Dropping prelim spot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CyrusHabs7695

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, apologize if this a dumb question. I just recently matched a preliminary medicine program as well as an advanced position in a different field. For my own reasons, I regret not going into a surgical preliminary year. My question is, am I able to drop out of my prelim medicine spot and contact prelim surgery programs with openings?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, apologize if this a dumb question. I just recently matched a preliminary medicine program as well as an advanced position in a different field. For my own reasons, I regret not going into a surgical preliminary year. My question is, am I able to drop out of my prelim medicine spot and contact prelim surgery programs with openings?
I believe that would be a match violation (@NotAProgDirector , please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm confused as to why you would risk a match violation and/or not having a prelim spot to do that. It's one year, and you already have an advanced position in your field of choice waiting for you after you finish.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The NRMP match is a binding contract on both sides. I believe you have to complete at least a year before you can drop your contract. In the case of an IM prelim, a year also means completing the program.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's one year, and you already have categorical position in your field of choice waiting for you after you finish.
Just to nitpick - they have an advanced position, not a categorical position

For example, for anes -
Prelim ⇨ PGY 1
Advanced ⇨ PGY 2-4

Categorical ⇨ PGY 1-4

Reactions: 1 user
You can't drop it, but I believe you can swap prelim spots with someone else. I don't know anyone who's actually done this, but see people trying to do it online all the time.

I would think very carefully before trying to get out of your medicine prelim spot for a surgery prelim spot at this stage. You may regret doing medicine now, but you also may end up with a spot you'll regret even more.

I believe that would be a match violation (@NotAProgDirector , please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm confused as to why you would risk a match violation and/or not having a prelim spot to do that. It's one year, and you already have an advanced position in your field of choice waiting for you after you finish.
Perhaps they want to do something procedural like IR or even anesthesia and feel they'd benefit from a GS prelim moreso than a medical one. Another thought is maybe they're reconsidering surgery as a career path altogether and want to get the foot in the door with the prelim. If it's the latter, just know OP that you won't seamlessly flow from prelim surgery to PGY-2 GS and you're going to have to show up to your med prelim July 1st so there's no urgency or something to really plan right now. If you have a good application (Step scores, clinical grades, etc.), you may just find it easier to NETWORK now, do the medicine prelim, and apply to categorical surgery positions this fall. You also have two months right now to do surgery rotations so I would make sure you find a way to get two months of surgery electives in for letters. Anyways, OP intentionally chose not to specify ("for my own reasons") so seems like they just want a feasibility assessment.

In that regard, I'm not sure. Obviously whatever you want to do will have to go through the GME offices at your incoming program and outgoing program. If it's feasible (via a switch), I'm guessing your best prelim surgery shot would be at the place you're already doing prelim medicine given the program directors may have a relationship moreso than a medicine PD and surgery PD do at separate institutions. I think (but don't know) that this would likely have to be after you show up to work on day 1 in order to fulfill your match obligation so definitely start making living arrangements for the medicine prelim. If you're looking on changing fields entirely and moving to surgery, it's even more complicated with your advanced position having to get involved too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
No, you can't change now. As mentioned, the match is binding. You can't swap -- these posts appear every year, and you can't just swap with someone else. You can't ask for a change of specialty waiver.

This is not a dumb question but it is a terrible idea. You're not going to get much out of a prelim year regardless

Perhaps they want to do something procedural like IR or even anesthesia and feel they'd benefit from a GS prelim moreso than a medical one. Another thought is maybe they're reconsidering surgery as a career path altogether and want to get the foot in the door with the prelim. If it's the latter, just know OP that you won't seamlessly flow from prelim surgery to PGY-2 GS and you're going to have to show up to your med prelim July 1st so there's no urgency or something to really plan right now. If you have a good application (Step scores, clinical grades, etc.), you may just find it easier to NETWORK now, do the medicine prelim, and apply to categorical surgery positions this fall. You also have two months right now to do surgery rotations so I would make sure you find a way to get two months of surgery electives in for letters. Anyways, OP intentionally chose not to specify ("for my own reasons") so seems like they just want a feasibility assessment.

In that regard, I'm not sure. Obviously whatever you want to do will have to go through the GME offices at your incoming program and outgoing program. If it's feasible (via a switch), I'm guessing your best prelim surgery shot would be at the place you're already doing prelim medicine given the program directors may have a relationship moreso than a medicine PD and surgery PD do at separate institutions. I think (but don't know) that this would likely have to be after you show up to work on day 1 in order to fulfill your match obligation so definitely start making living arrangements for the medicine prelim. If you're looking on changing fields entirely and moving to surgery, it's even more complicated with your advanced position having to get involved too.

This is mostly why. Im beyond grateful and happy to have matched one of the ROADs specialties, but im having a little "looking back how much I enjoyed surgery" phase. I mostly loved my experience in CT surgery and am just wishing I would've went down that road, however I do love the specialty I matched into.