How to Prepare for GI Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoktrJ21

Reaction score
Hello all, I recently accepted a GI fellowship position outside the match and was wondering what I can do to start preparing. I am currently doing a chief year, and have not really had any clinical duties, so granted I am a little rusty taking about 4 months off. I was just wondering what resources most first year fellows use so I can start reviewing now while I have time. Thank you in advance for all the answers

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn’t personally prepare. I didn’t use any specific resources at any point in my fellowship. GI has good guidelines if you want to look em up on ACG or AASLD etc

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all, I recently accepted a GI fellowship position outside the match and was wondering what I can do to start preparing. I am currently doing a chief year, and have not really had any clinical duties, so granted I am a little rusty taking about 4 months off. I was just wondering what resources most first year fellows use so I can start reviewing now while I have time. Thank you in advance for all the answers
Take IM boards.
Enjoy your hobbies, read for pleasure.
Work to make extra money.
Travel
Get your social and personal life in order
Become financially literate

Complete/ start GI research projects
Attend your intuitions GI conferences.
In the 1-3 months before starting ask if you can do time on the GI consult service and clinic to get yourself back into the swing of clinical work.

If you must and cannot live without it, skim various guidelines as above from the AGA, ACG, ASGE, and AASLD, knowing you will read these throughout fellowship.

Don't read about endoscopy. You won't understand/ retain, and will learn on the job anyway.

Reactions: 2 users