Applying to top residency programs after dropping MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scaredmedstudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dropped the PhD portion because it's not what I want ultimately and I applied for the wrong reasons. Anyway, I'm still interested in research and I am involved in a small project right now that may or may not lead to authorship. However, down the line I'm interested in IM, FM, or psych right now (about to start clerkships soon and I'll know more). Would dropping the PhD exclude me from top programs?

I'm coming from a top 40 school.

Members don't see this ad.

I dropped the PhD portion because it's not what I want ultimately and I applied for the wrong reasons. Anyway, I'm still interested in research and I am involved in a small project right now that may or may not lead to authorship. However, down the line I'm interested in IM, FM, or psych right now (about to start clerkships soon and I'll know more). Would dropping the PhD exclude me from top programs?

I'm coming from a top 40 school.
Why would you think that it would? At the end of the day, why would any program view you any differently than any other applicant without a PhD?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you think that it would? At the end of the day, why would any program view you any differently than any other applicant without a PhD?
Not OP but I had a similar fear. I think it’s the idea of having a track record of dropping major research, so maybe you won’t want to do a lot of research at a top program

Not OP but I had a similar fear. I think it’s the idea of having a track record of dropping major research, so maybe you won’t want to do a lot of research at a top program
This goes back to @GoSpursGo's post above. You will either address that through productive research, or you won't. Just like everyone else applying to top programs. No reason to discriminate against someone who started out wanting a PhD and then changed their mind.

Hmm. My 2 cents as a 4th year med student: it is a slight minus, but slight. Clerkship grades, LoRs, and Step scores will make or break you. Good luck.

I don't think anyone will hold anything against you for dropping the PhD.
As a current 5th year PhD, I'd applaud you for it. It takes a lot of guts to acknowledge you made that mistake. Not sure if PDs feel the same way. I think if anything it may sting for some of them if they are involved with the MSTP T32, because they have to answer for any attrition and they still seem to think that "investing $400k" in you for 4-5 extra years of your time is some sort of massive favor and not part of a larger pyramid scheme to trap as much cheap labor for academic labs as possible.

Ultimately though, all you have to say is that you recognized that you didn't want to start an independently funded lab, and that you could accomplish your career goals in research in other ways. Fair enough. Most MD/PhDs recognize that eventually anyway. PDs who would hold it against you aren't running programs you want to be a part of anyway.

Make sure to get on some clinical pubs, and try to do something translational if the goal is to keep basic science in your life.

As a current 5th year PhD, I'd applaud you for it. It takes a lot of guts to acknowledge you made that mistake. Not sure if PDs feel the same way. I think if anything it may sting for some of them if they are involved with the MSTP T32, because they have to answer for any attrition and they still seem to think that "investing $400k" in you for 4-5 extra years of your time is some sort of massive favor and not part of a larger pyramid scheme to trap as much cheap labor for academic labs as possible.

Ultimately though, all you have to say is that you recognized that you didn't want to start an independently funded lab, and that you could accomplish your career goals in research in other ways. Fair enough. Most MD/PhDs recognize that eventually anyway. PDs who would hold it against you aren't running programs you want to be a part of anyway.

Make sure to get on some clinical pubs, and try to do something translational if the goal is to keep basic science in your life.
Having a PhD would be better than not having it for residency application purposes IMHO.

Having a PhD would be better than not having it for residency application purposes IMHO.
It would seem that way, but not always. If someone intends to continue research then sure, but if they don't really have a research plan for their future, then it could actually hurt. Certain programs will look at the app and invite them for an interview (especially higher power academic programs) while other community type/lower programs may not invite them thinking 'why bother interviewing them, those types don't typically rank us to match'.

When the person interviews at the academic programs and the program learns that the candidate isn't what they thought (in terms of their research plans), they could rank them lower.

I speak from personal experience (both when I applied for residency programs and being involved in my program's interview/selection process). Again, while in general I agree it should help, it could actually be a bit detrimental in certain specific cases.

Last edited:
It would seem that way, but not always. If someone intends to continue research then sure, but if they don't really have a research plan for their future, then it could actually hurt. Certain programs will look at the app and invite them for an interview (especially higher power academic programs) while other community type/lower programs may not invite them thinking 'why bother interviewing them, those types don't typically rank us to match'.

When the person interviews at the academic programs and the program learns that the candidate isn't what they thought (in terms of their research plans), they could rank them lower.

I speak from personal experience (both when I applied for residency programs and being involved in my program's interview/selection process). Again, while in general I agree it should help, it could actually be a bit detrimental in certain specific cases.
I think it would be pretty silly to go into a residency interview and announce that you plan on dumping the strongest aspect of your application. In a PD's eyes, the best reason to stop pursuing research is to start pursuing something else, and presumably you'd have already built yourself up in that area (e.g., you want to focus on education and have extensive teaching experience). But then they have to want that skillet, and you have to be the best choice for them to get it.

A lot of MD/PhDs are (very understandably) burnt out and dreading another 4-7 years of training. The most comforting thing in that scenario is to tell yourself you'll stop grinding and focus on clinical medicine. Seems like those are thoughts to keep to yourself until you are on the job hunt.

People can figure it out though. I certainly didn't tell people I just planned on stopping research cold turkey. However, during interviews I was asked if I had ongoing funding, projects, was writing grants, etc. Since I'm honest I had to tell interviewers I didn't. I'm sure my situation (the situation I laid out there) is rare, but I still thought it was worth putting out there for people to think about.

Last edited: