Howard College of Pharmacy (Class of 2020)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, I'm looking to apply ED for this year's cycle and I see that it says your application has to be especially solid. My gpa and pcat are on the lower end but I have a lot of experience and extracurriculars. Howard is my number one choice though, which is why I want to apply ED, but I'm wondering if Howard would consider my app ED considering they want strong applicants for ED. Do you think I should apply ED to show my interest anyways? Or maybe contact Marlon Prince asking him for advice?
I'd say apply anyways for ED. If they don't accept you for an interview in the first round then they can offer you one later on. It's not up to Mr. Prince to decide whether you get considered or not, he works mainly to process applications and what not.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say apply anyways for ED. If they don't accept you for an interview in the first round then they can offer you one later on. It's not up to Mr. Prince to decide whether you get considered or not, he works mainly to process applications and what not.
Thanks for the response. I've already decided on applying ED to Howard, but I also want to know what I can work on to improve upon my application, such as retaking the PCAT to get a better score, or request an extra LOR. Is there someone I can talk to, such as an admissions counselor, about that or will they communicate that to me if necessary after they review my application? I'm just trying to better gauge my chances of getting an interview that's all

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I've already decided on applying ED to Howard, but I also want to know what I can work on to improve upon my application, such as retaking the PCAT to get a better score, or request an extra LOR. Is there someone I can talk to, such as an admissions counselor, about that or will they communicate that to me if necessary after they review my application? I'm just trying to better gauge my chances of getting an interview that's all
To approve your application it's the usual suspects; retake your pcat, retake classes you had C's in. The admissions office will likely tell you exactly the same thing I will. Another LOR will pretty much do nothing unless you feel the previous ones you had are not as good. I suppose you could follow up with our offices after your application has been sent in; probably wait a month or so since we get so many.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to submit my application to pharmcas soon. However I wanted to know does Howard look at individual subject scores or just composite for pcat. I took the new PCAT and I got a 94 in Biological Processes and 84 in Chemistry Processes. However..... my Quantitative Reasoning and Critical Reading scores were so low its almost embarrassing to even say those scores on here. So I have been trying to make up for my composite score by raising my gpa above the minimum. I have worked retail from fall 2013-summer 2016 and have now been working corporate for a pharmaceutical company for about 4 months now. I am dreading to retake that PCAT again. Please some advice will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I am going to submit my application to pharmcas soon. However I wanted to know does Howard look at individual subject scores or just composite for pcat. I took the new PCAT and I got a 94 in Biological Processes and 84 in Chemistry Processes. However..... my Quantitative Reasoning and Critical Reading scores were so low its almost embarrassing to even say those scores on here. So I have been trying to make up for my composite score by raising my gpa above the minimum. I have worked retail from fall 2013-summer 2016 and have now been working corporate for a pharmaceutical company for about 4 months now. I am dreading to retake that PCAT again. Please some advice will be much appreciated.

They absolutely look at the composite score! If I were you I would not retake the PCAT with those subscores. Working at a pharmaceutical company really stands out as well. I can tell you at Howard they are really pushing our Pharm.D. Students to go that route so you would be an ideal candidate for us! Good luck and feel free to ask anything else!

Has anybody who interviewed thispast saturday gotten the acceptance email yet? Admissions committee met on Tuesday.

Congrats to all the newly admitted students! Should you have any questions, please feel free to ask away! :)

Congrats to all the newly admitted students! Should you have any questions, please feel free to ask away! :)
Is there a Facebook group or something for accepted students? I'd really like to figure out housingand stuff!

Is there a Facebook group or something for accepted students? I'd really like to figure out housingand stuff!
The admissions staff will send you a facebook invite after you pay your deposit! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I was wondering, did anyone that was interviewed last 12/03 heard back from HU?

The admissions staff will send you a facebook invite after you pay your deposit! :)

hello! how long does it normally take back to hear after an interview? also, what are the chances of getting admitted if you are invited to an interview invite? tanks!

hello! how long does it normally take back to hear after an interview? also, what are the chances of getting admitted if you are invited to an interview invite? tanks!

My interview group from last Saturday, 2/11, already heard back. Usually it's 10-14 days after your interview date. We don't have any statistics on that but I'd say that if you have an interview your chances are pretty good of getting in anywhere.

My interview group from last Saturday, 2/11, already heard back. Usually it's 10-14 days after your interview date. We don't have any statistics on that but I'd say that if you have an interview your chances are pretty good of getting in anywhere.

thank u! and how do you prepare for am MMI interview? it is my first one, so i'm a bit nervous.

thank u! and how do you prepare for am MMI interview? it is my first one, so i'm a bit nervous.
Sorry for the late reply. There really is no way to prepare for that style to be very honest. Just smile, be yourself and show us why you are a match for our program. Very generic answer but it will go a long way to getting accepted! Best of luck if you haven't had your interview yet!

Hey, I am applying this year for the 2018 Fall. I just have a few questions
1) Does howard only look at the prerequisites. I have 3 Cs in my prereqs. Would they average my GPA out if i retake a course i failed?
2) I recieved a 65 on the PCAT is that good enough for HUCOP
3) I have a 2.7GPA will that be good enough as well?
4) I am also a certified pharmacy technichian for 2 years now can that help my application.
5) My father had cancer the year my grades dropped so this is my last semesters i can pull my grades up.
6) Will applying ED help me get in

As you can see i am very desprate to get even an interview fro howard. I really want to attend. Its a family legacy. Help me improve my chances. I graduate in december so im hoping that i get accepted by September which is around my birthday.

