Program-Specific Info / Q's I am a current American student at Brunel University London. Ask your questions here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

therapist2be

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I used to come on here all of the time when I was applying to programs but since becoming an OT student I haven't been able to get on regularly. I have been getting questions on this platforms and others about my experience at Brunel. As a forewarning I have to say that overall I would not recommend this program as my cohort has had several issues with it and we are currently waiting to hear back from the VP of the student union about the results of his meeting with our lecturers due to concerns we raised. He also noticed that our program had the lowest student satisfaction rates of the clinical sciences programs. Our complaints are many, but the main one is that we have not learned much and we were left with out guidance about what we should be learning. I got accepted to other programs in the U.S. and from an academic perspective I wish I would've gone to one of those, but I can't completely regret it because living in London has allowed me to enjoy some amazing travel experiences. Additionally, the tuition is half of what I would've paid in the states.

If you are considering attending Brunel, please ask your questions here. If you do decide to come, at least you can know what you're getting into. Hopefully the program will be making chances that will benefit upcoming cohorts. We are trying to make the experience better for future students.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I used to come on here all of the time when I was applying to programs but since becoming an OT student I haven't been able to get on regularly. I have been getting questions on this platforms and others about my experience at Brunel. As a forewarning I have to say that overall I would not recommend this program as my cohort has had several issues with it and we are currently waiting to hear back from the VP of the student union about the results of his meeting with our lecturers due to concerns we raised. He also noticed that our program had the lowest student satisfaction rates of the clinical sciences programs. Our complaints are many, but the main one is that we have not learned much and we were left with out guidance about what we should be learning. I got accepted to other programs in the U.S. and from an academic perspective I wish I would've gone to one of those, but I can't completely regret it because living in London has allowed me to enjoy some amazing travel experiences. Additionally, the tuition is half of what I would've paid in the states.

If you are considering attending Brunel, please ask your questions here. If you do decide to come, at least you can know what you're getting into. Hopefully the program will be making chances that will benefit upcoming cohorts. We are trying to make the experience better for future students.

Hey! I’m so happy you posted this. I’ve been interested in Brunel for awhile now. Here are some questions.
1.How does the application process go and when is the deadline to apply? I looked online but was a bit confused on how to complete the application.
2. How many letters of recommendation the program requires?
3. How was the interview process and when did you hear back about your acceptance
4. How long is the program? Is there fieldwork based in the US?
5. What are some other concerns about the program from students ? ( only if you are able to name them).

I definitely have the same reasons to want to atten Brunel, inexpensive tuition and the ability to travel sounds wonderful to em!Thank you so much!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey! I’m so happy you posted this. I’ve been interested in Brunel for awhile now. Here are some questions.
1.How does the application process go and when is the deadline to apply? I looked online but was a bit confused on how to complete the application.
2. How many letters of recommendation the program requires?
3. How was the interview process and when did you hear back about your acceptance
4. How long is the program? Is there fieldwork based in the US?
5. What are some other concerns about the program from students ? ( only if you are able to name them).

I definitely have the same reasons to want to atten Brunel, inexpensive tuition and the ability to travel sounds wonderful to em!Thank you so much!

Hi no problem! This is going to be longwinded so brace yourself lol

1. I personally decided to apply using a free service called Study Across the Pond (ATP). They specialize in helping American applicants apply to various undergraduate and graduate programs in the UK and they work with a large number of universities. It's free for the student to use because they receive commission from the universities. First I had to go on their website and express interest and an advisor was assigned to me. I then filled out an application on their website and uploaded all of my documents to them. They then created an account for me through the OT program and filled out the application for me based on the information I provided to them. Then they sent me the log in details and it was my responsibility to check that everything was correct and to press the submit button. So the process for me was very easy. I applied to program through OTCAS (which I didn't find too bad) but the process is definitely more straightforward with UK programs even if you apply yourself. I also went through ATP because they offer guidance on the visa application process (which was a MAJOR pain for me and my other American classmates) so they were very helpful in that regard. I was giving guidance that they gave me to my American classmates and definitely felt more knowledgeable about it because of them. I highly recommend them. But I don't think it would be too difficult to apply direct either.

2. Gosh I have forgotten the details at this point but I want to say 2? Requirements change all the times so definitely check the website.

3. I had a skype interview on Dec 11, 2017. I got my acceptance on Feb 14, 2018. The skype interview was pretty easy you just need to know what OT is and why you want to be one. At the end I had to watch a video that she emailed to me and respond with my thoughts on what an occupational therapist can learn from the video. The video I had to watch was: .
I was pleased because I had watched this video several times before so it didn't take much thought for me. Other classmates got different videos and I'm sure they choose new videos each year or maybe even new activities, but it isn't hard though. I got half an hour to watch the video and respond.

4. The program is exactly 2 years. Overseas students have the option of completing their last placement back home. It must be in an area where you have support either from family or close family friends. You're far away from the program so they want to make sure that you won't be homeless or anything while away and that you will have support in case anything happens. So you can't be from Billings, Montana and do the placement in Los Angeles, California unless you can prove you have a support network there. The only issue is that the two student who went home for placement in the class ahead of me reported that that due to the contract the school has with the department of education, FAFSA student did not have a disbursement while they were back home doing placement. So they were left without money (or have to pay it back, I don't know the details). They were notified about this only days before they were due to leave home for their placement. We have been informed by staff that this was not an issue in previous years and they are currently working on this issue at the moment and I am eagerly awaiting the results of it. Another issue is that one student said that they missed out on first choice placements because Brunel wrote contracts that were not up to "standard" and had spelling errors. Some contracts had to be resent up to three times. The student is requires to find a clinician who will accept them and give the details to Brunel to contact them and the write a contract. So at the moment I want to go home for my last placement but I don't know if I want to risk dealing with contract issues.

5. So the two concerns already mentioned are: We did not learn much. I compare what I have learned to current US based students and they are learning so much more. They also have labs and we had maybe two 1 day labs. They touch on certain topics but just barely and some things we just haven't learned at all. For example, we haven't learned anything at all about developmental milestones and I'm in my second year. That's basic stuff. They give us a lot of independent study time but they don't tell us what to study. They just say to read research articles. But we came here to learn how to be OT's and we don't know what we don't know so how should we know what to study? No books are assigned but they have many OT books in the library or available on the library website in e-book format. But they don't assign readings so it's up to us to learn everything ourselves. I have bought NBCOT study books because that tells me what I need to know so I have been using those to teach myself. I've already been getting messages from students who just started about guidance because they already feel lost and what I'm doing to prepare myself is the advice I have given them. In addition to the issues concerning the last placement, for out second placement that started at the end on May most of us didn't get our assignment until two weeks in advance. Some people didn't know where they were going until days before and some even had to relocate in that short notice because the placement was two hours away (they say that we can get placement up to two hours away from where we live). This caused so much distress for all of us and some people had to start late and finish late which meant they got less time off for summer which to me is just unacceptable and it didn't even happen to me. Those are basically the main issues and the majority of us regret coming here which is why we have been raising this issue and filing complaints.

So like I said overall I would not recommend but if anyone wants to still come you should at least know what you are getting into. I did my research beforehand and they had stellar reviews. From what I can tell they were better at some point but since we've been here they have lost over 5 staff members so I think this has heavily impacted our experience. They just hired and have been hiring more staff recently and I think are trying to make some chances. So it might be better for future cohorts but I don't know.

I'm happy I get to travel though and come home with less loans so thats a plus!

Sorry this is so long but I am willing to answer any other questions anyone has. I just want people to make an informed decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I also ask if students in your cohort are allowed to work outside of school? Thank you again for answering my questions.

Hi no problem! This is going to be longwinded so brace yourself lol

1. I personally decided to apply using a free service called Study Across the Pond (ATP). They specialize in helping American applicants apply to various undergraduate and graduate programs in the UK and they work with a large number of universities. It's free for the student to use because they receive commission from the universities. First I had to go on their website and express interest and an advisor was assigned to me. I then filled out an application on their website and uploaded all of my documents to them. They then created an account for me through the OT program and filled out the application for me based on the information I provided to them. Then they sent me the log in details and it was my responsibility to check that everything was correct and to press the submit button. So the process for me was very easy. I applied to program through OTCAS (which I didn't find too bad) but the process is definitely more straightforward with UK programs even if you apply yourself. I also went through ATP because they offer guidance on the visa application process (which was a MAJOR pain for me and my other American classmates) so they were very helpful in that regard. I was giving guidance that they gave me to my American classmates and definitely felt more knowledgeable about it because of them. I highly recommend them. But I don't think it would be too difficult to apply direct either.

2. Gosh I have forgotten the details at this point but I want to say 2? Requirements change all the times so definitely check the website.

3. I had a skype interview on Dec 11, 2017. I got my acceptance on Feb 14, 2018. The skype interview was pretty easy you just need to know what OT is and why you want to be one. At the end I had to watch a video that she emailed to me and respond with my thoughts on what an occupational therapist can learn from the video. The video I had to watch was: .
I was pleased because I had watched this video several times before so it didn't take much thought for me. Other classmates got different videos and I'm sure they choose new videos each year or maybe even new activities, but it isn't hard though. I got half an hour to watch the video and respond.

4. The program is exactly 2 years. Overseas students have the option of completing their last placement back home. It must be in an area where you have support either from family or close family friends. You're far away from the program so they want to make sure that you won't be homeless or anything while away and that you will have support in case anything happens. So you can't be from Billings, Montana and do the placement in Los Angeles, California unless you can prove you have a support network there. The only issue is that the two student who went home for placement in the class ahead of me reported that that due to the contract the school has with the department of education, FAFSA student did not have a disbursement while they were back home doing placement. So they were left without money (or have to pay it back, I don't know the details). They were notified about this only days before they were due to leave home for their placement. We have been informed by staff that this was not an issue in previous years and they are currently working on this issue at the moment and I am eagerly awaiting the results of it. Another issue is that one student said that they missed out on first choice placements because Brunel wrote contracts that were not up to "standard" and had spelling errors. Some contracts had to be resent up to three times. The student is requires to find a clinician who will accept them and give the details to Brunel to contact them and the write a contract. So at the moment I want to go home for my last placement but I don't know if I want to risk dealing with contract issues.

5. So the two concerns already mentioned are: We did not learn much. I compare what I have learned to current US based students and they are learning so much more. They also have labs and we had maybe two 1 day labs. They touch on certain topics but just barely and some things we just haven't learned at all. For example, we haven't learned anything at all about developmental milestones and I'm in my second year. That's basic stuff. They give us a lot of independent study time but they don't tell us what to study. They just say to read research articles. But we came here to learn how to be OT's and we don't know what we don't know so how should we know what to study? No books are assigned but they have many OT books in the library or available on the library website in e-book format. But they don't assign readings so it's up to us to learn everything ourselves. I have bought NBCOT study books because that tells me what I need to know so I have been using those to teach myself. I've already been getting messages from students who just started about guidance because they already feel lost and what I'm doing to prepare myself is the advice I have given them. In addition to the issues concerning the last placement, for out second placement that started at the end on May most of us didn't get our assignment until two weeks in advance. Some people didn't know where they were going until days before and some even had to relocate in that short notice because the placement was two hours away (they say that we can get placement up to two hours away from where we live). This caused so much distress for all of us and some people had to start late and finish late which meant they got less time off for summer which to me is just unacceptable and it didn't even happen to me. Those are basically the main issues and the majority of us regret coming here which is why we have been raising this issue and filing complaints.

So like I said overall I would not recommend but if anyone wants to still come you should at least know what you are getting into. I did my research beforehand and they had stellar reviews. From what I can tell they were better at some point but since we've been here they have lost over 5 staff members so I think this has heavily impacted our experience. They just hired and have been hiring more staff recently and I think are trying to make some chances. So it might be better for future cohorts but I don't know.

I'm happy I get to travel though and come home with less loans so thats a plus!

Sorry this is so long but I am willing to answer any other questions anyone has. I just want people to make an informed decision.

Wow! I am so happy that I did not choose to apply to Brunel. I did study abroad in London (Kingston University) and went to the area to see the school for myself. I have a 13 year old daughter and just couldn’t imagine us living there while I was trying to attend school. Something just seemed off to me.. maybe I had intuition deep down. I chose a program in Virginia and I’m shocked to hear you haven’t covered milestones. That’s was second semester for us.

I am appalled that any university in England would be so substandard when it comes to education. Kingston was the polar opposite. So sorry to hear about this.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow! I am so happy that I did not choose to apply to Brunel. I did study abroad in London (Kingston University) and went to the area to see the school for myself. I have a 13 year old daughter and just couldn’t imagine us living there while I was trying to attend school. Something just seemed off to me.. maybe I had intuition deep down. I chose a program in Virginia and I’m shocked to hear you haven’t covered milestones. That’s was second semester for us.

