How to dress at a conference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eklope2000

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am going to my first conference to do a poster presentation of my research, and I would like to know what would be appropriate for me to wear

Shirt and tie? Nice casual (polo and slacks)? T-shirt with my favorite metal band on it?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've always worn a suit. Sometimes I was overdressed, but that's OK.

Agreed. I've always worn a suit on days I was presenting. On the other days, I go with shirt & tie if it's probably an important day (like if there is a plenary speech by someone important or a special dinner). Otherwise, business casual seems fine. You'll probably see the full spectrum, though - some people dress up the whole time, and some never put on anything nicer than a polo shirt.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a medical conference that you'll be presenting at I assume?
And you're a medical student with an eye towards residency? or perhaps a pre-med with an eye towards med school?

In either case, there is only 1 answer. Formal business attire (e.g. a suit and tie for men). You will have the opportunity to meet people who might be able to help your career. You'll have more confidence meeting them when you look good. After you are the world's expert in something, you can show up in a t-shirt and shorts :)
Granted, some people wear whatever comes to mind, but since you are in some sense auditioning for your next job, dress the part. Just my opinion

Definately suit for the day you are presenting. Shirt and tie should be sufficient for the other days. No one really notices you anyway...

I presented this past weekend and wore a suit. I was probably the only medical student there so definitely a good idea to dress it up and look professional. Congrats and good luck!

-J

how about for a woman? suit as well?

CerealBox said:
I'd say yes, or the suit equivalent. Dressy, subdued and not flashy, only a hint of personality at the most, non-offensive, etc.

CerealBox said:

I don't think a suit is necessary. I usually wear business casual type stuff. Nice slacks, nice shirt or sweater, comfortable shoes.

It also depends on the type of conference. Medical society conferences tend to be more formal than basic science conferences. As a grad student I've been to conferences where people were in shorts and drinking beer at the poster sessions. Those were fun :)

Hurricane said:
I don't think a suit is necessary. I usually wear business casual type stuff. Nice slacks, nice shirt or sweater, comfortable shoes.
Of course you can wear whatever you want, but you can't go wrong wearing a suit (or the suit equivalent). I agree with what surg said:

surg said:
In either case, there is only 1 answer. Formal business attire (e.g. a suit and tie for men). You will have the opportunity to meet people who might be able to help your career. You'll have more confidence meeting them when you look good. After you are the world's expert in something, you can show up in a t-shirt and shorts
Granted, some people wear whatever comes to mind, but since you are in some sense auditioning for your next job, dress the part. Just my opinion

Adcadet said:
Of course you can wear whatever you want, but you can't go wrong wearing a suit (or the suit equivalent). I agree with what surg said:

True, you can't go wrong with a suit, but if you don't have one, there's no need to go out and drop a few hundred on one just to present a poster. That's all I'm sayin' :)

Take it from someone who has personally given more than 40 poster presentations and 100 oral presentations, and has had my name on twice as many...

Poster sessions are informal. The atmosphere at such venues is low pressure - they are designed to be that way. Go business casual. Wearing a suit and tie is dressing inappropriately for the occasion. You will be advertising how green you are.