I am a GP practice owner. Go for OS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

privatedds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me tell you my story.

Graduated 2012. Worked my ass off. Paid all my student loan. Have a practice and own a building. Saved up 3mil and I am making 900k/year working 4.5 days a week.

I am 37 and want to retire by 50 which I should be able to.

Ive always wanted to do OS but coming from a foreign country, my visa status and **** didnt really allow me to apply for any residency out of dental school. And ill be honest, I want to do OS for the income potential. I think once I graduate and work for corporate I can make 1.8M working 4.5 days? (Maybe more if I own a private practice?)

Is it worth selling my office and apply for OS?

By age 50, I should have 10M in todays money. If I quit now and sell my office, I would graduate residency 42 and work 8 years making 8.6M after tax which will put me in 11.6M zone.

Worth it? Sometimes I am up for challenge and sometimes I am scared of wasting my 30s in residency working like a dog. Am I too far in the game?

Members don't see this ad.

If doing it for the money, that’s a terrible use of four years of your life imo. If you’re not satisfied with the amount of money you’re currently making, you won’t be satisfied with double.

Find a different hobby, buy some real estate or fast food franchise or something, and enjoy sleeping and vacationing when you want the next four years.

Reactions: 6 users
That’s a lot of money for working only 4.5 days/wk. You seem to know what you are doing. I don’t think any of us here is qualify to offer you a career advice since most of us don’t make anywhere near what you make. You should be the one who gives advice to others so they can be rich like you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If doing it for the money, that’s a terrible use of four years of your life imo. If you’re not satisfied with the amount of money you’re currently making, you won’t be satisfied with double.

Find a different hobby, buy some real estate or fast food franchise or something, and enjoy sleeping and vacationing when you want the next four years.
Thought about fast food franchise but thats another headache haha.

That’s a lot of money for working only 4.5 days/wk. You seem to know what you are doing. I don’t think don’t any of us here is qualify to offer you a career advice since most of us don’t make anywhere near what you make. You should be the one who gives advice to others so they can be rich like you.
Would you do it? I thought ortho can make tons of money too.

Would you do it? I thought ortho can make tons of money too.
Me personally, No. Because I am lazy....4-6 years of schooling is way too long. It’s also too hard, skill-wise. I don’t have great manual dexterity. And I don’t think the OS admission committee would accept me because I don’t have the “hard work” mentality that they want from an OS applicant. I want an easy job that pays well. That’s why I specialized in ortho.

Reactions: 1 user

Graduated 2012. Worked my ass off. Paid all my student loan. Have a practice and own a building. Saved up 3mil and I am making 900k/year working 4.5 days a week.

Ive always wanted to do OS but coming from a foreign country, my visa status and **** didnt really allow me to apply for any residency out of dental school. And ill be honest, I want to do OS for the income potential. I think once I graduate and work for corporate I can make 1.8M working 4.5 days? (Maybe more if I own a private practice?)

By age 50, I should have 10M in todays money. If I quit now and sell my office, I would graduate residency 42 and work 8 years making 8.6M after tax which will put me in 11.6M zone.

Worth it? Sometimes I am up for challenge and sometimes I am scared of wasting my 30s in residency working like a dog. Am I too far in the game?

Why not just buy more real estate instead w that fat income you’re already bringing in?

Reactions: 2 users
Hey man, are you okay? Between this post and your other ones I'm actually kinda worried for ya... You're grossing 900K doing 4.5 days of general dentistry at 37. That's quite nice but you seem unhappy. Do you want to do OS because you want a challenge or more money or to get away from whatever situation you are in now that makes you unhappy? TBH this is reading midlife crisis.

OS residency is not easy (to get in or to endure) and also 6 years of opportunity costs... you don't think you can invest your current money now and come out ahead by the time you're 50?

Reactions: 9 users
Hey man, are you okay? Between this post and your other ones I'm actually kinda worried for ya... You're grossing 900K doing 4.5 days of general dentistry at 37. That's quite nice but you seem unhappy. Do you want to do OS because you want a challenge or more money or to get away from whatever situation you are in now that makes you unhappy? TBH this is reading midlife crisis.

OS residency is not easy (to get in or to endure) and also 6 years of opportunity costs... you don't think you can invest your current money now and come out ahead by the time you're 50?

I just want to make more money. Maybe make more offices? Is it worth it?

Applying for OS residency is a horrible idea if that's your only goal. You'll have to take time off to study for the CBSE, you'll probably have to do a non-cat after being out of school for so long. You're looking at 5-7 more years and you probably won't even make as much as you are currently are right out of residency, assuming you even get in in the first place. Why don't you just buy more practices/property or take CE if your goal is to make 2M a year. It'd be easier to do that as a GP than an OS in your situation.

Op is either trolling, lying, or financially illiterate.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Troll post, unless 900k is the office’s collections

Reactions: 3 users
OP I think you should consider moving into some sort of charitable works.

Perhaps doing dentistry for homeless or domestic violence victims, overseas missions etc would give you more of a purpose.

You're making as much as most neurosurgeons, my man...Don't even think about it.

Reactions: 4 users
Probably an administrator at a school like NYU or USC trying to make predents think they’ll have no problems paying back their student loans.

Big Hoss

Not lying not trolling. For the record, class of 2010s is probably the last guys making their degree worthwile in dentistry. Anyone going to private dental school now is either stupid or braindead or both.

if you’re not happy with with 900K (I assume you’re reporting take-home) then you won’t be happy with more money either…

if you’re not happy with with 900K (I assume you’re reporting take-home) then you won’t be happy with more money either…
totally agree.

there is not a significant lifestyle change between 900k and 1.8 mil where it would even be remotely worth going back to OS residency

totally agree.

there is not a significant lifestyle change between 900k and 1.8 mil where it would even be remotely worth going back to OS residency

I did some calculations. If I want to retire at 47 with 10mil its better to keep doing what i am doing. If more, better to go back.

Lol
What do you mean by financially illiterate?

If you can't make 900k work for some reason, and or you are "unhappy" with the amount of money you are taking home.... then I don't think making "more" will make you happy.

At a certain income level, there is diminishing returns to "happiness" that money will give you. A 50k salary to 100k salary is a huge difference in happiness, while a 200k to 250k income doesn't do much. You already "make" 900k and making just a bit more prob won't do much for your happiness. Plus happiness comes from the inside, not how much net worth you are.

So at the end of the day, this is the last post for me on this "troll" post, but if you can't be happy with the top .000001% of earners in all of america, then I dunno what will.

I did some calculations. If I want to retire at 47 with 10mil its better to keep doing what i am doing. If more, better to go back.
Did you factor in the nights crying to sleep after a 36 hour shift, the premature balding, and the nagging back pain that feels like a toddler is hanging on your shoulders?

Reactions: 1 users
Did you factor in the nights crying to sleep after a 36 hour shift, the premature balding, and the nagging back pain that feels like a toddler is hanging on your shoulders?
How hard is it to get in?

This definitely feels trolly at this point... if you go to OS residency you will definitely not be retiring by 47... you're 37, you'll be 39 when you matriculate (it is too late this cycle) that is IF you get in the first attempt (very difficult). After 6 years, you will be 45. The other thing is you are an established GP now after 10 years of practice, you will start from scratch as a new OS grad: skills, patient base, good will, etc.
Again... opportunity costs are very high here. There are a lot of other avenues for passive income.

Last edited:
This definitely feels trolly at this point... if you go to OS residency you will definitely not be retiring by 47... you're 37, you'll be 39 when you matriculate (it is too late this cycle) that is IF you get in the first attempt (very difficult). After 6 years, you will be 45. The other thing is you are an established GP now after 10 years of practice, you will start from scratch as a new OS grad: skills, patient base, good will, etc.
Again... opportunity costs is very high here. There are a lot of other avenues for passive income.

Isnt it 4 years? Who the hell wastes 2 years on a useless MD degree?

• Haha
If your thing is that you want to clear $1m doing OS and that’s your main interest, what’s stopping you from doing that right now? I know of plenty of GPs doing primarily exodontia and making a lot of money. There’s no point getting beaten up for 4 years just to fall back on exodontia. It’s twice as silly if you’re already making as much as you claim.

It’s not easy to get in. Many qualified applicants fail to match every year and end up in purgatory until the next cycle. You’ll have to study for and do well on the CBSE, which is not easy if you haven’t seen the material in the last decade. And you may have to do an intern year first, and so on and so forth.

If your interest was in full-scope surgery or at least something other than just income potential then I could understand doing whatever you need to do. It’s a free country, but that’s a ridiculous way to spend 4 years if you don’t care about actually doing surgery.

I read your other post. I promise you that office-based OS is just as mind-numbing as general dentistry after a while.

Do you want 27 year olds who never had a real job in their life to yell at you and tell you what to do? If that is appealing to you, then sure, apply to OMFS residency.

