How to get your PI to submit your papers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Treg

Surgeon in training
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Death threats? Blackmail?

Arg!

:)

Treg

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean by submit? I'm generally the one in charge of submitting my own papers in our own lab.

Dodohead said:
What do you mean by submit? I'm generally the one in charge of submitting my own papers in our own lab.

I mean to actually look at the manuscript, make a few changes, and sign off on its submission :thumbup:

My boss is ridiculously slow at doing this...

:)Treg

Members don't see this ad :)
OH, THAT kind of submit :rolleyes:

My adviser is hardly ever around, so I can understand the pain. Maybe a couple of death threats and some bomb scares might do the trick :) If not, there is always good ole', ole' fashioned bribery :p

Oh a (slightly) more serious note, have you tried nagging? Sometimes when I bring up a subject every time I see my adviser, I tend to keep it on his mind and it gets done a little faster.

Where are you submitting to?

I am submitting to Diabetes. I have nagged quite a bit. I even wrote a significant portion of a grant hoping that it would persuade him to return the favor with my manuscript. Sigh...

We have set a deadline, which is in a few weeks, so I will post what happens (if anything) when the time comes.

Treg

Nudge/annoy/ask your PI what progress they have made on your paper.......EVERY DAY. Start making daily goals for them, and let them know what they are. Sometimes students have to hold their PIs hand to get a paper out.

Second the "every day" part. More than that, even. Every time you see him/her. Eventually they'll submit the paper or their head will explode. Either way, very entertaining.

P

What's worse is when you do get your PI's revision back and you don't like it! :(

Primate said:
Second the "every day" part. More than that, even. Every time you see him/her. Eventually they'll submit the paper or their head will explode. Either way, very entertaining.

P
:laugh:

I third/fourth/fifth this idea. It works! :smuggrin: