Will my abstract be published if I don't attend the conference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nabin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have had an abstract accepted for a poster presentation at a national meeting. Their site specifically says 'All accepted abstracts will be published in the XYZ journal'. However, my chances of presenting this abstract are non-existent at this moment due to some personal and professional reasons. I will email the association and express my sincere apologies. Will they publish the article eventually in their journal?

Members don't see this ad.

If you aren't there to present it, you should either have another author present it or withdraw it. A submitted abstract that isn't presented usually won't be published.

Right, I understand that's usually the trend. What confused me was the quote in their website which says 'All accepted abstracts will eventually be published in their journal'. It also has me confused as to whether list it as an abstract accepted for poster presentation or accepted for publication into the peer-reviewed journal when I apply next week for residency, since they have specifically said that the accepted abstracts will be published in the journal. Just wanted to make sure that will be the case if I don't manage to arrange something for the presentation, and how I should enter the information into ERAS. Thank you for your help. Please excuse my amateur queries.

Yes, they say that just to notify you that accepted abstracts will be published in a journal. However, accepted abstracts that aren't presented usually will not be published in their journal. If you submitted an abstract, but no one is presenting it and it is to be withdrawn, you should not put it on an application. You really don't get credit for abstracts that are submitted but not presented. If you end up submitting an ERAS application with that abstract on it, and someone at your interview ask "So what conference did you present at? What kinda of questions or feedback did you get for your presentation?" and you didn't actually present it, well you can see how that would not look favorable.

Last edited: