I hate immunology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BuffaloPills

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just complaining when I should be studying.

T cells B cells antibody blah blah blah

Complement C3bBb C4b2a C3 convertase blah blah blah

MHC class I class II Profesional antigen presenting cells blah blah blah

I'm sure other schools' immunology courses are just as in depth, but (the ultimate rhetorical question asked every other day in my class, ha) are we ever going to use this knowledge at walgreens?

Thanks I needed that

Members don't see this ad.

I did my undergrad degree in immunology. Right now I'm enjoying the entry level immunology we're taking in pharmacy school.;)

Members don't see this ad :)
So much memorizing!!!

Do you happen to go to school in Mass? Lol. I feel ya.

I'm sure other schools' immunology courses are just as in depth, but (the ultimate rhetorical question asked every other day in my class, ha) are we ever going to use this knowledge at walgreens?

Thanks I needed that

No, but you do need it to understand your drug and therapeutic's class. You also need it if you want to go into clinical, industrial, etc.

Immunology provides you the understanding for infectious diease, type 1-4 reactions, SJS, TEN, differences between anaphylatic or anaphyoid, anticonvulsant hypersenstivity reaction, etc. All of this is crucial if you want to become a toxicologist, drug info, clinical, research/industrial pharmacist, etc.

You need your drug and therapeutic classes for the boards in case if you are wondering why you need all of the above for.

The boards allow you to get licenses which allows you to become a pharmacist at Walgreens.

Thanks I needed that

Yep, I am not liking Immuno today either. :mad:

Immunology was one of my favorite classes! But I understand there are certain classes that you either hate or just don't see the point in taking. There were several like that for me. Hang in there. Semester is almost over.

I hated Immunology too. I would stare at the notes until I had memorized the pages completely.

Things to remember for the long term (so that you know what they're talking about in Therapeutics): T cells, B cells, macrophages, neutrophils, and granulocytes. Histamines are important too.

I say F immuno too (my prof just sucks, but idk if that would really help), but the further into class we go into, the more it applies to actual clinical matters, i.e. with patients who actually have drug allergies and not just allergy to NSAID = GI upset.

It's just that, going through complement cascade and T cell development and etc is really really tedious, and then they associate disorders with these to actual diseases you may/may not have heard of. It still sucks, but it's kinda important...unless you just want to count pills and never talk to any health professionals, in which case i'd suggest you find old exams or someone's shoulder to look over.

In theory, it's an interesting class, but I hated that class too. I think it has a lot to do with the professors. I hated the professors that taught that class. They were just HORRIBLE. I feel like I learned nothing, which is pretty sad.

I expected the class to be interesting, but in reality i just got annoyed with all of the abbreviations. paragraphs later i forget what things stand for!!

My immunology was very poorly taught, but it was still useful for my research project... most likely when people say they hate a class is that the professor(s) simply cannot teach.

You need immunology to understand the immune-mediated diseases (from AIDS and rheumathoid arthirits to lymphomas) and the therapies that targed immune system. There are all kinds of monoclonal antibodies, peptides, and who knows what in development - and that seems to be the way of the future. Believe me, trying to figure that on your own is a lot more painful. I know from experience, because my research project (I was looking at cytokines released by myeloma cells) started before I took immunology. Things instantly improved once I actually had the class, though because of poor teachers I probably learned about 1/10 of what I should have.

I hated that class. I had an awesome prof, but that didn't stop me from skipping, till i crapped out a couple tests. :eek: You'll use little to none of it in later classes.

I took Immunology one year ago. I did not study at all for that class b/c her class is very easy. The level was 400 but it was easy. She provided only pictures from the powerpoint and we had to go to her lecture to take notes. Textbook is not required. I didn't study but i got C+ at the end of semister :D

I like immunology. Maybe because I like physiology? I think they're all very interesting :love:

I like immunology. Maybe because I like physiology? I think they're all very interesting :love:

I agree. I just Physiology 1,2 and Immunology and very much liked both.