I got a 2220 SAT, am I smart enough to get into med school?

D0NQUIXOTE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Go to college first.

This. Everyone is "smart enough" if you have the drive to get the grades and perform on the MCAT and do the volunteering and shadowing and everything else that comes with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a 1270 on the SAT and went to the state school. I am sure you are smart enough.

just because you got those great stats does not mean you will get into med school... a lot of times students just don't apply themselves in high school and dont unleash their potential... in college often times these students start working hard and before you know it are the top of the class....

i am an example of that student who got into multiple med schools... people thought that I would not succeed in college because of my performance in high school... and they were so wrong.... in my own chem class, there were many valedictorians, and I saw a lot of them either get weeded out or not do well at all... and there were average joe's in high school who were getting an A in the class

my point is, go to college and see how you do... but congrats on such great stats in high school.

though I will say that I did really really really well on the SAT (1470)... but my high school GPA was nowhere even close to match my performance on the SAT... like less than a 3.0 WEIGHTED... u can imagine people were really scratching their heads when they saw my application

Last edited:
...but can you take the heat?

Yeah, go to college first. Then see where you stand.

College was nothing like high school for me. I didn't even have to study to breeze through high school. College was a bit of a shock.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if a significant number of high school geniuses do worse in the first semester or so of college than those with lower grades who weren't naturally smart and had to learn to study early.

There is absolutely no way to determine whether you can make it through med school from your high school GPA. But, if it makes you feel better, you are probably smart enough to start pre-med and actually survive long enough to know whether or not you can handle it.

When I was your age...the highest you could get on the SAT was a 1600. Gee, don't I feel old!

I saw plenty of people above 2200 that dropped out of premed, and I go to a top 10 university.

I'm a high school senior with a 2220 SAT (670cr, 750m, 800w).

I have a 3.99 unweighted GPA.

Although I know college will broaden my interests, I can really only think of medicine right now, even after considering a lot of other careers.

I just have a lot of self-doubt right now. How much of being premed is "talent" compared with raw determination? I work hard for my grades, but I feel I'm sometimes a little slow in fully absorbing concepts.

I'm really bored right now, so don't say I shouldn't even be asking this question. Indulge me, please.

I think you should be looking at BS/MD programs....
your stats are pretty good amazing even... But again high school and college work isnt the same. I know people who got a 4.0 and 2100 sat who proved to not take college seriously or maybe in reality just couldn't take it.
I'd still apply to some BS/MD programs though.. 7 years and your in residency..

I saw plenty of people above 2200 that dropped out of premed, and I go to a top 10 university.

high sat =/= your going to be a amazing pre-med. Why? because the sat is equatable to a iq test, and only tests english comp and math skills under stressed time. Stressed time in real tests in college are very very rare, with the exception of maybe a super hard chem final >.>. Its really a bs test, i got a 1200 the first time, 1300 second time, 2050 the last. But everyone got above a 1800 the 3rd time is what i saw.

Members don't see this ad :)
when did SAT switch from 1600 max? What's the new max? I feel OLd N' PaThetIk

How much of being premed is "talent" compared with raw determination?

Talent is a component sure, and without it, you won't make it.

But once you're above a certain threshold, it's purely about desire and tenacity.

Tons of my friends in college came in as pre-med and were certainly talented enough to make it. They just weren't willing to jump through the necessary hoops.

How many hoops are you willing to jump through?

Maybe.
Maybe not.

There really is no other answer, OP. Now get into college and work your butt off. Maybe someday you'll have the opportunity to apply to medical school. Later, you may get the opportunity to take the USMLE step exams, apply for residency go onto a fellowship, get licensed and boarded. And, perhaps, someday you may even get to practice. Until then, focus on the present and work on getting into college.

Yeah, you might go to college and fall in love with a girl named mary jane and never look back.

I've seen it happen far too many times.

Last edited:

Last edited:
when did SAT switch from 1600 max? What's the new max? I feel OLd N' PaThetIk

The sat is now out of 2400, they added another english section( writing section) the writing section is however by many schools ignored.

I'm a high school senior with a 2220 SAT (670cr, 750m, 800w).

I have a 3.99 unweighted GPA.

Although I know college will broaden my interests, I can really only think of medicine right now, even after considering a lot of other careers.

I just have a lot of self-doubt right now. How much of being premed is "talent" compared with raw determination? I work hard for my grades, but I feel I'm sometimes a little slow in fully absorbing concepts.

I'm really bored right now, so don't say I shouldn't even be asking this question. Indulge me, please.

No. (As evidenced by your post.)

The sat is now out of 2400, they added another english section( writing section) the writing section is however by many schools ignored.

yea... hs class of 2006 was the first ones to take it... i took the old one, and got a 1470 when I was a sophomore.... did not want to take the new one, and you can imagine how many colleges were not happy with me (but at the same time they said that writing section was experimental since it was the first time it was being administered and that the 1600 scale would be used by just adding up M + V)... add in the fact that I got less than a 3.0 Weighted GPA lol :laugh:.... my counselor was really angry at me, especially when I got into a undergrad which he thought I had no chance at... this made him absolutely hate me.... but now I got into multiple med schools and just wanna tell him how wrong he was about him thinking I would do horrible in undergrad.. i cant imagine how angry he will be with me if I share this news with him :D

yea... hs class of 2006 was the first ones to take it... i took the old one, and got a 1470 when I was a sophomore.... did not want to take the new one, and you can imagine how many colleges were not happy with me (but at the same time they said that writing section was experimental since it was the first time it was being administered and that the 1600 scale would be used by just adding up M + V)... add in the fact that I got less than a 3.0 Weighted GPA lol :laugh:.... my counselor was really angry at me, especially when I got into a undergrad which he thought I had no chance at... this made him absolutely hate me.... but now I got into multiple med schools and just wanna tell him how wrong he was about him thinking I would do horrible in undergrad.. i cant imagine how angry he will be with me if I share this news with him :D

