How would you rank these TX programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flashgordon

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, but how would you guys rank these programs overall? I need to cancel some interviews...

UTSW, UT-Houston, Baylor, UTMB

thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been told UTMB > Ut- Houston > Baylor > UT-SW

I don't know if that's true or not.

Thanks,

Coastie

I'm not sure what you are looking for, but as far as towns go, Dallas, Houston and Galveston each offer distinctly different experiences. That might be a place to start. Where would you like to spend the next 4 years?

Beyond that, I haven't really heard that any of those programs has a remarkable edge over the others.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well let's say you could only pick 2 places to interview. Which 2 would you choose?

All I know is that UTSW seems to have a lot of issues going on with it right now. Seems unstable at the moment. All the cases you want, except 70 hours/week.

Any other year I would have said UTSW, 'cause I think it's a great place (even if the workload is a little heavy). But I agree, seems like this is a tough year for them.

I really don't know what your schedule is like, but it would be very easy to hit the two Houstons and G-town if the schedule works out that way. I would recommend those three. Honestly, I haven't heard anything that just makes me want to go to one Houston program over another. It might be worth it to see both and see how you fit in. Some people love Galveston, but if you are looking for a little more big city life, this ain't the place for you. If that's a consideration, cancel that one.

I'll try to break it down from best to worse

Work Hours:
1)UTMB
2)Baylor
3)UT Houston
4)UTSW

Caseload:(some would argue 2>1)
1)UT Houston
2) UTSW
3) Baylor
4) UTMB

Education/Didactics (some would argue 4>3)
1)UTMB
2)Baylor
3)UTSW
4)UT Houston

City
1) Houston
2) Dallas
3) Galveston

alright then, how's the weather in upper vs lower Texas? Is it true that it gets more hot + humid the closer you get to the coast? I live in SoCal so I'm assuming it won't be too hard for me to adapt. Do you Texans turn on the AC 24/7 all year long?

alright then, how's the weather in upper vs lower Texas? Is it true that it gets more hot + humid the closer you get to the coast? I live in SoCal so I'm assuming it won't be too hard for me to adapt. Do you Texans turn on the AC 24/7 all year long?

Its a lot more hot and humid in Galveston and Houston than in Dallas. Galveston worse than Houston worse than Dallas. It actually gets cold in Dallas during the winters and can sometimes freeze/snow. It gets cold in Houston and Galveston, but nothing crazy...possibly a week of 30s

If you have ever lived up north winters in Texas are not that bad. In Dallas it occasionally will snow but it almost always melts by noon. One of the biggest problems is that most people never turn off their sprinkler systems so, the occasional night when it gets below freezing their run off creates a nice ice patch in the road.

Lubbock has some of the worst weather in Texas. Colder than Dallas in the Winter. Hotter than Dallas in the summer and no almost no humidity all year long. It is so dry that if you see haze when you look out the window 99% of the time it is a cloud of dust.

Huston and Galveston are very humid but do have mild winters.

San Antonio is probably the best location weather wise. Mild winters and no humidity.

Texas

University of Texas Southwestern Medical School Program
Dallas, Texas 040-48-21-147

University of Texas Medical Branch Hospitals Program
Galveston, Texas 040-48-11-149

Baylor College of Medicine Program
Houston, Texas 040-48-31-150

University of Texas Health Science Center Program
Houston, Texas 040-48-31-152

San Antonio Uniformed Services Health Education Consortium Program
Lackland AFB, Texas 040-48-21-091

Texas Tech University (Lubbock) Program
Lubbock, Texas 040-48-11-153

University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio Program
San Antonio, Texas 040-48-21-155

Texas A&M College of Medicine-Scott and White Program
Temple, Texas 040-48-21-156

If you have ever lived up north winters in Texas are not that bad. In Dallas it occasionally will snow but it almost always melts by noon. One of the biggest problems is that most people never turn off their sprinkler systems so, the occasional night when it gets below freezing their run off creates a nice ice patch in the road.

Lubbock has some of the worst weather in Texas. Colder than Dallas in the Winter. Hotter than Dallas in the summer and no almost no humidity all year long. It is so dry that if you see haze when you look out the window 99% of the time it is a cloud of dust.

Huston and Galveston are very humid but do have mild winters.

San Antonio is probably the best location weather wise. Mild winters and no humidity.

No humidity in San Antonio?!--yeah, right. If you're from SoCal, just about anything east and/or south of Wichita Falls will feel very humid to you. Houston more so than Dallas, but it is still quite humid in Dallas. In fact, the actual high temps in the summer are higher in Dallas than in Houston. It's probably a toss up weather-wise...hot is hot, sweaty balls are sweaty balls. Houston and Galveston do have to deal with tropical cyclones sometimes.

Yes, we do keep our A/C or heat running year round--only exception might be out in West Texas on a cool night (in the desert). Most of Texas weather is an exercise in extremes.