiting on AOA status but think there's a good chance
Leadership: President of multiple organizations ranging from medical student groups to non-profits

Things I Value in a Specialty:
1) Potential for medical advancement through technological and/or medical device innovation (i.e. ML / AI etc.)
2) Opportunity to see diverse medical conditions and presentations on a regular basis
3) Realized neurological conditions / anatomy is something that I enjoyed more-so than other areas like MSK
4) Lifestyle is important but not paramount
5) Opportunity for teaching medical students or residents

Thank you again! Just trying to gather some insight so I can make adequate plans for fourth year.

Members don't see this ad.

What do you lean towards?

Surgical / procedural-based specialties? More cerebral diagnostic work?

Kids / adults? Want to work more alone / isolated ?

Or lots of people / patient interaction? Long-term patient relationships?

Members don't see this ad :)
Neurorads, rad onc, neuro, PM&R

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with above suggestions, would also add sports med if you liked the parts of ortho where you're not in the OR. It's basically non operative ortho but lots of cool office procedures

Thank you all -- very good considerations. The specialty-selector inventory indicated Rads, Derm, and Urology when I last took it. Rads was > 90% which wasn't surprising given that I have really enjoyed my Rads rotation with some time in NeuroRads.

Thank you all -- very good considerations. The specialty-selector inventory indicated Rads, Derm, and Urology when I last took it. Rads was > 90% which wasn't surprising given that I have really enjoyed my Rads rotation with some time in NeuroRads.
Seems like you have your answer. Rads is probably in line with your stated goals.