I am totally clueless on what to do :-)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
haha thanks. i'm glad someone understood what i was trying to say :p

i got ur back... who says RTs and RNs cant get along? :cool:

i like the new signature as well. :D

Members don't see this ad.

i got ur back... who says RTs and RNs cant get along? :cool:

i like the new signature as well. :D

Oh and, just for the record, my name is Lauren. I don't like Laura or Laurie (no offense to anyone!!)

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, but these programs are very rare. Very few count ER.
enough that an applicant with an a.s. in nursing and a bs in something else+ a few yrs er experience can find a slot. I have a buddy right now applying to these programs all over the country. his bs is anthropology. icu experience + bsn is definitely the safe bet though for an opening at any program.

enough that an applicant with an a.s. in nursing and a bs in something else+ a few yrs er experience can find a slot. I have a buddy right now applying to these programs all over the country. his bs is anthropology. icu experience + bsn is definitely the safe bet though for an opening at any program.

well yeah... all the programs typically require icu experience. i hate that they don't accept picu or nicu though because that is where i have spent all my time. at least the ones around me don't.

well yeah... all the programs typically require icu experience. i hate that they don't accept picu or nicu though because that is where i have spent all my time. at least the ones around me don't.

I might be misunderstanding what you're saying, but it's your experience as an RN that counts; your experience right now won't count for an NP program. It might look good on an application for a nursing program, but otherwise it's not nursing experience.

Okay, your friend is the exception not the norm.

Again, CRNA programs that count ER instead of ICU are rare and few.

I might be misunderstanding what you're saying, but it's your experience as an RN that counts; your experience right now won't count for an NP program. It might look good on an application for a nursing program, but otherwise it's not nursing experience.

no i meant that.. don't all CRNA programs require ICU experience as their critical care experience? all the ones i know of do not allow ER, PICU, or NICU. It stinks, because as a nurse those are my top 3 picks of areas to work in, but I can't :(

"don't all CRNA programs require ICU experience as their critical care experience? "

it would be safe to say most programs prefer bsn + icu experience but maybe 10% will accept bs in a non-nursing field + er experience. a good friend of mine is in this situation and applying now with lots of interviews.

no i meant that.. don't all CRNA programs require ICU experience as their critical care experience? all the ones i know of do not allow ER, PICU, or NICU. It stinks, because as a nurse those are my top 3 picks of areas to work in, but I can't :(

im sure there are some programs that accept PICU. i mean the "ICU" in PICU does stand for intensive care unit right? :rolleyes:
seriously though, im sure some posters over at allnurses could inform you which CRNA schools look favorably at PICU experience.

i dont like working with adults either, they smell... :laugh:

im sure there are some programs that accept PICU. i mean the "ICU" in PICU does stand for intensive care unit right? :rolleyes:
seriously though, im sure some posters over at allnurses could inform you which CRNA schools look favorably at PICU experience.

i dont like working with adults either, they smell... :laugh:

A minimum of one year of current critical care experience. Current experience is defined as one consecutive year of critical care nursing. The following does not constitute critical care experience for admission to The University of Akron: operating room, labor and delivery, step down telemetry units, neonatal intensive care, emergency room, pediatric intensive care, post anesthesia care units and cardiac catheterization labs.

but at case western, "
All applicants must have at least one year of recent experience in one of the following acute care settings: recovery room, emergency room, or medical, surgical, neonatal, or pediatric intensive care."

Amazing how different two schools are that are 40 minutes apart!! However, I would never be able to afford Case Western and Akron is much closer too.

I don't like adults because such a large portion of them played some cause in their illness. Most kids didn't make themselves sick. Therefore, I'd rather treat the kids than the adults. Plus, they have such a future ahead of them... I volunteer at a huge Children's Hospital and I absolutely love it!

Members don't see this ad :)
A minimum of one year of current critical care experience. Current experience is defined as one consecutive year of critical care nursing. The following does not constitute critical care experience for admission to The University of Akron: operating room, labor and delivery, step down telemetry units, neonatal intensive care, emergency room, pediatric intensive care, post anesthesia care units and cardiac catheterization labs.

but at case western, "
All applicants must have at least one year of recent experience in one of the following acute care settings: recovery room, emergency room, or medical, surgical, neonatal, or pediatric intensive care."

