Howard College of Pharmacy (Class of 2020)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calikid1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To anyone thinking about applying to Howard's COP, feel free to shoot me a question. I'm a current student and although I won't answer anything regarding what you might expect on an interview, I can definitely answer questions about the university and anything else.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I will be applying to Howard for pharmacy school. I did a year of undergrad there and finished the rest of my prereqs at a community college.

I took my PCAT today and these were my preliminary scores
Chem: 93
Bio: 84
Quant: 85
Verbal: 25 :(
Reading: 47 :(
Comp: 76
Overall cumulative GPA: 3.69

I have been working as a registered pharmacy technician at CVS/pharmacy since Feb 2015.
I am pretty young (20 years old :) )

Hi!

I will be applying to Howard for pharmacy school. I did a year of undergrad there and finished the rest of my prereqs at a community college.

I took my PCAT today and these were my preliminary scores
Chem: 93
Bio: 84
Quant: 85
Verbal: 25 :(
Reading: 47 :(
Comp: 76
Overall cumulative GPA: 3.69

I have been working as a registered pharmacy technician at CVS/pharmacy since Feb 2015.
I am pretty young (20 years old :) )

Hi there! Historically we look at your Composite score first and then the break down. 76 is already a good score for us and the chem and bio scores are excellent. The verbal, admittedly is low but they will likely be fine with that as you clearly showed acumen in the sciences. The GPA is outstanding and the tech work all play well into your application. We currently have students who are 20 and 19, respectively, so you would fit right in with our youth movement :)
All in all, you sound like an amazing candidate on paper and I hope that you will apply! If you had any specific questions please let me know! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
My GPA is a tad bit weaker. I have 10+ years of pharmacy experience and I am a technician. 70 on PCAT with a degree in Chemistry. But like I said, GPA is not as strong. How competitive is it at Howard? I seem to not be able to find much info in that regard.

My GPA is a tad bit weaker. I have 10+ years of pharmacy experience and I am a technician. 70 on PCAT with a degree in Chemistry. But like I said, GPA is not as strong. How competitive is it at Howard? I seem to not be able to find much info in that regard.
Hi there! We definitely look at the entire package. The GPA is just one facet of your application and we consider EVERYTHING about our candidates. Your PCAT is competitive and your pharmacy experience will definitely help you. I don't know what your GPA is, you don't have to state it, but you have some things going for you. Having your degree completed is a plus, as is having it in a science discipline helps also!

Hi everyone!

I've recently been granted an interview at HCOP on the 17th and was curious as to how much importance is placed on the interview compared to your PCAT, GPA etc. I understand getting an interview means that the school considers me competitive however my GPA and PCAT are by no means competitive compared to most and mainly feel as though a strong personal statement, strong LOR's and 4 years as a Pharmacy Lead tech is what drew them to me.

I feel as though I would interview very well but was just curious if an outstanding interview would outweigh a mediocre PCAT and GPA.

Hi everyone!

I've recently been granted an interview at HCOP on the 17th and was curious as to how much importance is placed on the interview compared to your PCAT, GPA etc. I understand getting an interview means that the school considers me competitive however my GPA and PCAT are by no means competitive compared to most and mainly feel as though a strong personal statement, strong LOR's and 4 years as a Pharmacy Lead tech is what drew them to me.

I feel as though I would interview very well but was just curious if an outstanding interview would outweigh a mediocre PCAT and GPA.

Congrats on getting your interview! I will say two things.
1) Our residency coordinator has drilled in our heads from day one, the HARDEST part is always GETTING the interview. Once you get the interview, all you have to do is be yourself and sell them on your STRENGTHS. That being said, you've already done the hard part. I think the numbers on PharmCAS for the Class of 2019 state that 180 students were interviewed and that 153 were eventually offered admissions. That's at a rate of (83%). So the numbers are in your favor.

2) I myself thought I had a mediocre PCAT and GPA and here I am today, as a P2. Before I know it I'll be a P3. That being said, PCAT scores and GPA are nothing but numbers after you apply. At Howard, we look at the whole picture and see what makes you, you. I would say come to your interview and give us no reason NOT to take you.

Best of luck and depending on your interview date, I may be there :)

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for your feedback! I'm glad there are students like you on this forum to encourage us Pre-Pharms and look forward to hopefully being apart of HCOP class of 2020 as I cant see myself being happier at any other school of pharmacy.

Hope you happen to be one of this students either giving us the tour of the campus or entertaining any of our questions!

Hi everyone!

