How to keep it together

tinkerchick

Tinkerchick
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My husband is a soon to be med student and is very motivated and devoted to getting excellent grades and doesnt let anything stop him..My question for everyone is, how do I support him, take care of him, when he is having so much trouble focusing on our relationship. I have noticed everytime he starts school he is so focused, I feel ignored or feel that I am just in the way. I know everyone says find something to do...hobby, etc. yet I dont want to live seperate lives and grow apart from him..I am scared to let go, I guess. I just dont know how to make all things work in sync. When we are together we are soul mates yet when school starts we have so much troubles balancing both aspects...anyone have any good ideas, or thoughts....? For the most part I feel I can handle him going to med school and being gone yet its hard to deal with feeling your not wanted, or a bother to that other person...I know he loves me and wants things to work yet ....I dont know what to do to make the stress less stressful and the problems..solutions..:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Something I've learned is sometimes you have to let go. Especially the first two years because those can be the hardest. Every moment of the day is consumed and you might feel neglected. But if tension mounts during school, I think the hardest thing to do is just back off. You know he loves you and cares for you. Maybe as some people have suggested before you have a scheduled date time. Even if its just 30 mins a day that you sit down and have dinner together. Your not going to get alot of time together especially if he wants to excel. It doesn't get any easier after the first two years or even residency. Sometimes you get frustrated with the lack of help around the house or you just wish you could GO OUT for a night and have him all to yourself. I know that marriage is a two way street but if you keep getting frustrated with him and acting out (not saying you do, but IF you do - and most women do!!!) you're not going to help the problem. (I've been there and done that).

The best advice I can give is back off of him and just be there for support. Talk to him about the way you feel and about your relationship in a calm manner. Make sure not to place blame. Ask if you plan some together time because you miss him and you want to support him and realize he's stressed out but he needs time to destress also. Yes, get a hobby, make sure to plan time with your friends and plan things with his classmates. You may not get to see him every day like you want but he should take a break and realize you have needs too and you're just trying to help. Honestly my animals are a saving grace sometimes to cuddle up to when the bed is empty next to me.

Best of :luck:

One thing that has helped me as the wife of a now M4 med student is becoming friends with the spouses of his med school friends. As much as you try to schedule time together or do your best give him space, it is inevitable that you will need a place to vent (and ideally not to him!). One thing you might want to check out is if the med school has a spouse/partner support group. Or, check out your local American Medical Association Alliance group. Give yourself a place where you can express concerns and smile about the process. Realize that your husband may not always be the best person to speak with about this. He will never fully understand where you're coming from, just as you'll never fully understand the unique stresses on him. Good luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am the husband of a PGY2 surgical resident. Let me say that medical school is a cakewalk compared to the PGY residency years. Now before that freaks you out....the good news. During the 4 years of med school, you learn how to accept, deal, and help. Here is what I did and what I learned in the first 4 years of her career that saved my marriage...literally. I learned to be; 1) self sufficient-She needed her space...badly. No loud and distracting TV where she was studying. My option was either having her at school studying all night or at home. I chose to turn off the TV and read a book myself to maximize our time even if she was face down in a book most of the time. I also learned the joys of video games and medical text books..which leads into 2) get involved. If you really want to support a med student/ resident, take an interest in the stuff they study and do. I never gave medicine a second thought past a physical...then I thumbed through her Surgical Anatomy book during her 2nd year and WOW. I started to read articles in JAMA and JACS and when I didn't understand something I would ask her over dinner. She got a charge out of me taking an interest in her job and I loved chatting with her about stuff even if I didn't totally understand it. That also lead to her asking me to help her study, make note cards, quiz her etc....you can maximize you time together simply by taking an interest and that way she/ he can come to you when they need a quizzer or someone to help them organize instead of going to another med student. 3) pack a lunch-seriously. I was the world's worst cook aside from a frozen pizza but by the MSIII year, I was a regular Emeril. My wife always tells me that she would starve without me. I work full time so it wasn't easy but again...it is not just their investment, it is yours too despite what people say. I would (and still do) wake up before her, make her coffee and an English muffin; pack her lunch with a sandwich I made the night before; and that night I would toss some chicken in the oven, steaks on the grill, or a Lean Cuisine in the microwave and we would spend the next 30 mins to an hour catching up on our days. 4) now this is the big one....learn that they are not helpless children that you must wait hand and foot on. :) When you start doing things to help, sometimes that can be taken advantage of and it can become expected times 20. When they moan and whine, support them first then, if it continues, remind them this was their choice and you are just along for the ride and that just because they have MSXX or MD after their name doesn't make them or their problems or feelings any better, worse, or more important then yours:D I would say that all the time and while my wife knew I was being a jerk, it gave her a reality check that while she is reading, sleeping, cutting fat off a cadaver, taking tests, rotating, etc...I was taking care of the dogs, cooking, cleaning, and keeping our family at bay when they called to complain about her not speaking to them for weeks. 5) meet the others-if your spouse/ significant other gets into it and has time, go along with then when MSI-IV interview prospective students. My wife became the interview coordinator in her 3rd year and she would have to set up the meet and greets after the interviews were over and the shing-dig the night before. I went to every one. This gave me the chance to meet the other students she went to school with but it also was a chance to meet other spouses of current med students AND spouses that came on the interview trail. I also made it a point to go to every social function she attended. I met her professors, program directors, etc and that was really cool. It brought us closer because it became a mutual interest even though I wouldn't be an MD if you paid me (too stressful).
But finally and most importantly....listen to them when they talk (make them listen to you too!) and understand that, depending on what field they opt to go into, it might not get easier for a long time. You will fight, yell, and wonder why the hell you bother doing things when your MS or MD spouse dosen't seen to care. You might even, after 4 years, suddenly have to move far away from family, friends, familiarity to a strange city when they graduate and start residency (we did) and that might be a hell of a pill to swallow. But...if you love that person and you are in it for the long haul, it will be OK because they will be there and sometime that is all that matters.
I hope my experience is translatable to you. If not..maybe some of it will help. Either way...patience, love, friends, a hobby or two, and each other ..that's all you need!
Good Luck!

MDHub: that post seriously brought a tear to my eye.

if every woman MD could just have a man like you by her side...oh what a wonderous life it would be.

ur girl is the luckiest girl alive.

god bless you.

Thank you for the very kind words lil. I really appreciate it and I will pass the quote on to my wife...(so hopefully she will give me a day off!!:laugh:)

if every woman MD could just have a man like you by her side...oh what a wonderous life it would be.

god bless you.
I second this ... its fantastic that you are so supportive of your wife. I'm not half the wife to my husband :laugh:

:oops: I know you're probably lurking out there sweetie! I still :love: you though!!!!

