How to set myself up for a top Ob/Gyn residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinetrees34

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Reposting this from the medical student forum. I am an incoming MS1 at a top 10 medical school this fall. I have a really specific interest in global Ob/Gyn (I worked as a doula and with a refugee resettlement agency during my gap years, so I'm open-minded going into school but am pretty certain this is what I want to do). I see myself working in academic medicine or with a public health agency, so I would love to match at a strong Ob/Gyn program like MGH/BWH (I'm not going to HMS for medical school) or similar with a global health track. Or really, just set myself up for being an attractive candidate for whichever residency program I see as my first choice in a couple years.

I feel like standing out as a medical school applicant was "easy" in the sense that if you had strong grades and took a few gap years to do something unique, it made for a compelling story (at least in my experience). But how does one stand out for residency, especially with step 1 going pass/fail and schools getting rid of AOA or awarding post-match? I know that many specialties are looking for strong research experience. Is Ob/Gyn similar? Or is there more of a focus on community engagement, life narrative, etc.? I'm also considering doing a dual degree in medical school, but would probably only do that if I'm able to secure funding.

Thanks so much and apologies if I sound neurotic--I'm a planner, and I'm excited to start school and start working towards my dream career. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! Reposting this from the medical student forum. I am an incoming MS1 at a top 10 medical school this fall. I have a really specific interest in global Ob/Gyn (I worked as a doula and with a refugee resettlement agency during my gap years, so I'm open-minded going into school but am pretty certain this is what I want to do). I see myself working in academic medicine or with a public health agency, so I would love to match at a strong Ob/Gyn program like MGH/BWH (I'm not going to HMS for medical school) or similar with a global health track. Or really, just set myself up for being an attractive candidate for whichever residency program I see as my first choice in a couple years.

I feel like standing out as a medical school applicant was "easy" in the sense that if you had strong grades and took a few gap years to do something unique, it made for a compelling story (at least in my experience). But how does one stand out for residency, especially with step 1 going pass/fail and schools getting rid of AOA or awarding post-match? I know that many specialties are looking for strong research experience. Is Ob/Gyn similar? Or is there more of a focus on community engagement, life narrative, etc.? I'm also considering doing a dual degree in medical school, but would probably only do that if I'm able to secure funding.

Thanks so much and apologies if I sound neurotic--I'm a planner, and I'm excited to start school and start working towards my dream career. :)

OB GYN does not value research in general.

Even if Step 1 change to pass/ fail, I am under the impression Step 2 will be scored (please correct me if I am wrong).

Do well in your third year clerkships (OB GYN, Medicine and Surgery).

Get good letters of rec from well known faculty (see below)

Go to a highly ranked medical school (which it sounds like you are doing)

If your medical school is top 10, the OBGYN department should be well regarded

Members don't see this ad :)
OB GYN does not value research in general.

i think that this is true for community programs and the low tier/mid-tier programs but higher end programs I think will weigh research heavily and as obgyn gets more competitive they are going to have to use that as a metric to rank applicants, it is at the moment just too difficult to measure something like “commitment to the field and the community”. And if you want to do a fellowship (especially a surgical one) research is all but essential to even get an interview.

I agree with @anonperson that clinical performance and LoR etc are important and most energy should be directed at that but having research will only be of benefit. As evidence nearly every single person applying to obgyn at my school worked with me on research and we had 2 not match and they did not have research. This is anecdotal of course, and there could be other variables at play for a non match but still food for thought

Reactions: 1 user
i think that this is true for community programs and the low tier/mid-tier programs but higher end programs I think will weigh research heavily and as obgyn gets more competitive they are going to have to use that as a metric to rank applicants, it is at the moment just too difficult to measure something like “commitment to the field and the community”. And if you want to do a fellowship (especially a surgical one) research is all but essential to even get an interview.

I agree with @anonperson that clinical performance and LoR etc are important and most energy should be directed at that but having research will only be of benefit. As evidence nearly every single person applying to obgyn at my school worked with me on research and we had 2 not match and they did not have research. This is anecdotal of course, and there could be other variables at play for a non match but still food for thought
I disagree.

I did medical school at a large academic center. Residency at a community program and fellowship at a large academic center.

I interviewed prospective medical students during residency and fellowship and research experience was a minor factor for the PDs at both places.

What program directors want:
1. People who will finish residency without causing trouble
2. People who will become board certified

At the larger academic programs, PDs also like pedigree as well.

When I applied for residency, I had a first author publication and another that was in process. It infrequently came up and did not cover up my application deficiencies (which I have written openly about in the past).

Realistically, how much meaningful research can a medical student do?