I am excited to say that I have been granted an interview with Howard!

Looking forward to it!

Good Luck! I'm sure it will go well the interview process is very laid back with a math quiz consisting of very basic conversions and derivatives.

I've recently interviewed on the 17th and it went really well with there only being 7 of us there and the faculty and students were super nice! Because I applied Early Decision I've been anxiously waiting to receive an email as we were expected to here from them Friday. I may be getting ahead of myself but during the interview the mentioned conditional acceptance in that you have to complete the PBP program. I have no problems with this as I would have done it anyway but was wondering if you do successfully complete the PBP program with a 75% or higher are you guaranteed acceptance at the point or is there a chance they can redact the offer. Once again I might be getting ahead of myself as I very well may just be accepted or declined but was just curious If I should be worried about not getting in next year based on a conditional acceptance.

Crossing my fingers I just hear something today though!

Good Luck! I'm sure it will go well the interview process is very laid back with a math quiz consisting of very basic conversions and derivatives.

I've recently interviewed on the 17th and it went really well with there only being 7 of us there and the faculty and students were super nice! Because I applied Early Decision I've been anxiously waiting to receive an email as we were expected to here from them Friday. I may be getting ahead of myself but during the interview the mentioned conditional acceptance in that you have to complete the PBP program. I have no problems with this as I would have done it anyway but was wondering if you do successfully complete the PBP program with a 75% or higher are you guaranteed acceptance at the point or is there a chance they can redact the offer. Once again I might be getting ahead of myself as I very well may just be accepted or declined but was just curious If I should be worried about not getting in next year based on a conditional acceptance.

Hey is this Johnathan. Its me Kwasi. We interviewed together. I have not heard anything back yet. Again crossing my fingers.

Hey! Yes it's me and thats a relief they may just be waiting till the last possible day to let us know. So nerve racking! Hopefully we both get good news!

Last edited:

To answer your question, you would have to attend PBP if you are accepted as a conditional student. I personally think that being in PBP helped me succeed my first semester in pharmacy school as it was essentially a free refresher course! As I said previously, you got the interview (the hard part) and now you completed it (the easy part)... now is time to just sit back and let the decision be made. There is nothing left for you to do nor will worrying about it endlessly be of any use. And usually you hear back the second Tuesday after your interview! Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
We did early decision and according to them, we will hear by this week but then again, Tuesday is right around the corner. The interview process was not that bad. The panel was lovely and really wanted to know a lot about me. Truly, getting the interview is the hardest but the interview process really was not that bad and I honestly enjoyed it.

For Early Decision they only have until Friday according to PharmCAS to inform us so hopefully tomorrow we hear from them. And yes I felt really good about my interviews as well it was a very good experience, still crossing my fingers.

To answer your question, you would have to attend PBP if you are accepted as a conditional student. I personally think that being in PBP helped me succeed my first semester in pharmacy school as it was essentially a free refresher course! As I said previously, you got the interview (the hard part) and now you completed it (the easy part)... now is time to just sit back and let the decision be made. There is nothing left for you to do nor will worrying about it endlessly be of any use. And usually you hear back the second Tuesday after your interview! Good luck! :)

Yea at this point there is nothing else we can do except wait just have to focus on something else for the time being.

To calm your guys' nerves, we don't typically do things on time.......... so please chill :)
Just go about life normally, when the result comes, it comes.

Yea technically we were supposed to be notified today but I guess there is no reason to stress about it.

Lol I was just looking at it right now. Pharmcas said early decision applicants will be notified by October 23rd but oh well. Yeah just relax. We will hear back eventually.
Yea technically we were supposed to be notified today but I guess there is no reason to stress about it.

Just got the email and was accepted!!!! Have to complete the PBP program as a condition but would have done that anyway. Now to enjoy life until then :)

Congrats guys! I thought you guys were pretty good candidates when I met yall :D

Congrats guys! I thought you guys were pretty good candidates when I met yall :D
Thank you! You all were so chill and informative during the student panel. I plan on relaxing the rest of this year but also curious about this NIH Academic Excellence Program and anything in general I could start doing to prepare for pharmacy school since we've been granted with knowing so early of our acceptance.

Last edited:
I've never heard of this NIH program. Were you referring to the PBP program that is offered by HUCOP?

Have you guys started looking for places to live?

Yea been getting a general sense of where I would like to live but feel like it's too early to seriously look.