Neh counselors don't know ****.. I was also told that i'd probably get a C- average in college, i think right now im pushing a 3.7.. which is like a A lol.. kinda off :D

Neh counselors don't know ****.. I was also told that i'd probably get a C- average in college, i think right now im pushing a 3.7.. which is like a A lol.. kinda off :D

why is it that the same threads interest us both... we must think a like ;)

you know, despite our differences, I am always interested in knowing your opinions.... lol :D

No. (As evidenced by your post.)

I deserve that, but at least I know my naivety is bursting at the seams, hence the "I'm really bored right now" and the "Indulge me."

This really was a semi-meaningless thread, and I (hopefully) won't go to this site that often. I just wanted to feel a little better before going to college, as well as elicit some interesting insight from you experienced guys.

It's just nice to know that I just have to put in the work and not be too worried about how my IQ would compromise all that hard work come MCAT time or something like that. I won't burn out...

Thanks, guys.

just because you got those great stats does not mean you will get into med school... a lot of times students just don't apply themselves in high school and dont unleash their potential... in college often times these students start working hard and before you know it are the top of the class....

i am an example of that student who got into multiple med schools... people thought that I would not succeed in college because of my performance in high school... and they were so wrong.... in my own chem class, there were many valedictorians, and I saw a lot of them either get weeded out or not do well at all... and there were average joe's in high school who were getting an A in the class

my point is, go to college and see how you do... but congrats on such great stats in high school.

though I will say that I did really really really well on the SAT (1470)... but my high school GPA was nowhere even close to match my performance on the SAT... like less than a 3.0 WEIGHTED... u can imagine people were really scratching their heads when they saw my application

X10000

I barely got into college with how unmotivated and how bad my high school grades were. I went to a lesser state school for 2 years, transferring to our big state school and get the top 5% in pretty much ALL of my classes.

Also, last summer I took OChem II. I had my high school valedictorian in class with me. You wouldn't BELIEVE how annoying this girl was in highschool, about as neurotic as they come. Anyways, she ended up getting a B, I got the second high grade in the class and scored in the high 90th percentile on the ACS Ochem final.

tl;dr: Highschool doesn't mean ****.

why is it that the same threads interest us both... we must think a like ;)

you know, despite our differences, I am always interested in knowing your opinions.... lol :D

hahaha yes your opinions tend to be very interesting as well.

X10000

I barely got into college with how unmotivated and how bad my high school grades were. I went to a lesser state school for 2 years, transferring to our big state school and get the top 5% in pretty much ALL of my classes.

Also, last summer I took OChem II. I had my high school valedictorian in class with me. You wouldn't BELIEVE how annoying this girl was in highschool, about as neurotic as they come. Anyways, she ended up getting a B, I got the second high grade in the class and scored in the high 90th percentile on the ACS Ochem final.

tl;dr: Highschool doesn't mean ****.

This. And the OP is just bragging.

I was really lazy in high school, smart, but lazy. Now that I'm in college and I'm working toward a goal, I've been a bit less lazy, and my grades improved.
And btw, have a GPA of 3.99 unweighted GPA is like nearly impossible in HS Unless you take 24 classes an year and get only one B.

Remember when the SAT was out of 1600 ... ahhh the good ole' days. I walked to school, up hill, both ways ... you damn kids today! With your iphone-berries, and twitter-spaces, and 2400 point SATs ... you've got NO idea what I went through!!

Remember when the SAT was out of 1600 ... ahhh the good ole' days. I walked to school, up hill, both ways ... you damn kids today! With your iphone-berries, and twitter-spaces, and 2400 point SATs ... you've got NO idea what I went through!!

I remember when I couldn't take my beeper to school because they were afraid of students selling crack. Those were the days.

I was really lazy in high school, smart, but lazy. Now that I'm in college and I'm working toward a goal, I've been a bit less lazy, and my grades improved.
And btw, have a GPA of 3.99 unweighted GPA is like nearly impossible in HS Unless you take 24 classes an year and get only one B.

It's technically 3.992 because I got one A-...

And this isn't a bragging thread so much as it is a way for me to completely dispel the stereotype that only the truly genius premeds actually get into med school. I'm honestly not a tool in real life.

I went to a hick school, I all A's and one A-, which really sucked because they rounded it down to a 3.9 :laugh:

go the BS/MD route and don't look back. If I had the opportunity to do that and not go through all this application BS I would have done it in a heartbeat.

I've seen a lot of high achieving high schoolers burn out because they started way too early. Just seeing this thread makes me smell a burn out. Calm down, relax, don't come back to SDN for 2 years. I don't say that because I hate you, but because I care.

go the BS/MD route and don't look back. If I had the opportunity to do that and not go through all this application BS I would have done it in a heartbeat.

There are only a few GPPA programs out there and most of them require you to demonstrate premed-like ECs during high school itself. What's more is that they only accept about 30-40 students per program per year. While it is a shortcut, I do think you can get into a better med schools by going to undergrad than what most of these programs offer.

I am really confused (and slightly annoyed) by these threads. Every few weeks or so, a "smart" high school student such as OP, with a high GPA and SAT scores, comes to this forum and asks if they "are smart enough to get into med school?"