I am appalled that any university in England would be so substandard when it comes to education. Kingston was the polar opposite. So sorry to hear about this.

I’m super late with this reply as usual . Things have been busy. But yes you are so lucky that you chose to not apply. My cohort is still in the process of raising the complaint. More meetings have happened and an emergency meeting will be happening next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But with all being said and done, I feel like I’m going to have to do double the work before I graduate to teach myself all the things they failed to teach just so that I can HOPEFULLY be at the level I should be on when I graduate.

Can I also ask if students in your cohort are allowed to work outside of school? Thank you again for answering my questions.

The program itself doesn’t have any work restrictions. But if you’re on a student visa there are restrictions for that and you cannot work any more than 20 hours a week.

Hi there,
I was wondering what the program costs were for Brunel? I have an interview with them this thursday

Hi there,
I was wondering what the program costs were for Brunel? I have an interview with them this thursday
The tuition is listed on the program website as well as the on campus housing. If you want to live off campus then the price will vary depending on many factors. Please also be aware that each year you have to pay a £1,000 placement fee.

Hey therapist2be! I've got an interview with Brunel Physiotherapy on Monday, could you share what kind of interview questions you remember, if any? My last interview caught me off guard as I was asked my plans for my dissertation etc.

Also, I see all the issues you outlined in your original post, do you reckon the physiotherapy program would suffer from the same issues, and should be approached with caution as well?

Hey therapist2be! I've got an interview with Brunel Physiotherapy on Monday, could you share what kind of interview questions you remember, if any? My last interview caught me off guard as I was asked my plans for my dissertation etc.

Also, I see all the issues you outlined in your original post, do you reckon the physiotherapy program would suffer from the same issues, and should be approached with caution as well?

It's been a while but they asked me really easy questions about what OT is and to tell them about myself. Then they made me watch a video and send my response about how it relates to patient care in OT. They didn't ask anything about dissertation.

I don't think you should have a problem with the physio program. The physio program is rated the highest among feedback from students and the OT program was the lowest in the clinical sciences. One of my roommates is in the physio program and she loves it.

Is the price listed for the entire program or for each year! Do you feel that things have gotten better going forward?

Hi!
I was recently admitted to Brunel’s OT program and would love to hear any recent feedback you have about the program and what changes have been made since your original post. I am very interested in the program but have become wary since reading this.

Hi!
I was recently admitted to Brunel’s OT program and would love to hear any recent feedback you have about the program and what changes have been made since your original post. I am very interested in the program but have become wary since reading this.
Hello, I have also been admitted recently and feel the same way! Commenting to hopefully get feedback. I am also concerned about some aspects mentioned. Nice to meet you, maybe we'll be going through this together lol

Hi!
Hey I've been admitted into Brunel's OT program as well. Id love to get your name and contact info so we can chat! Let me know how I can reach you, maybe via Facebook?

Hi!
Hi! Honestly all of my thoughts and feelings are the same. I am honestly so relieved to be done with this program. For instance, my class graduated in Dec 2020 and they promised to give us all access to Trulearn to study for the NBCOT and around the time we were graduating I emailed several of them several times and they completely ignored it. They only recently (last week, 4 months later) decided to email us that we can now get signed up for Trulearn when the majority of us have already taken the exam. Totally and utterly ridiculous. I'm sad to say that they never really changed.

I (and several of my classmates have also expressed) that we would highly advise another program unless you had no other choice. Good luck on your road to OT!

Last edited:
Hello, I have also been admitted recently and feel the same way! Commenting to hopefully get feedback. I am also concerned about some aspects mentioned. Nice to meet you, maybe we'll be going through this together lol
Please see reply above.

Hi!
Hey Molly! I have also been admitted to Brunel's OT program and would love to connect. A few of us have made a facebook group if youre interested in joining!

Hi! My name is Christiana Cottles, I plan on applying for the September 2022 program. I would love to be a part of this!
Hey Molly! I have also been admitted to Brunel's OT program and would love to connect. A few of us have made a facebook group if youre interested in joining!

I live in California and wondering if the program is good to transfer back to the U.S.