Hey, I'm a sophomore currently attending Howard undergrad and I was wondering how my stats were looking for applying to Howard's Pharmacy school. My GPA is around a 3.7 and my science GPA is about a 3.4. All the classes I have taken are prerequisites for Howard's Pharmacy School and I'll be done with all the prerequisites by the end of Spring 2016. I have two strong letters of recommendation as well. I'm taking my PCAT in January and I'm confident I'll get a 70+ composite because I've been studying with the PCAT Destroyer, Dr. Collin's, and the Pearson's practice tests. My biggest fear in applying is that I don't have much experience in the field, like I have not done research and I don't have my pharmacy technician license. I do volunteer a lot with the clubs I'm involved in on campus such as doing volunteer work and tutoring students. I'm wondering how my application will rank against the rest...

Hey, I'm a sophomore currently attending Howard undergrad and I was wondering how my stats were looking for applying to Howard's Pharmacy school. My GPA is around a 3.7 and my science GPA is about a 3.4. All the classes I have taken are prerequisites for Howard's Pharmacy School and I'll be done with all the prerequisites by the end of Spring 2016. I have two strong letters of recommendation as well. I'm taking my PCAT in January and I'm confident I'll get a 70+ composite because I've been studying with the PCAT Destroyer, Dr. Collin's, and the Pearson's practice tests. My biggest fear in applying is that I don't have much experience in the field, like I have not done research and I don't have my pharmacy technician license. I do volunteer a lot with the clubs I'm involved in on campus such as doing volunteer work and tutoring students. I'm wondering how my application will rank against the rest...

Hey, just eye balling your numbers, they look extremely competitive. Do not worry if you don't have experience at the moment, you will get it as you matriculate. We have a few students who jumped into the pharmacy program after their second year of Howard undergrad so it happens. If you need further assistance or want help formulating your letter of intent, shoot me a DM. Best of luck and I hope to see you at one of these interviews in the near future!

Your stats are solid and it's a plus that you have done your undergrad there. Unfortunately no one knows for sure how different components of your application are weighted. One thing I can say is that typically applying early gives you the advantage as they do rolling admissions meaning there will be less seats the later you apply thus making it more competitive among who they accept. If you are granted an interview just make sure you stay true to yourself and are confident in what you say.

Just got the email and was accepted!!!! Have to complete the PBP program as a condition but would have done that anyway. Now to enjoy life until then :)

Hi! I was at your interview. I'm glad to see that you've been accepted. If you have any questions (I gave you my Facebook contact information) lol. Welcome to the PHARMily.

I have an interview January 9 and am excited to check out the program in person. As a Florida resident, the only thing I truly worry about is the cost. How likely is it that the school would grant financial aid, should I be accepted into the program? I know every case is different but just in a general sense.

I have an interview January 9 and am excited to check out the program in person. As a Florida resident, the only thing I truly worry about is the cost. How likely is it that the school would grant financial aid, should I be accepted into the program? I know every case is different but just in a general sense.
Financial aid for graduate students is unlike that for undergraduate students. In the latter, government money would allocated to students with need based on low-income. Contrasted with financial aid for graduate students where we are given loans at a more competitive rate than private banks. These loans used to be subsidized where there would be no interest accrued until we graduated, but this has since changed in the past few years. I have heard of students getting scholarship money entering their P1 year but not of need-based financial aid. I hope that makes sense and if I am wrong, please someone correct me.

This link might explain things better:
https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/sites/default/files/graduate-professional-funding-info.pdf

Hey everyone ! I was accepted a week ago. My one and only school applied to!

Reactions: 1 users
I sent in my PharmCAS application in late October and I still haven't received anything. I'm kind of worried because this is my first choice of school. Does anyone know when further interview dates will be held?

Last edited:
I sent in my PharmCAS application in late October and I still haven't received anything. I'm kind of worried because this is my first choice of school. Does anyone know when further interview dates will be held?
Interviews are done on a rolling basis so you will hear from us soon, I'm sure. The next dates are as follows:
Saturday, January 30, 2016
Saturday, February 6, 2016
Saturday, February 20, 2016
Saturday, March 5, 2016
Saturday, March 26, 2016
Saturday, April 9, 2016

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask! :)

To everyone reading this thread but too shy to ask a question, I won't bite :banana:

To everyone reading this thread but too shy to ask a question, I won't bite :banana:

Hi, I will be applying to Howard COP for this cycle however my main concern is the application deadline. I took my PCAT on January 6th, I'm wondering if my scores will be in on time before the deadline for applications? Any feedback would help, thanks in advance !