LOL okay... this is a troll then. Ya got me. Man some people have all the time in the world...
I mean it. When it comes to lucrative procedures, MD degree means nothing. And no matter how many years one spends, Os cant never be the "real doctor"

Os cant never be the "real doctor"
0E6749CF-6B95-4747-872E-224C28B3F5CB.jpeg

Big Hoss

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Sell everything and retire tomorrow. You have 3 million cash.

King Midas.

• Haha
Applying for OS residency is a horrible idea if that's your only goal. You'll have to take time off to study for the CBSE, you'll probably have to do a non-cat after being out of school for so long. You're looking at 5-7 more years and you probably won't even make as much as you are currently are right out of residency, assuming you even get in in the first place. Why don't you just buy more practices/property or take CE if your goal is to make 2M a year. It'd be easier to do that as a GP than an OS in your situation.

The OP is probably a dental student bored in a class that he/she doesn’t enjoy attending. No one who makes 900k/yr (with 3M saved) looks for advise in these circles.

Also, if anyone is 37 today and is considering OS. It takes 1-2 years to complete the process of getting in. He/she will be 39, add 4 years, that’s 43, add getting established for another 2-3 years, they’re now at the age of 45-46… they’re pretty much 50 by then physically with all the OS stress and sweat they’ve put into it. OS are the marathon runners of dentistry. If you get into it for the money, you will be unhappy, and the residency program will chew you so hard and it will spit you right out in the first few weeks to months of the program.

Reactions: 7 users
The OP is probably a dental student bored in a class that he/she doesn’t enjoy attending. No one who makes 900k/yr (with 3M saved) looks for advise in these circles.

Also, if anyone is 37 today and is considering OS. It takes 1-2 years to complete the process of getting in. He/she will be 39, add 4 years, that’s 43, add getting established for another 2-3 years, they’re now at the age of 45-46… they’re pretty much 50 by then physically with all the OS stress and sweat they’ve put into it. OS are the marathon runners of dentistry. If you get into it for the money, you will be unhappy, and the residency program will chew you so hard and it will spit you right out in the first few weeks to months of the program.
If they could even get in. If a 45-year-old interviewed with us, a lot of eyebrows would be raised, and we would be very suspicious.

If they could even get in. If a 45-year-old interviewed with us, a lot of eyebrows would be raised, and we would be very suspicious.
Isn’t ageism illegal in the US?

I mean it. When it comes to lucrative procedures, MD degree means nothing. And no matter how many years one spends, Os cant never be the "real doctor"
Anyone who uses the phrase “real doctor” like this automatically shows their hand as someone under the age of 25, extremely naive as well as insecure beyond measure.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone who uses the phrase “real doctor” like this automatically shows their hand as someone under the age of 25, extremely naive as well as insecure beyond measure.
When I was in residency and the “real doctors” in the ED paged me about some patient, it was always great to hear the young residents try to describe the situation. They have no clue what’s going on, but are sure glad that I did. It’s all about knowing your role and taking care of patients.

Big Hoss

you're just bored IMO.. Not worth it... You're killin' it now..

It’s very demanding. I’m not sure if some of you have friends who went to OS residency, but I have 2 friends who did OS from my class. I ran into them at a wedding of another classmate in Toronto last spring. We’re all about the same age.., but both OS guys aged faster than anyone else, specially in their 40’s, specially the one who did the 6 year path. I dont know what exactly they endured from day to day, but it involved far less sleep for anyone’s liking, and it was probably bad enough to cause significant aging. I slept 8 hours in my 30s, still do in my early 40s… most can’t put a price to that. Still, I respect OS residents and the specialty in general. But the training comes at a cost, even though they don’t want to admit it.

Money would be the absolute wrong decision to pursue omfs.

Now, if one were to say that their motivation was because chicks dig omfs… that would be a different matter.

• Haha
It’s very demanding. I’m not sure if some of you have friends who went to OS residency, but I have 2 friends who did OS from my class. I ran into them at a wedding of another classmate in Toronto last spring. We’re all about the same age.., but both OS guys aged faster than anyone else, specially in their 40’s, specially the one who did the 6 year path. I dont know what exactly they endured from day to day, but it involved far less sleep for anyone’s liking, and it was probably bad enough to cause significant aging. I slept 8 hours in my 30s, still do in my early 40s… most can’t put a price to that. Still, I respect OS residents and the specialty in general. But the training comes at a cost, even though they don’t want to admit it.

True dat, I went from looking like a high school kid to a grandpa in 6 years.

I have to sleep 12 hours a day for the next 10 years to make up for it.