I got a 2220 SAT, am I smart enough to get into med school?

He got a 2220 on his SAT and he doesn't know the path into medical school. Sorry, but that amuses me. Am I the only one who noticed that?

Members don't see this ad.

No, but you're probably the only one who thought there was some connection there. Why would one's SAT score have anything to do with knowing how to apply to med school?

No, but you're probably the only one who thought there was some connection there. Why would one's SAT score have anything to do with knowing how to apply to med school?

Perhaps I worded that wrong. What I meant to say is 'how can someone who got a 2220 on their SAT not be able to figure out how to get into medical school?'

So either he came here just to brag, which is probably the case, or the more hilarious idea that he is incapable of using google to find a legitimate answer to his questions. If he can't use google, then he's not smart enough to get into med school. But obviously he can because, well...he had to find this site somehow. So, he's just gloating.

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps I worded that wrong. What I meant to say is 'how can someone who got a 2220 on their SAT not be able to figure out how to get into medical school?'

So either he came here just to brag, which is probably the case, or the more hilarious idea that he is incapable of using google to find a legitimate answer to his questions. If he can't use google, then he's not smart enough to get into med school. But obviously he can because, well...he had to find this site somehow. So, he's just gloating.

:confused: Faulty logic FTL?

I'd like to point out that these "I whooped my high school valedictorian" stories don't always pan out. Sometimes the kids that were slammin' it in high school keep whooping your butt in college too. Don't assume that something magical will happen to you when you get to college. This isn't directed at the OP or anyone in general. Just something I've noticed a lot of that I feel should be addressed.

lol the SAT and ACT are easy. I had a high 3.x GPA in high school and I didn't even know what studying past 30 mins truly was until college. Everyone for the most part is like this. Don't get a big head.

I'm a high school senior with a 2220 SAT (670cr, 750m, 800w).

I have a 3.99 unweighted GPA.

Although I know college will broaden my interests, I can really only think of medicine right now, even after considering a lot of other careers.

I just have a lot of self-doubt right now. How much of being premed is "talent" compared with raw determination? I work hard for my grades, but I feel I'm sometimes a little slow in fully absorbing concepts.

I'm really bored right now, so don't say I shouldn't even be asking this question. Indulge me, please.

I got a 780M/650V, so that's about the same as your 750M+670CR. Also, your unweighted GPA is way higher than mine was (~3.75).

You'll be fine, have some confidence. Maintain a college GPA like that and score mid-thirties or higher on the MCAT and you'll get into a top tier school, provided you aren't dot man (one dimensional).

Oh one more thing. Some people in undergrad and medical school will be so smart it will make you feel like a *****. They probably WILL absorb concepts much faster than you will. This happens to most of us, and it happens to me every week in medical school. When it happens, recognize that it's normal and move on.

Last edited:
only a 2220? pretty average, but i think you still have a shot at med school.

:confused: Faulty logic FTL?

I'd like to point out that these "I whooped my high school valedictorian" stories don't always pan out. Sometimes the kids that were slammin' it in high school keep whooping your butt in college too. Don't assume that something magical will happen to you when you get to college. This isn't directed at the OP or anyone in general. Just something I've noticed a lot of that I feel should be addressed.

I don't get how that's faulty logic?

A: Either the guy is gloating
B: The guy is stupid

He has a 2220 and a 3.99 GPA, so he's not stupid.
I would assume he is capable of searching the internet.

Therefore, the A is a viable explanation. Can you PLEASE tell me how that doesn't make sense?

Just to humor you, I'll throw in a C: the possibility that he has considered the path to becoming a doctor, heard how hard it was, stressed himself out wondering if he stood a chance, and we end up here.

Either way, its A or C. Its not faulty logic.

I deserve that, but at least I know my naivety is bursting at the seams, hence the "I'm really bored right now" and the "Indulge me."

This really was a semi-meaningless thread, and I (hopefully) won't go to this site that often. I just wanted to feel a little better before going to college, as well as elicit some interesting insight from you experienced guys.

It's just nice to know that I just have to put in the work and not be too worried about how my IQ would compromise all that hard work come MCAT time or something like that. I won't burn out...

Thanks, guys.

Therefore, the A is a viable explanation. Can you PLEASE tell me how that doesn't make sense?

Just to humor you, I'll throw in a C: the possibility that he has considered the path to becoming a doctor, heard how hard it was, stressed himself out wondering if he stood a chance, and we end up here.

It's definitely A, cheif. :laugh::laugh::laugh: He wanted to "feel a "little better" before going to college". :laugh::laugh:

So he tells us his grades and stats in h.s. and we pour showers of praise all over him :cool::cool:

@ Narmerguy - lol at the valedictorian thing. :laugh:

Well, I would assume that he DID search the internet and came about this website.

I have a 4.99997 and a 2399 SAT.
smiley_smug.gif
I also take graduate level courses through the local Ivy league university and lead a research group of Nobel prize laureates.
smiley_smug.gif
Do you guys think I'm smart enough for medical school?
smiley_smug.gif

Deep down, I'm not a gloating troll.

But also deep down, I know that I'm probably capable of doing well in premed reqs, MCAT, etc. I honestly just wanted to hear you guys talk about "cutoffs" and what being premed actually takes.

Deep down, I'm not a gloating troll.

But also deep down, I know that I'm probably capable of doing well in premed reqs, MCAT, etc. I honestly just wanted to hear you guys talk about "cutoffs" and what being premed actually takes.

You would not be the first with those stats to get into medical school nor would you be the first to fall by the wayside. Work hard in college and keep an open mind. And run away from this website before things get nasty.

Members don't see this ad :)
smiley_smug.gif
I also take graduate level courses through the local Ivy league university and lead a research group of Nobel prize laureates.
smiley_smug.gif
smiley_smug.gif

haha those smileys are hilarious! :laugh:

I got an SAT score higher than the OP's. Big deal. I'm not entitled to anything.

I'm using this to prove a point, and perhaps to brag (juuust a little). But what I see too often is that people think a certain score on a standardized test will mean they can achieve certain things. The SAT is an attempt at measurement of ability in college, not medical school or law school or business school. Leave it at that.

I got an SAT score higher than the OP's. Big deal. I'm not entitled to anything.

I'm using this to prove a point, and perhaps to brag (juuust a little). But what I see too often is that people think a certain score on a standardized test will mean they can achieve certain things. The SAT is an attempt at measurement of ability in college, not medical school or law school or business school. Leave it at that.

:thumbdown:

...and, judging by your responses, perhaps higher than both of yours, too, if you're so distracted by my first sentence to miss the rest of my point.

A high SAT score doesn't mean someone can get into medical school. It also doesn't mean someone can get a printer to work, which is what I'm trying to do right now.

...and, judging by your responses, perhaps higher than both of yours, too, if you're so distracted by my first sentence to miss the rest of my point.

A high SAT score doesn't mean someone can get into medical school. It also doesn't mean someone can get a printer to work, which is what I'm trying to do right now.

I didn't take the SAT when it was out of 2400. I also didn't study for the SAT at all. We were referring to your unnecessary score reference. You didn't add anything meaningful to the discussion with your post.

Yeah, even you said it was pointless, so why would you include your score. Unnecessary info and quite frankly, I don't care that you got a higher score. It doesn't make you any smarter. In this case, its making you look like an :smuggrin:

Yeah, even you said it was pointless, so why would you include your score. Unnecessary info and quite frankly, I don't care that you got a higher score. It doesn't make you any smarter. In this case, its making you look like an :smuggrin:

I didn't take the SAT when it was out of 2400. I also didn't study for the SAT at all. We were referring to your unnecessary score reference. You didn't add anything meaningful to the discussion with your post.

I used it to demonstrate my attitude towards what the SAT can or cannot measure. If I didn't state that, I'd look like another jealous person. WashMe, you've even mentioned your own SAT score in this thread so what makes you think I'm out of line in referencing my own score?

I used it to demonstrate my attitude towards what the SAT can or cannot measure. If I didn't state that, I'd look like another jealous person. WashMe, you've even mentioned your own SAT score in this thread so what makes you think I'm out of line in referencing my own score?

Shades of gray, but I made it clear I was not bragging. You even said you were sort of bragging. I was illustrating a point: with an SAT score in the same range as the OP, I was accepted into a great medical school. Your post came across— perhaps unintentionally— as intellectual posturing.

He mentioned his own score to reassure the OP that there is no reason to stress over his score.

You were out of line because your score would have no effect on the "point" you were trying to make. What does your high SAT score have to do with your opinion that the SAT doesn't effect med school? You see where I'm going with this?

And BTW, of course we all know the SAT isn't a direct indicator of readiness for med school. If so, we would take the SAT instead of the MCAT for med school. What everybody else is saying is that an SAT is supposed to be an indicator of success in college. Since you have to be pretty **** good in college to get into medical school, there is a link between SAT scores and medical school readiness.

Shades of gray, but I made it clear I was not bragging. You even said you were sort of bragging. I was illustrating a point: with an SAT score in the same range as the OP, I was accepted into a great medical school. Your post came across— perhaps unintentionally— as intellectual posturing.

He mentioned his own score to reassure the OP that there is no reason to stress over his score.

You were out of line because your score would have no effect on the "point" you were trying to make. What does your high SAT score have to do with your opinion that the SAT doesn't effect med school? You see where I'm going with this?

And BTW, of course we all know the SAT isn't a direct indicator of readiness for med school. If so, we would take the SAT instead of the MCAT for med school. What everybody else is saying is that an SAT is supposed to be an indicator of success in college. Since you have to be pretty **** good in college to get into medical school, there is a link between SAT scores and medical school readiness.

I was offering my perspective. I do believe that the mention of my score is relevant, and that is that even with a good SAT score, I know it doesn't mean I am entitled to anything. The OP's question came across like he thought a certain SAT score would equal a sure bet in getting into medical school.

There's always going to be some degree of ego-stroking on SDN, so I really think the both of you are overreacting.

I was offering my perspective. I do believe that the mention of my score is relevant, and that is that even with a good SAT score, I know it doesn't mean I am entitled to anything. The OP's question came across like he thought a certain SAT score would equal a sure bet in getting into medical school.

There's always going to be some degree of ego-stroking on SDN, so I really think the both of you are overreacting.

Perhaps

:smuggrin:
I'm digging up old stuff but couldn't resist... no need to be so self-righteous when back in the day as ONOY you made a thread called the "39 MCAT Club". :smuggrin::p

Last edited:
:smuggrin:
I'm digging up old stuff but couldn't resist... no need to be so self-righteous when back in the day as ONOY you made a thread called the "39 MCAT Club". :smuggrin::p

Hey now to be fair, it was the next logical progression when there was a 36+ MCAT club or whatever it was. I figured the 99ers should have a club. As you can see, I was wrong and such a club is not... well received. That was a long time ago. I had what I like to call "pre-med syndrome".

smiley_smug.gif
smiley_smug.gif
smiley_smug.gif

Nope. You're not even close. You can't even get into a community college with those grades and you're talking about med school? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you don't enter college with the intention to become a doctor, you might let your grades fail. Once that happens, it's all damage control and you will NOT be very happy. For the love of all that's holy, get A's. You may find that you need "adjustments" in study / sleeping / eating / sex habits, etc. Make those before they turn your A's into B's and C's.

College was nothing like high school for me. I didn't even have to study to breeze through high school. College was a bit of a shock.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if a significant number of high school geniuses do worse in the first semester or so of college than those with lower grades who weren't naturally smart and had to learn to study early.

There is absolutely no way to determine whether you can make it through med school from your high school GPA. But, if it makes you feel better, you are probably smart enough to start pre-med and actually survive long enough to know whether or not you can handle it.

I completely agree with what you say. There have always been those kids who are "naturally" smart and somehow get perfect scores on their tests, without studying in advance; I'm one of them. However, middle school does not prepare enough students adaquetely for high school, and high school does not prepare them for college.

When they start college, they realize they have to actually start studying. That is what I realized, too. You have to set a strict schedule for yourself. The number one rule is to read the textbook carefully. If you successfully do that, you will ace any subject; it will help you with homework, tests, etc.

As to the original poster, I agree with the others that it is just a sense of trying to make yourself feel better. If one does research on the internet about the requirements for certain colleges and medical schools, they will become familiar with the expectations of the school and the scores and GPA that one needs to meet. If this research is not done, it is not necessary to ask others. Although you may truly not be boasting about your achievements, others will perceive it as so. Furthermore, it shows that you do not possess the mental stamina to go to Google and search "medical school requirements."

Trying in High school is lame.

I had a 2.7gpa in high school and never took one AP class my life.

My gpa in college is 3.9+.

/flex

Anyone "is smart enough" to get into medical school.

It is mostly determination and commitment.

btw high school stats don't matter once you get into college

and college stats / mcat don't matter once you get into medical school

Also, last summer I took OChem II. I had my high school valedictorian in class with me. You wouldn't BELIEVE how annoying this girl was in highschool, about as neurotic as they come. Anyways, she ended up getting a B, I got the second high grade in the class and scored in the high 90th percentile on the ACS Ochem final.

tl;dr: Highschool doesn't mean ****.

Are you seriously bragging about OchemII :rolleyes:

However, middle school does not prepare enough students adaquetely for high school, and high school does not prepare them for college.

I don't know why, but you're like the tenth person that I've heard said this now. To me, this is categorically untrue. In college, I didn't have to do HOMEWORK. I hated homework in high school. High school was harder.

wow seems like you did well i only got a 1450 on the sat... I guess i need to buckle down aand study harder for college:D

Trying in High school is lame.

I had a 2.7gpa in high school and never took one AP class my life.

My gpa in college is 3.9+.

/flex

Anyone "is smart enough" to get into medical school.

It is mostly determination and commitment.

btw high school stats don't matter once you get into college

and college stats / mcat don't matter once you get into medical school

wow you really gav me a little hope. seeingthat other guys sat score made me feel kinda ...slow

btw my current gpa is a 3.8:D pretty neat lol

I don't know why, but you're like the tenth person that I've heard said this now. To me, this is categorically untrue. In college, I didn't have to do HOMEWORK. I hated homework in high school. High school was harder.

I am somewhat like you. I was speaking for the majority of individuals. Most people believe college is much harder. I completely empathize with you regarding the homework aspect. I hated homework. However, it also depends which classes you are taking in college. In college they are not checking up on you (which is what homework essentially is in high school). They assume you grasp the information, and not need day-by-day checkpoints.

Lmao, I can't make up my mind, but good point.

I had homework in college and found much of high school to be more difficult than my first year. The standards I was held to for paper writing in my junior and senior years of high school were much more stringent than anything I encountered in college. In short, I don't really agree with your assessment of the difficulty progression between the education levels.