Hi, I will be applying to Howard COP for this cycle however my main concern is the application deadline. I took my PCAT on January 6th, I'm wondering if my scores will be in on time before the deadline for applications? Any feedback would help, thanks in advance !
In the past year and a half of doing interviews I have seen all sorts of students apply and get interviews without either PCAT scores or all pre-reqs required. I would say contact our admissions officer, Marlon Prince (202-806-6533 or [email protected]), and make him aware that you just took the PCAT. After you submit your Pharmcas to us we will be able to see everything else and may offer you an interview without the PCAT score yet. Of course, a lot of things are conditional at that point. We may wait until the score posts to offer you an interview or we may just bring you in first. As shown above we still have SEVEN interview dates remaining so your score will be official by then.
It's been awhile since I took a PCAT, but aren't your preliminary scores provided as soon as you exit? You could tell them your submit ahead of time I would assume.

Anything else, please let me know! Best of luck!

Last edited:
In the past year and a half of doing interviews I have seen all sorts of students apply and get interviews without either PCAT scores or all pre-reqs required. I would say contact our admissions officer, Marlon Prince (202-806-6533 or [email protected]), and make him aware that you just took the PCAT. After your submit your Pharmcas to us we will be able to see everything else and may offer you an interview without the PCAT score yet. Of course, a lot of things are conditional at that point. We may wait until the score posts to offer you an interview or we may just bring you in first. As shown above we still have SEVEN interview dates remaining so your score will be official by then.
It's been awhile since I took a PCAT, but aren't your preliminary scores provided as soon as you exit? You could tell them your submit ahead of time I would assume.

Anything else, please let me know! Best of luck!

Great advice! I will be contacting him this week! And yes I received my preliminary scores, so I can make them aware of those as well. Thank you again for the quick response!

I interviewed January 9th and I got my acceptance letter a few days ago!!!!
I'm trying to decide if I would like to attend the PBP program this summer. Do most people generally attend? Is it very strenuous?

I interviewed January 9th and I got my acceptance letter a few days ago!!!!
I'm trying to decide if I would like to attend the PBP program this summer. Do most people generally attend? Is it very strenuous?
Congratulations!! I would HIGHLY suggest the PBP program. 1) it is ENTIRELY free to attend 2) You will be taught by Honors students who know what is expected and how material will be tested 3) I would say 99% of students who enter PBP go to say their first semester was "easy".
It is definitely strenuous. You have 5 weeks to essentially retake your prereqs. If you are a conditional student, each week must be passed with a 70%. 1 week per subject (Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Microbio, Pharmacy Math).
I was conditional and PBP definitely stressed me out but it was WORTH IT. 1st semester will become a lot more manageable.
I would say 50% of your class will attend it. Any other questions, feel free to ask!

Thank-you!! With that being said I can definitely understand how beneficial the program can be.

Also, as far as housing, do you have any suggestions or advice of what most pharmacy students do? Since the cost of living is expensive in the city of DC; I've been considering living outside of DC and commuting to campus or taking public transportation. Do many pharmacy students commute, if so what are some of the cities near by that would not have a terrible commute considering traffic.

Thank-you!! With that being said I can definitely understand how beneficial the program can be.

Also, as far as housing, do you have any suggestions or advice of what most pharmacy students do? Since the cost of living is expensive in the city of DC; I've been considering living outside of DC and commuting to campus or taking public transportation. Do many pharmacy students commute, if so what are some of the cities near by that would not have a terrible commute considering traffic.

My honest suggestion is to live as close to school as possible. I am not sure what city you're from but this area (the DMV) and being in graduate school mean your time is precious. My P1 year I lived Hyattsville (3350 at Alterra) which is a mere 6 miles on Google Maps; however, on mornings it would take upwards of 50 minutes or more driving (there is no freeway to take) and taking the metro was more or less the same time (but more expensive as each way is probably 3 dollars on the train). My roommate had his significant other with him so we split a two bed two bath for about $700 (without utilities). The commute was awful but more importantly, when studying at campus I would have to drive a minimum of 25 minutes (even in the middle of the night) just to go home and shower/eat. During Finals weeks, I wound up sleeping at school rather than sacrifice pretty much an hour to shower.