Fellowship is different and even then academic pedigree and connections play a large role. I have seen GYN ONC spots get promised to residents from other programs (you take mine, I'll take yours) blatantly. Yes, they will have research but that is a function of being in a high powered program and hopping into an easier project.

If one enjoys research, go ahead and do some. It will most likely be some retrospective chart review etc/ abstract. But I would not do the research if it comes at the expense of your grades etc. It will not cover that type of a deficiency.

L
I disagree.

I did medical school at a large academic center. Residency at a community program and fellowship at a large academic center.

I interviewed prospective medical students during residency and fellowship and research experience was a minor factor for the PDs at both places.

When I applied for residency, I had a first author publication and another that was in process. It infrequently came up and did not cover up my application deficiencies (which I have written openly about in the past).

Fellowship is different and even then academic pedigree and connections play a large role. I have seen GYN ONC spots get promised to residents from other programs (you take mine, I'll take yours) blatantly. Yes, they will have research but that is a function of being in a high powered program and hopping into an easier project.

If one enjoys research, go ahead and do some. It will most likely be some retrospective chart review etc/ abstract. But I would not do the research if it comes at the expense of your grades etc. It will not cover that type of a deficiency.
I disagree.

Again agree with you in general especially the last bit and am
Not trying to say that research is an absolute must just that it looks good on an app but not better than good grades

with fellowship I would strongly disagree, when we pick people to interview it is a hard pass on people with no research and if they somehow make it into the interviews they will not be ranked highly. Fellowships won’t productive fellows to increase the reputation and imprint of the fellowship. The quid pro quo exists but is very rare and usually accompanied by extenuating circumstances. But even then no program is going to take a dud and by dud I mean someone who has demonstrated no proclivity for research productivity.

Thank you both so much @Dr G Oogle @anonperson ! This was really helpful. I have a bit of research experience under my belt, and it is something I'm interested in continuing to pursue during medical school, but I'm glad to know that this isn't a specialty that values number of publications over all else.

Get good letters of rec from well known faculty (see below)

Go to a highly ranked medical school (which it sounds like you are doing)

If your medical school is top 10, the OBGYN department should be well regarded

I'm curious about how the strength of a school's home department might affect things--I'm still making the final decision about which school I'll attend (lucky to have received several top 10 acceptances). I'm sure no matter where I go I'll have great mentorship and I do think my final decision will be based on need-based grants over anything else (plus I of course might change my mind during medical school), but it does seem like some of the schools I'm considering have stronger/larger Ob/Gyn departments than others. Do you think this is something important to consider when selecting a school?

Thank you both so much @Dr G Oogle @anonperson ! This was really helpful. I have a bit of research experience under my belt, and it is something I'm interested in continuing to pursue during medical school, but I'm glad to know that this isn't a specialty that values number of publications over all else.

I'm curious about how the strength of a school's home department might affect things--I'm still making the final decision about which school I'll attend (lucky to have received several top 10 acceptances). I'm sure no matter where I go I'll have great mentorship and I do think my final decision will be based on need-based grants over anything else (plus I of course might change my mind during medical school), but it does seem like some of the schools I'm considering have stronger/larger Ob/Gyn departments than others. Do you think this is something important to consider when selecting a school?

Any of the top 10 (I'm assuming based on US News research rankings) medical schools will set you up to do whatever you want.

Some may have larger OBGYN departments but none is truly weak.

There is a decent chance you don't even end up doing OBGYN anyways.

Pedigree will matter a lot after step 1 is pass/fail, and I would weigh in quality of department since you have the best shot of staying at home program. not all top 10 schools have great obgyn departments with well known faculty. For instance Brigham has a pretty well know group, but MGH and BID don’t really, same with NYU and UCSF and OHSU have a somewhat disorganized dept the main reason it’s competitive is because of the location. But the schools themselves are fantastic.

also not sure what you’re basing Top 10, Yale is one of the top 10 universities but not ranked in top 10 med schools by us world, the only reason I bring them up is that their department is not well known at all and from what I understand is always in a state of turmoil

Thank you both so much, this was so helpful!
There is a decent chance you don't even end up doing OBGYN anyways.
Yes, very good point--I am definitely going in with an open mind!

Pedigree will matter a lot after step 1 is pass/fail, and I would weigh in quality of department since you have the best shot of staying at home program. not all top 10 schools have great obgyn departments with well known faculty. For instance Brigham has a pretty well know group, but MGH and BID don’t really, same with NYU and UCSF and OHSU have a somewhat disorganized dept the main reason it’s competitive is because of the location. But the schools themselves are fantastic.

also not sure what you’re basing Top 10, Yale is one of the top 10 universities but not ranked in top 10 med schools by us world, the only reason I bring them up is that their department is not well known at all and from what I understand is always in a state of turmoil
@Dr G Oogle I PM'ed you! :)