Importance of non-PI science letters? Would appreciate any advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hatuey

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduating in May, and I've been working my tail off to secure strong science LORs. I didn't form close bonds with my professors earlier in undergrad, so a lot of my classes aren't viable options. I'm trying my best to secure a LOR from an upperdivision neuro professor this semester. I'm really interested in the subject matter and have asked good questions every class thus far. However, my professor doesn't hold weekly office hours, so my ability to get to know him is limited. I took another science course with him as well, but he's just never gotten the chance to know me personally. I talk to him after each class, which pretty much involves me asking genuine questions about the material and him giving me thoughtful responses. It doesn't go beyond that. I could schedule an office hours appointment with him, but it feels a bit superficial to do it for the sole purpose of "getting to know him" so he can write me a letter of recommendation. I say this because he seems like the kind of guy who doesn't like BS and cares more about us learning/asking good questions (which is more my speed). He's definitely not the kind of guy to put up with the premed gunners in my class (there are many, unfortunately). I'm not really sure how to navigate this situation though. I'm asking good questions, did very well on the first midterm, and am always engaged in class. Yet, it feels like I'm not doing enough. I'm worried that after all of this work, he's just going to say "find someone who knows you better". In a situation like mine, how can I get a letter that is more than "generic" ?

Just to give you guys a bigger picture; I've got 2 strong letters from my PIs, and 1 strong humanities letter. Desperately need 2 science letters. The professor I'm describing is one of my few options. I happen to really enjoy his class. I want to get to know him better, but I don't want to come across as bothersome/superficial for scheduling an office hours appointment just to "talk" to him. Any advice? How important are non-PI letters?

Members don't see this ad.

Successfully applied this cycle and cold-emailed a professor from 2016. I had taken his class my senior year and he read my thesis. He was totally fine with writing me a letter, but I made it super easy by giving him a “rough draft”, my CV, and application. The rough draft was something that he could sign with little to no edits. Professors are happy to help you apply to school; it’s part of their job. If you make the LOR easy for them, you can know it’s positive and get it back quickly.

Science LORs are required so schools know you can get through the MD curriculum. Don’t worry too much about making it sound spectacular if you have other letters where you will really shine.