Fast forward to my P2 year, I now live next to the National Basilica (a mere 1 mile from campus) but pay about $1000 (without utilities) for my share of a two bed two bath. But the beauty of it is that I can get to school in a matter of 5 minutes and come home freely. If you add up the time you're stuck in traffic over the course of 4 years, I'm willing to wager that you're losing an irreplaceable amount of hours you could have been studying, networking, doing research, or anything else beneficial to your career. A few hundred dollars of rent per month you may save to live closer you will pay for it in study time, traffic, etc. that may make your graduate career a much more difficult one. In the grand scheme of your life, however many thousand dollars you paid extra in rent, will not be as substantial when you graduate and begin making pharmacist money. My advice is to think long term and not be short-sighted in trying to find somewhere to live.

With that said, I'll give you the run down of where some of my classmates live (and what they pay if I know it):

Classmate in Laurel, MD: lives with family but commutes a minimum of 35 minutes each way (18 miles).
Classmate in Baltimore, MD: lives with family but commutes a minimum of an hour each way (37 miles).
Classmates in Hyattsville, MD: live at University Town Center (student housing): pay about $700 (if they have 3 roommates) with bills included. A shuttle is included and runs I think 7:00 AM until 11:00 PM that goes to campus and back. Commute depends on when you leave and the traffic (6 miles). This is also metro accessible.
http://www.thetowersatutc.com/
Classmate in Fairfax, VA: lives at home with family but depending on traffic, the drive is anywhere between 40 minutes to 2 hours (20 miles).
Classmates living in DC: expect the rent to be the highest but the consensus is that most are happy with the shorter commute and being able to go to and from home at will. Rent at an apartment is at least $700 and bills are usually not included.
http://www.aventineforttotten.com/Floor-Plans.aspx
http://www.parkplace-dc.com/
http://www.thecloistersdc.com/

Living on campus at Howard is also an option but I would highly advice AGAINST it. Rent there is like $1200 at a minimum to live in a rundown apartment that has problems daily. Every single student in the Class of 2018 literally ran out of there as soon as they could.
If you're new to the city, I would advice to either live in Northeast DC or Southern Maryland. Living in Virginia will give you likely the longest commute as there is only one way into town and every is forced to take it.
Again, there are lots of factors to housing and everyone prioritizes things differently. Do your research and find your best fit. Also get roommates early!!!!!!!

Anything else, feel free to ask :)

Hello,
I just got accepted into Howard University College of Pharmacy, and also into Mercer University College of Pharmacy. Howard was originally my first choice, I want something new. But I feel like I don't see any good reviews about it. I want to know how the school reputation is compared to all the other schools in the area up there. Mercer has a very good reputation in the Georgia, does Howard have the same reputation in that area? I have noticed that the NAPLEX pass rate for Howard is not very good, and I was told to run away from schools who's pass rate are below the 90s. I was wondering if you guys think about everything.

Hello,
I just got accepted into Howard University College of Pharmacy, and also into Mercer University College of Pharmacy. Howard was originally my first choice, I want something new. But I feel like I don't see any good reviews about it. I want to know how the school reputation is compared to all the other schools in the area up there. Mercer has a very good reputation in the Georgia, does Howard have the same reputation in that area? I have noticed that the NAPLEX pass rate for Howard is not very good, and I was told to run away from schools who's pass rate are below the 90s. I was wondering if you guys think about everything.
Congrats on your acceptance to both schools!
I would say, look more closely at the statistics. The NAPLEX score for Howard is misleading because our class sizes are among the smallest in the country. Our class of 2015 had a mere 45 or so graduating students. If only 2 students did not pass, you're already looking at a 95% pass rate. You would also have to consider the actual scores. It would be easy to say that students at a COP with a pass rating below 90% is having students completely bomb the NAPLEX, but that is not the case. More often than not students may be on the cusp, for whatever reason just needed a second try. I don't know everyone's circumstances but if you look at a larger university, Mercer for example, their class sizes are beyond 150 students each year. They would need double digit students to get below a passing score to really affect their pass rating. If Howard students were failing the NAPLEX in the double digits, we would not even be accredited anymore. So take those stats with a grain of salt, as a single number does not define any one school.
Howard is synonymous with Washington, DC. I would say it is the ideal school if your objective in pharmacy is something besides retail. I would say half of our students graduate and go into retail the others go into residency (industry and clinical focus) or work at hospitals. Our ratio is far different than some other schools. If you want exposure to government entities (FDA, NIH, IHS, APhA, etc.) or industry (Cardinal, DIA, etc.), Howard provides that on a different level. Our COP has built connections in the nation's capital for over 148 years (est. 1868) and few other schools can compare to that.
Best of luck with your decision and again, congrats on acceptance!

Reactions: 1 users