Human Performance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJHUSKERS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Is it possible to combine physical therapy and human performance into a career, similar to Bill Hartman (if you don't know him, look him up)? Or is it possible to have job in both fields? For example: working as a physical therapist in a acute hospital setting and helping with a high school exercise/strength and conditioning program preparing for their season.

Or is the PT job to time consuming to have another job?

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, a lot of outpatient ortho/sports medicine practices combine the two. The practice I work at actually uses the slogan "human performance experts" as many of our PTs have other certifications in strength and conditioning and other sports specific certifications. We work closely with a lot of the local schools, clubs, teams, and do a lot of screening, video analysis, etc all to help each athlete either become more efficient with their bodies to prevent injuries or to improve their game.

Bill Hartman is a PT if I understand correctly.

Yea, I have seen some ortho/human performance clinics...but it's really just mainly PT with a little S&C thrown in there. Mainly the focus is to make the athlete bullet proof for the next season, but that is just what I have experienced and maybe that's changing. I still yet to see a "PT clinic" with a squat rack or a dumbbell over 15 lbs. I guess I hope to accomplish bringing S&C and PT closer together. I love both sides.

Bill Hartman is a PT and he co-owns a company that does PT and strength and conditioning for athletes or anyone for that matter. He is by far the smartest therapist I have talked to, incredible knowledge.

http://indianapolisfitnessandsportstraining.com/
http://billhartman.net

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ya, I hear you. Ours is a little different as we have 2 practices within a sports complex and a sports training facility.

Check out Bluestreak in Chelsea Piers. That's where I work and I love it!

By the way MinnDasota, I live in Minnesota and go to school in WI. Your facilities look great, seems to be a little bit of everything.

Is it possible to work part-time at a physical therapist; meaning half days so that you can work with a high school team after school in the afternoon? Can you get PT gig with the summer off? I'm guessing these situations are only possible if you own your own clinic and you are "breaking the bank."

From what I know, unless you own your own practice, there is probably no way to get summer times off (that's reserved for teachers and one of their perks:). You can probably find a job (although not many out there) that can work around a schedule with working with teams. Most likely you would have to work a split shift or you would have to work early AM and then work your second job. That said, you can make more money doing this, however, you will be killing yourself. I think there may be a few ATCs/PTs who do this. What you really have to think about are benefits as when you work part time, you won't have benefits. Very important when negotiating your salary.

I was originally from the whole upper midwest area...hence my name;) Different world from where I am now!