I got a 262 on Step 1 and a 281 on Step 2 CK, ask me anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USMLE_Pro

Founder of USMLE Pro
Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been giving a lot of advice to people on the Step 1 and Step 2 subforums, but wanted to post here as well for those who stick to the main forum. I'm also finally done with residency interviews and have time again to respond to your questions quickly.

Feel free to ask me anything!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
What resources do you contribute your high scores to?

Congrats on being done with interviews!

Members don't see this ad :)
What resources do you contribute your high scores to?

Congrats on being done with interviews!

Thank you! I think for Step 1, making my own Anki cards based on my UWorld incorrects and studying the NBME Comprehensive Basic Science Self Assessments (CBSSAs) were the most critical things I did. I spent most of my time on practice questions, and didn't try to memorize FA (I cross-referenced it when I made my cards and skimmed the entire book the week before my test, but I never tried to memorize it). I also used Pathoma at the beginning of my studying. Sticking to a few very well done resources, and focusing on memorizing the most highly tested content (rather than every possible detail that could maybe be tested because it showed up in First Aid) worked well for me.

For Step 2 CK, I used OnlineMedEd videos during my clerkships to learn the basics and did the CMS practice tests for each shelf exam. When it came time to study for Step 2, I redid half of UWorld and all of the NBME Comprehensive Clinical Science Self Assessments (CCSSAs). Again, reviewing the NBMEs very closely was instrumental to my success, and I felt that my most high-yield studying for Step 2 was reviewing those exams.

Reactions: 2 users
And were you an A student?

My first two years of med school were pass/fail and we aren't ranked, and I was always in the top half or top quarter of my class. I didn't do any Step 1 type studying until my dedicated period, but I did third-year (including shelf exams) before Step 1, and did well on most of my clinical clerkships (but not one of those students with perfect grades--I definitely tried harder and learned more on the rotations I was most interested in).

@usmle Pro
Thank you so much for doing this. My appreciation! I have 2 questions
1/ How do you approach studying NBME Comprehensive Basic Science Self Assessments (CBSSAs)? I haven't done one yet but I think they have no explanation. Do you find the answer/explanation by your self?

2/ If you was in my shoes, what point would you seek out a tutor like yourself before it's too late? I schedule april 28th for my test. Dedicated start on 1/1/2019

Hi!
I am IMG, graduated from Medical School in 2014, currently doing Residency in Biochemistry in my home country. (Since July 2018)
I wish to apply for Pathology Residency in US. To follow the path, I've received the ECFMG Certification, with Step 1 score 256, step 2 CK 251, PASS in CS. I plan to give Step 3 by May 2019, do 3-4 months Observerships in Pathology for good LORs'. So far I don't have any USCE.
Can anyone help me understand whats the best way to approach to get a Observership in Pathology?

Thank you for reading this. Any little input can be valuable to me.

@usmle Pro
Thank you so much for doing this. My appreciation! I have 2 questions
1/ How do you approach studying NBME Comprehensive Basic Science Self Assessments (CBSSAs)? I haven't done one yet but I think they have no explanation. Do you find the answer/explanation by your self?

2/ If you was in my shoes, what point would you seek out a tutor like yourself before it's too late? I schedule april 28th for my test. Dedicated start on 1/1/2019

1) I spent a lot of time reviewing each CBSSA. They don't have explanations, but now at least show you the correct answer. I cross-referenced First Aid and just generally googled the underlying concept to explain things to myself. It took a lot of time to do this. I've found a lot of forum explanations very very misleading and advise people not to rely on those. My own school has an internal document with "explanations", many of which are completely incorrect. The process of looking things up and figuring things out is difficult, but this process will help you retain information better long-term.

2) You can PM me for advice on things like this if you want to describe your specific situation. Many people do not need a tutor and this thread is just for general advice.

Hi!
I am IMG, graduated from Medical School in 2014, currently doing Residency in Biochemistry in my home country. (Since July 2018)
I wish to apply for Pathology Residency in US. To follow the path, I've received the ECFMG Certification, with Step 1 score 256, step 2 CK 251, PASS in CS. I plan to give Step 3 by May 2019, do 3-4 months Observerships in Pathology for good LORs'. So far I don't have any USCE.
Can anyone help me understand whats the best way to approach to get a Observership in Pathology?

Thank you for reading this. Any little input can be valuable to me.

Let me get back to you on this (PM me to remind me if you don't hear from me soon). My stepdad is an academic pathologist and I asked him, will let you know what he says.

Let me get back to you on this (PM me to remind me if you don't hear from me soon). My stepdad is an academic pathologist and I asked him, will let you know what he says
Sure. Thanks for giving it your consideration.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello @USMLE_Pro thanks for doing this. I start DO school in the summer and I want to do a slow and steady wins the race approach to doing well on the USMLE. What type of prep would you advice doing during M1, if any at all?

Would you advise doing as well as you possibly can on your classes and not doing any prep during M1?
Or would you advise doing things such as review anki and CBSSAs along side my classes?

I want to be slow and comprehensive in order to not burn out, but I also don't want to get lost in every detail imaginable. Any advice helps, thanks!

Hello @USMLE_Pro thanks for doing this. I start DO school in the summer and I want to do a slow and steady wins the race approach to doing well on the USMLE. What type of prep would you advice doing during M1, if any at all?

Would you advise doing as well as you possibly can on your classes and not doing any prep during M1?
Or would you advise doing things such as review anki and CBSSAs along side my classes?

I want to be slow and comprehensive in order to not burn out, but I also don't want to get lost in every detail imaginable. Any advice helps, thanks!

It's great that you are thinking about this early! I think CBSSAs before 2nd year are not necessary. Some people do not need to do any prep during M1, but for others it can be very helpful. The approach I would recommend, particularly if you are currently not the best standardized test-taker, is to use UWorld along with your M1 classes (going by subject) and to make your own Anki cards based on your incorrects, targeted at the facts that you need to memorize to get a similar question right the next time. Getting this reps of questions in, and critically analyzing why you are getting questions wrong, will be the best way to slowly improve your test-taking skills over time. The main focus during M1 should be doing well in your classes (from the perspective of learning! since most schools are pass/fail). Good luck!

Hi USMLE Pro

Thanks again for your help to us fellow students! I am currently using ome, zanki, and uworld. I am also reading master the boards. Do you recommend any of these books, mtb, step up 2 medicine, vs first aid?
Did you use any premade flashcards?
Do you have photographic memory haha!

Lastly, what field of medicine are you interested in?

TIA!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi USMLE Pro

Thanks again for your help to us fellow students! I am currently using ome, zanki, and uworld. I am also reading master the boards. Do you recommend any of these books, mtb, step up 2 medicine, vs first aid?
Did you use any premade flashcards?
Do you have photographic memory haha!

Lastly, what field of medicine are you interested in?

TIA!

Thank you for the kind words! I assume you are referring to Step 1 Prep? I think it is still useful to cross-reference FA, but in general, reading is a very poor way to retain content long-term (you'll forget about 90% of what you just read after two weeks). UW, FA, Pathoma, and the NBMEs have all the info you need! Most people do not spend enough time reviewing the NBMEs; in my opinion, they are very high-yield.

I didn't use any premade cards! I made my own and had something under 1,500 cards total for Step 1.
I have a good memory but definitely not photographic! I have some classmates with near-eidetic memories and I'm nowhere near that. I just focus only on active learning strategies and spaced repetition to make sure I can retain the information I study.

Thank you for the kind words! I assume you are referring to Step 1 Prep? I think it is still useful to cross-reference FA, but in general, reading is a very poor way to retain content long-term (you'll forget about 90% of what you just read after two weeks). UW, FA, Pathoma, and the NBMEs have all the info you need! Most people do not spend enough time reviewing the NBMEs; in my opinion, they are very high-yield.

I didn't use any premade cards! I made my own and had something under 1,500 cards total for Step 1.
I have a good memory but definitely not photographic! I have some classmates with near-eidetic memories and I'm nowhere near that. I just focus only on active learning strategies and spaced repetition to make sure I can retain the information I study.

Sorry I didn't clarify, I am studying for step 2!

1) I spent a lot of time reviewing each CBSSA. You can PM me for advice on things like this if you want to describe your specific situation. Many people do not need a tutor and this thread is just for general advice.
Message sent. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Hey guys, I've been giving a lot of advice to people on the Step 1 and Step 2 subforums, but wanted to post here as well for those who stick to the main forum. I'm also finally done with residency interviews and have time again to respond to your questions quickly.

Congrats on your superhigh scores!!!

just wondering,
- did you use textbooks much in your studying? some say FA doesn't cover all possible content, what's your opinion on FA content coverage?
- how did you do on practice exams? is there a % correct you would recommend aiming for to get >250?
- in general, do u see any trends among ppl who did really well on boards in ur class & the way they studied during preclinical years?

Congrats on your superhigh scores!!!

just wondering,
- did you use textbooks much in your studying? some say FA doesn't cover all possible content, what's your opinion on FA content coverage?
- how did you do on practice exams? is there a % correct you would recommend aiming for to get >250?
- in general, do u see any trends among ppl who did really well on boards in ur class & the way they studied during preclinical years?

Thank you for your kind words! These are interesting questions.

- No, no textbooks, AT ALL! Reading is one of the worst ways to retain content long-term (you'll forget 90% of what you just read after 2 weeks). I used the UW explanations and the NBMEs as content sources (and of course Pathoma) and only used FA as a cross-reference when making cards based on my incorrects. I focused very very much on doing questions and learning from questions.