I am the husband of a PGY2 surgical resident. Let me say that medical school is a cakewalk compared to the PGY residency years. Now before that freaks you out....the good news. During the 4 years of med school, you learn how to accept, deal, and help. Here is what I did and what I learned in the first 4 years of her career that saved my marriage...literally. I learned to be; 1) self sufficient-She needed her space...badly. No loud and distracting TV where she was studying. My option was either having her at school studying all night or at home. I chose to turn off the TV and read a book myself to maximize our time even if she was face down in a book most of the time. I also learned the joys of video games and medical text books..which leads into 2) get involved. If you really want to support a med student/ resident, take an interest in the stuff they study and do. I never gave medicine a second thought past a physical...then I thumbed through her Surgical Anatomy book during her 2nd year and WOW. I started to read articles in JAMA and JACS and when I didn't understand something I would ask her over dinner. She got a charge out of me taking an interest in her job and I loved chatting with her about stuff even if I didn't totally understand it. That also lead to her asking me to help her study, make note cards, quiz her etc....you can maximize you time together simply by taking an interest and that way she/ he can come to you when they need a quizzer or someone to help them organize instead of going to another med student. 3) pack a lunch-seriously. I was the world's worst cook aside from a frozen pizza but by the MSIII year, I was a regular Emeril. My wife always tells me that she would starve without me. I work full time so it wasn't easy but again...it is not just their investment, it is yours too despite what people say. I would (and still do) wake up before her, make her coffee and an English muffin; pack her lunch with a sandwich I made the night before; and that night I would toss some chicken in the oven, steaks on the grill, or a Lean Cuisine in the microwave and we would spend the next 30 mins to an hour catching up on our days. 4) now this is the big one....learn that they are not helpless children that you must wait hand and foot on. :) When you start doing things to help, sometimes that can be taken advantage of and it can become expected times 20. When they moan and whine, support them first then, if it continues, remind them this was their choice and you are just along for the ride and that just because they have MSXX or MD after their name doesn't make them or their problems or feelings any better, worse, or more important then yours:D I would say that all the time and while my wife knew I was being a jerk, it gave her a reality check that while she is reading, sleeping, cutting fat off a cadaver, taking tests, rotating, etc...I was taking care of the dogs, cooking, cleaning, and keeping our family at bay when they called to complain about her not speaking to them for weeks. 5) meet the others-if your spouse/ significant other gets into it and has time, go along with then when MSI-IV interview prospective students. My wife became the interview coordinator in her 3rd year and she would have to set up the meet and greets after the interviews were over and the shing-dig the night before. I went to every one. This gave me the chance to meet the other students she went to school with but it also was a chance to meet other spouses of current med students AND spouses that came on the interview trail. I also made it a point to go to every social function she attended. I met her professors, program directors, etc and that was really cool. It brought us closer because it became a mutual interest even though I wouldn't be an MD if you paid me (too stressful).
But finally and most importantly....listen to them when they talk (make them listen to you too!) and understand that, depending on what field they opt to go into, it might not get easier for a long time. You will fight, yell, and wonder why the hell you bother doing things when your MS or MD spouse dosen't seen to care. You might even, after 4 years, suddenly have to move far away from family, friends, familiarity to a strange city when they graduate and start residency (we did) and that might be a hell of a pill to swallow. But...if you love that person and you are in it for the long haul, it will be OK because they will be there and sometime that is all that matters.
I hope my experience is translatable to you. If not..maybe some of it will help. Either way...patience, love, friends, a hobby or two, and each other ..that's all you need!
Good Luck!

wow i am a terrible husband, lol
you rule man - thanks for giving guys a good rep -- i'm seriously going to try to emulate you... i wonder if you grasp the significance of the tremendous amt of quality-of-life points you add to your wife every single day
wow. my wife is almost at your level of devotion. i need to give her a big hug, and i am getting her flowers first moment in the morning.

Thanks Camel. I sincerely appreciate the comments and the PM's I have received. Oddly enough though, I have actually taken a lot of heat from people that think I am a big wuss (without the W and adding the letter to the right of O). I was actually very surprised at the negative reactions from some people (not much from here yet). Even some in my own family and some friends wonder why I do what some consider "women's stuff". Aside from the blatant sexism which gives me a second of pause, I just laugh.
I know I am not the only guy that does this for their physician spouse and really....it doesn't matter if they are physician's or not. I get a tremendous amount peace from the fact that my wife leaves the house everyday and only has to worry about what happens in the hospital or studying for the Absite or whatever. Sure I am a little OCD about it but hey...that's what gets me through my day.....
What it boils down to, for me anyway is I stand in awe of how some Doctor's and Nurse's do what they do. The pressure, the stress, the politics, the massive loan debt, patient deaths, malignant colleagues, and everything else that goes on outside patient eyeshot. I know I would not have the patience or mental stability :) to do it. I have been to dinner with a group of Doctor's and heard them tell stories about patients that have had and then start getting choked up when describing how they tried to save them and couldn't or did and then went to the next patient or any litany of other situations some mundane and some amazing. Now imagine if that medical professional had to worry about coming home post call Q2 or Q3 and washing underwear....or cleaning the bathroom. Sure they are not helpless and would eventually adapt but for me, what I and others do is a means to an end. I get a lot of freedom, my wife gets to focus on her job and we both get to sit back and watch her kick ass doing what has been her dream since I met her. And back to the point of this thread...the seeds of all this were sown when she started medical school. I could never imagine that I could do for someone else when my wife started this journey. I was very self centered at the start.
Perhaps this is very melodramatic..and yeah, it probably is....but I know that I have met significant other of my wife's colleagues and they have told me stories, and visa versa, that have made me feel better or maybe even a tad validated and that is a good thing. And I think that really is the whole point here, people tell their stories and people read them and agree, disagree, laugh, or relate to it. You Doc's, nurse's and the spouses that post in the SDN forums know how hard it was to get wherever you are now and if these posts help others cool.....as long as none of it interferes with me washing bra's. :laugh:

Wow...I just read this post over and I got a little preachy and long winded...sorry!!

keep doing what you're doing, and keep confident in your dialy routine - don't let people's negativity affect you. i'm glad you appreciate your wife, and other medical professionals. i hope she appreciates you too.

My husband is a soon to be med student and is very motivated and devoted to getting excellent grades and doesnt let anything stop him..My question for everyone is, how do I support him, take care of him, when he is having so much trouble focusing on our relationship. I have noticed everytime he starts school he is so focused, I feel ignored or feel that I am just in the way. I know everyone says find something to do...hobby, etc. yet I dont want to live seperate lives and grow apart from him..I am scared to let go, I guess. I just dont know how to make all things work in sync. When we are together we are soul mates yet when school starts we have so much troubles balancing both aspects...anyone have any good ideas, or thoughts....? For the most part I feel I can handle him going to med school and being gone yet its hard to deal with feeling your not wanted, or a bother to that other person...I know he loves me and wants things to work yet ....I dont know what to do to make the stress less stressful and the problems..solutions..:confused:

I wouldn't throw in the towel, that would just be nuts... In all respect, he his doing this for your future! Let him study and do what he needs to do... He needs to do good.... There really isn't such a thing as balance during basic science... One lecture day is worse than others, and various subjects involve more or less studytime... Best thing you can do is wait for the weekends and go get dinner and a movie or something of that nature... Support him by making him dinner and house chores, etc... Med school won't last forever and look to the future when you and your husband will have your own house, stable careers, etc... If he gets harrassed it could throw him off and he could fail out... It wouldn't be worth flippin cheese burgers to pay back the loans....

god bless you.

Every woman MD? Try every woman, period!!!

mdhub2002 you are awesome!

I just want to say thanks for all the wicked positive comments I have gotten. Seriously. It means a lot. I feel a little bad I like I hijacked someone else thread and I didn't mean to but I really was amazed at the positive feedback and messages I have gotten. A few people that my wife went to med school with were even able to decipher who I was and called.

I hope the person that started this thread is well on their way to enjoying 4 years of Med Hell and then X years of residency with the one they love.

I do not take your situation lightly however you have to set what your priorities are? I do not care what anybody says but relationships are two way streak not just one. You are there for him for better and rough, but is he there for you when things get rough at your end. I am in a similar situation if not worst, but I have made my choices in that I stand firmly beside my man until I no longer can take it. It is not the right way to settle matters that aggravate you since dormancy of pain can cause some massive explosion at some point. I have talked to my boyfriend about my feelings but he does ignore them…or simply do not see them as serious as I perceive them. I get ignored all the time, not to mention that the passion has spiraled rapidly to a deep steep on his part for quite a while now. I have not changed mind you I am still the same person as I was when he first met me. I still adore him and get so insanely excited when I see him..however I no longer know how to approach him intimately; since I fear of being rejected. I understand the amount of pressure in which he is put under as a Chief resident and all, but I am afraid that he has neglected me for so long; which I know he does not even realise how much pain and tears I suffer from. Why do I stay with him? When he is in his best behaviour..he is an exceptional bloke.

I hope that the love that you both have for each other shall bind you with such strength and survive this trial..:(