Amazing how different two schools are that are 40 minutes apart!! However, I would never be able to afford Case Western and Akron is much closer too.

I don't like adults because such a large portion of them played some cause in their illness. Most kids didn't make themselves sick. Therefore, I'd rather treat the kids than the adults. Plus, they have such a future ahead of them... I volunteer at a huge Children's Hospital and I absolutely love it!

the above is reason for me wanting to work with kids. my second reason is that which i posted earlier. :D

what is the tuition at Case Western?

the above is reason for me wanting to work with kids. my second reason is that which i posted earlier. :D

what is the tuition at Case Western?

$31,900 per year, tuition only.

Univ if Akron is approx $8,000 per year, tuition only.
(they charge by credit hour, which varies, so i just took the total hours / total semesters)

at case i have to also pay for housing. for akron, i can for free with my parents.

I don't like adults because such a large portion of them played some cause in their illness. Most kids didn't make themselves sick. Therefore, I'd rather treat the kids than the adults.
Are you sure you're going to be okay treating those kids whose parents make lousy choices on their behalf? Education of the parents goes a certain way, but you WILL see kids who have lousy nutrition and kids who have lousy role models.

Not to rain on your parade, but if adults drive you nuts with their questionable decisions, I'd have to imagine that dealing day-in, day-out with parents who make questionable decisions that affect their kids would be potentially even worse.

Are you sure you're going to be okay treating those kids whose parents make lousy choices on their behalf? Education of the parents goes a certain way, but you WILL see kids who have lousy nutrition and kids who have lousy role models.

Not to rain on your parade, but if adults drive you nuts with their questionable decisions, I'd have to imagine that dealing day-in, day-out with parents who make questionable decisions that affect their kids would be potentially even worse.

I would totally agree. Unfortunately you are not allowed to seperate the kids from the parents. In the pediatric world you have two patients the child and the parent. Unfortunately the child is sometimes the smarter of the two. The other issue is that if you do this long enough you will have a child die. This is much worse than when it happens in adults.

David Carpenter, PA-C

That would only encourage me more. Again, it isn't the kids fault they have lousy parents or lousy role models. It is the adults who are alcoholics and ruin their livers and expect to get a new one before someone who didn't chose to ruin their liver and other such examples.

I also realize I cannot always pick and chose who I treat. I would be more than happy to treat anyone I can, but someday I will get to pick and I would rather be treating the kids because they less commonly are directly responsible for their illness, therefore I have more motivation to treat them.

but at case western, "

Whoa. That is one whopping judgemental attitude there. Are you sure that the medical field is even right for you? If you go into school packing that attitude, you are going to be in for one long haul. If you think you're going to be able to hide it for a few years, forget that.

It's one thing to prefer to care for kids v adults; quite another to get into the blame game regarding how people became ill. You're going to deal with non-compliant kids if you go into peds. Are you going to judge them too?

Whoa. That is one whopping judgemental attitude there. Are you sure that the medical field is even right for you? If you go into school packing that attitude, you are going to be in for one long haul. If you think you're going to be able to hide it for a few years, forget that.

It's one thing to prefer to care for kids v adults; quite another to get into the blame game regarding how people became ill. You're going to deal with non-compliant kids if you go into peds. Are you going to judge them too?

*sigh* lets not jump to conclusions here. all i am saying is that when i get to pick, i am going to pick a pediatric specialty. yes, i realize kids can be a pain - i work in a children's hospital. however, a much large portion of adults played a role in their illness where most kids did not. therefore, when i can pick, i will pick kids over adults. when i can't pick? so what? i'm going to give each and every patient of mine equal and fair treatment, regardless of if i want to or not.

my uncle died of liver disease because someone else was just above the match list. the person above him? an alcoholic. that person got his liver. that person went back to drinking and destroyed his second liver, while my uncle died. yes, i understand that there are a lot of sick adults who just got bad luck too. my neighbor was a wonderful lady and died of breast cancer and i'm very glad there were doctors there to make the rest of her life as pleasant as possible.

all i am saying is that some day i will be able to pick and i will pick pediatrics over adults because i love kids and i hate to see someone so young with such a great future ahead of them be stuck in a hospital when they certainly didn't ask for that.