- I would not spend any mental energy thinking about % correct. This just induces anxiety. I never counted my percent correct or thought about this. My practice test scores ranged from the 230s to 250s for Step 1. For Step 2 CK, they ranged from 240s to low 270 on a UWSA (which over-predicts). I tend to do better on actual exams as adrenaline seems to help motivate me.

- There is such a range, in my own case, I was someone who did not study particularly hard during the first 2 years of med school b/c it was pass/fail (I'm a little bit of a procrastinator and would often mostly study close to the exam, I don't pay attention well in lectures, but I did learn well in tutorials because I love discussions and to be honest learned the most from teaching other classmates). But we took Step 1 after third-year, which was very lucky for me because I loved third year and learned so much. Working with patients was extremely motivating for me and I think I made up for some knowledge gaps by virtue of that. However, most of my non-clinical Step 1 content was learned in the 7 weeks before my exam using spaced repetition and focusing on questions. I would say that the people who did less well than they wanted often focused too much on memorizing and FA (and did questions and practice tests too late). These were not uncommonly people in the top quartile who studied super hard (and could excel on in-class exams) but maybe weren't the best test-takers or efficient studiers (more of an OCD-like focus on memorizing EVERYTHING, rather than the truly high-yield stuff). Some people with anxiety also had more trouble (particularly doing worse on the exam than their practice tests). I wouldn't worry about other people and take my story to mean that you can achieve a lot in a dedicated study period even if you didn't do boards studying previously, as long as you use the right methods and don't have too much too improve in terms of test-taking (if the latter is true, you need to start with questions much earlier).

Thank you for your kind words! These are interesting questions.

- No, no textbooks, AT ALL! Reading is one of the worst ways to retain content long-term (you'll forget 90% of what you just read after 2 weeks). I used the UW explanations and the NBMEs as content sources (and of course Pathoma) and only used FA as a cross-reference when making cards based on my incorrects. I focused very very much on doing questions and learning from questions.

- I would not spend any mental energy thinking about % correct. This just induces anxiety. I never counted my percent correct or thought about this. My practice test scores ranged from the 230s to 250s for Step 1. For Step 2 CK, they ranged from 240s to low 270 on a UWSA (which over-predicts). I tend to do better on actual exams as adrenaline seems to help motivate me.

- There is such a range, in my own case, I was someone who did not study particularly hard during the first 2 years of med school b/c it was pass/fail (I'm a little bit of a procrastinator and would often mostly study close to the exam, I don't pay attention well in lectures, but I did learn well in tutorials because I love discussions and to be honest learned the most from teaching other classmates). But we took Step 1 after third-year, which was very lucky for me because I loved third year and learned so much. Working with patients was extremely motivating for me and I think I made up for some knowledge gaps by virtue of that. However, most of my non-clinical Step 1 content was learned in the 7 weeks before my exam using spaced repetition and focusing on questions. I would say that the people who did less well than they wanted often focused too much on memorizing and FA (and did questions and practice tests too late). These were not uncommonly people in the top quartile who studied super hard (and could excel on in-class exams) but maybe weren't the best test-takers or efficient studiers (more of an OCD-like focus on memorizing EVERYTHING, rather than the truly high-yield stuff). Some people with anxiety also had more trouble (particularly doing worse on the exam than their practice tests). I wouldn't worry about other people and take my story to mean that you can achieve a lot in a dedicated study period even if you didn't do boards studying previously, as long as you use the right methods and don't have too much too improve in terms of test-taking (if the latter is true, you need to start with questions much earlier).

Thanks for explaining your study process! This is incredibly helpful advice

When did you start doing uworld as to make your anki cards? Did you start durning 2nd year or just dedicated? Also, if it was only during dedicated what did you do during the year to prepare for boards?
Thank you

When did you start doing uworld as to make your anki cards? Did you start durning 2nd year or just dedicated?
Thank you

I took Step 1 after 3rd year. So I started doing UWorld for Step 1 at the beginning of my 7 week Step 1 dedicated period. So in short, just dedicated, but I had a fairly long dedicated allowed for by my school, given that we take Step 1 after third year without any other time off for Step studying built in.

Also, if it was only during dedicated what did you do during the year to prepare for boards?

In my first two years, I just focused on keeping up with my preclinical courses (my school is pass/fail). For third year, I learned a lot from my patients (worked much harder than in my first two years, a lot of reading UpToDate and some watching OnlineMedEd videos). For shelf exams, I did UW and the CMS NBME forms. Otherwise, no Step 1 studying until dedicated!

I took Step 1 after 3rd year. So I started doing UWorld for Step 1 at the beginning of my 7 week Step 1 dedicated period. So in short, just dedicated, but I had a fairly long dedicated allowed for by my school, given that we take Step 1 after third year without any other time off for Step studying built in.
Thank you