MD & DO Class of 2024/MS3s: How popular is neuro amongst other third years at your school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1139416

Third year med student year, and wow, neuro has become very popular at my school - up to around 11 people! Normally about 3 people match every year so I am not sure what this is about. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I know of 2 people in my class who want to apply neuro. Hard to say though because my class is big and I haven’t talked to everyone about their interests.

Current M4 applying neuro, our class is around 200 people and about 10 or so have gone into neuro/child neuro each year for some time now. This year it’s slightly higher.

So about 5% of students from our year go into adult or child neuro each year

Psych, Rads, and Anesthesia are the fields that have become much more popular at my school in recent years

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The class above me had 2/148, and my class only had me out of 144. So not very popular and probably one of the reasons it has stayed noncompetitive and IMG friendly.

Last edited:
Neuro is never competitive. Most people don't like it.

Reactions: 1 users
Not neuro(logy) but my school is going to have 10+ people applying to neurosurgery next year. I blame P/F Step 1. Maybe Step 2 will filter some out.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
My school consistently only has about 2% to 4% of students apply to neuro or child neuro for the past several years.

I think the popularity of applying neuro (and most specialties, in general) relies almost entirely on how your school's rotation is. Your school probably has a pretty fantastic experience in the neuro clerkship this year, whereas ours is fine, but nothing to write home about. Also irregularities just happen sometimes.

Reactions: 1 user