Hey, I am applying this year for the 2018 Fall. I just have a few questions
1) Does howard only look at the prerequisites. I have 3 Cs in my prereqs. Would they average my GPA out if i retake a course i failed?
2) I recieved a 65 on the PCAT is that good enough for HUCOP
3) I have a 2.7GPA will that be good enough as well?
4) I am also a certified pharmacy technichian for 2 years now can that help my application.
5) My father had cancer the year my grades dropped so this is my last semesters i can pull my grades up.
6) Will applying ED help me get in

As you can see i am very desprate to get even an interview fro howard. I really want to attend. Its a family legacy. Help me improve my chances. I graduate in december so im hoping that i get accepted by September which is around my birthday.

Hey, I don't attend this school but I did apply and am familiar with the process and requirements.

1) Howard only looks at your prerequisites. Nothing more. They take your highest grades. So let's say you got a D in microbiology and retook it and got an A. They'll take the A and disregard the D completely. No averaging.

2) Anything over 50 composite is considered competitive. However, there are students that score well over that score. Something to keep in mind.

3) 2.7 prerequisite GPA? If so, that's above the requirement but below the average of the applicants. I believe that's a 3.3.

4) Yes, any pharmacy experience is a huge plus and separates you from other applicants. But grades matter too. Someone with no experience and a 4.0 trumps someone with lots of experience and a 2.5.

5) Sorry to hear that. Make sure to mention that in your personal statement and special circumstances.

6) Howard has a rolling admission so the earlier you apply, the greater your chances.

Good luck! Based on your stats you've got a good shot. Bust out a couple of A's in your prerequisites to boost your GPA and you should be good to go.

Hey, I don't attend this school but I did apply and am familiar with the process and requirements.

1) Howard only looks at your prerequisites. Nothing more. They take your highest grades. So let's say you got a D in microbiology and retook it and got an A. They'll take the A and disregard the D completely. No averaging.

2) Anything over 50 composite is considered competitive. However, there are students that score well over that score. Something to keep in mind.

3) 2.7 prerequisite GPA? If so, that's above the requirement but below the average of the applicants. I believe that's a 3.3.

4) Yes, any pharmacy experience is a huge plus and separates you from other applicants. But grades matter too. Someone with no experience and a 4.0 trumps someone with lots of experience and a 2.5.

5) Sorry to hear that. Make sure to mention that in your personal statement and special circumstances.

6) Howard has a rolling admission so the earlier you apply, the greater your chances.

Good luck! Based on your stats you've got a good shot. Bust out a couple of A's in your prerequisites to boost your GPA and you should be good to go.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate this. If I may ask, what other schools can I apply to with these stats

Does anyone know if the interview is open or closed file and how many people its with?

To anyone thinking about applying to Howard's COP, feel free to shoot me a question. I'm a current student and although I won't answer anything regarding what you might expect on an interview, I can definitely answer questions about the university and anything else.

Hi, good to see your progress, I will really appreciate if you can give me some answers of my que. below. I am actually student from state of FL, foreign graduate pharmacist, can I apply for non-traditional Pharm.D ? they accepting foreign pharmacist for NTPD? if so then that pharm D can be finished in 2 years and I can get Pharm .D degree after that? can I sit for NAPLEX after finishing NTPD?

Hi, good to see your progress, I will really appreciate if you can give me some answers of my que. below. I am actually student from state of FL, foreign graduate pharmacist, can I apply for non-traditional Pharm.D ? they accepting foreign pharmacist for NTPD? if so then that pharm D can be finished in 2 years and I can get Pharm .D degree after that? can I sit for NAPLEX after finishing NTPD?
Yes, you can apply for the NTPD at Howard. I think we are one of few schools that still have it! I am not entirely familiar with the specifics because I am not in that specific program. However, you can email our assistant dean, Dr. Karodeh, at [email protected]. He can thoroughly answer your questions.

Yes, you can apply for the NTPD at Howard. I think we are one of few schools that still have it! I am not entirely familiar with the specifics because I am not in that specific program. However, you can email our assistant dean, Dr. Karodeh, at [email protected]. He can thoroughly answer your questions.
Thank you very much for your reply, I really appreciated. Thanks.

Does anyone know if Howard looks at you whole. My PCAT was a 73 percentile. My cumulative gpa 2.77. Plus 2years pharmacy experience. I am just worried about the gpa.

Hey so i took my pcat today and my composite is very low. I got around 68 on bio and 75 in chem but my quant and reading were very low. I have been working at a pharmacy for two years and my GPA is 3.49, so do you think they will really look at the composite score more than my experience and GPA?

I received a 47 composite. my gpa is a 2.6 do I have a chance?

Very bad school with incredibly low standards....

Hey so i took my pcat today and my composite is very low. I got around 68 on bio and 75 in chem but my quant and reading were very low. I have been working at a pharmacy for two years and my GPA is 3.49, so do you think they will really look at the composite score more than my experience and GPA?
you are very competitive in my estimation

Just got the email and was accepted!!!! Have to complete the PBP program as a condition but would have done that anyway. Now to enjoy life until then :)
How did they base your conditional acceptance.

how long does it take before you hear back from them after an interview?

I'm wondering if I have a chance of being admitted. My composite score isn't that great but my individual science scores are Bio: 52, Chem: 66. I graduated from college in 2011 with a B.S. in Chemistry. I did poorly on the PCAT due to nerves, stress, etc. My GPA is currently a 3.16 (taking some last minute pre-reqs). I currently work within the Public Health field and have been doing various volunteering since I was in high school. I was a recipient of the Gates Millennium Scholarship. I submitted my application approximately two weeks ago and Pearson just sent me an email stating that my official scores are in. Do you guys think I may have a chance of at least getting an interview.