It isn't like I hate adults and I'd rather leave them for dead than treat them. Eeesh. I was just stating my reasons for picking a pediatric specialty over an adult one: I prefer to treat kids over adults.

What I'm saying is in order to reach your goal, you're going to have to deal with those sort of patients. You'll have to find a way to deal with that.

There are plenty of children with chronic diseases who are non-compliant with their treatment plans, behavior that lands them right back in the hospital. It's extremely frustrating to deal with these kids and the parents who enable them. And those parents will turn around and give you grief for being the "bad guy" for trying to set limits.

There are many reasons why people engage in what appear to be self-destructive behaviors. We may not like what they do, but we still have to try to take care of them.

It is never easy. I really don't have anything against adults and I will happily give them the very best treatment possible. However, from my time in a children's hospital and many years of babysitting, I prefer kids over adults so that will be my chosen specialty... for now :) Things could always change in the future.

I'd MUCH rather do be a family nurse practitioner or an adult nurse practitioner than not work in health care at all :)

So there are two schools that offer accelerated BSN programs in my hometown area. Both are within 30 minutes of me and they are within 15 minutes of one another. The programs are pretty much identical in terms of curriculum and they both start in Summer and are 3 semester long programs. Yet one school has a lot more prereqs than the other. Why would this be? I can't meet the prereqs for the other so I can't even apply even though I'd rather go there. I would have to take a year off (since they only start in summer).

School #1:
-1 course in general chemistry
-1 course in organic/biological chemistry
-1 course in microbiology
-1 course in anatomy
-1 course in physiology

School #2
-1 course in anatomy
-2 courses in physiology
-1 course in developmental psychology
-1 course in the science of nutrition
-1 course in ethics
-1 course in statistics

Just seems weird for two identical programs from two academically competiting schools to have such different prereqs. Booo :( Limits your options when you can only apply to 1 program!!

I've noticed this as well. I have several schools near me that would be good to apply to, but they all have different pre-reqs- there is even one school where some of the pre-reqs are classes you have to take specifically at that school- classes only they offer.
So its either, a) take a trillion classes or b) take only the classes for one school, thus limiting my chances to get in somewhere...or c) say FooKIT to the whole thing, and just go to med/vet/psych school. :) LOL.

So there are two schools that offer accelerated BSN programs in my hometown area. Both are within 30 minutes of me and they are within 15 minutes of one another. The programs are pretty much identical in terms of curriculum and they both start in Summer and are 3 semester long programs. Yet one school has a lot more prereqs than the other. Why would this be? I can't meet the prereqs for the other so I can't even apply even though I'd rather go there. I would have to take a year off (since they only start in summer).

School #1:
-1 course in anatomy
-1 course in physiology

School #2
-1 course in anatomy
-2 courses in physiology
-1 course in developmental psychology
-1 course in the science of nutrition
-1 course in ethics
-1 course in statistics

Just seems weird for two identical programs from two academically competiting schools to have such different prereqs. Booo :( Limits your options when you can only apply to 1 program!!

I've noticed this as well. I have several schools near me that would be good to apply to, but they all have different pre-reqs- there is even one school where some of the pre-reqs are classes you have to take specifically at that school- classes only they offer.
So its either, a) take a trillion classes or b) take only the classes for one school, thus limiting my chances to get in somewhere...or c) say FooKIT to the whole thing, and just go to med/vet/psych school. :) LOL.

I ruled out med/vet/dent/opt school a while back. Only took me 21 years to figure it out, but I am happy with my decision. There will always be a small part of me that will miss not being a doctor, but there are far more cons than pros in my situation and it makes it not worth it to me.

My plan is to apply to the direct entry nursing program at my current school to get my RN certification and MSN in 3 years as well as the one accelerated BSN program I will meet the prerequisite courses for. If I don't get accepted to either, I'll take a year off, take a few more courses, and get a job. Then, reapply!