How to become a teacher in a US medical school, as an International Medical College (IMG)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearded Men

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys. This is my first post here, Just to introduce myself to you all. I have completed my medical degree(MBBS) from Pakistan.
What I have found out about myself is that I love to teach, and I am obviously interested in medicine, so I am thinking along the lines of teaching in medical school. Obviously, not everyone ends up practicing medicine when they complete their medical degree.
So I would like to ask you guys if it is possible for an International Medical Graduate to pursue a career of teaching in a medical school in the US? I have searched on google but I havent been able to find a lot of information. If so, what is the route of doing so?

Members don't see this ad.

Might be best to reach out personally to people that have been in your situation that are now teaching in the US and ask them how they got where they are. But yes, it is very possible. Look at medical school faculty pages and see who's teaching with an MBBS. I'd say just send a polite email explaining yourself and what your goal is. Some may not have the time to give you a good answer but I'm sure others would be empathetic and give you a few pointers.

Here's one to start: Faculty Listings | CUSM

There are many schools out there with foreign graduates teaching though so take a look around.

EDIT: Dr. Yakub received his MD from Pakistan as well so he may be especially helpful (he's listed in the faculty list I linked)

Yea it’s possible, 2 routes I could think of

1) You could do a residency +\- fellowship in the US, preferably at an academic institution. Then you can be a faculty at a medical school we’re you do some component of Clinical work and some lectures/teaching in your disciple (for example we had a lot of our 1st year path lectures taught by aperson who went to Med school in Israel before doing residency here). You can also lead didactics and small group sessions.

2) you can come to the US and take an Admin or research job in a US med school and teach, but not practice clinically.

Route 2 would be easier and require fewer years of work, but will also come with lower pay.

Also for either track your English needs to be impeccable. Ive had a few lectures from people with ESL issues and it’s excruciating.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello guys. This is my first post here, Just to introduce myself to you all. I have completed my medical degree(MBBS) from Pakistan.
What I have found out about myself is that I love to teach, and I am obviously interested in medicine, so I am thinking along the lines of teachinygg in medical school. Obviously, not everyone ends up practicing medicine when they complete their medical degree.
So I would like to ask you guys if it is possible for an International Medical Graduate to pursue a career of teaching in a medical school in the US? I have searched on google but I havent been able to find a lot of information. If so, what is the route of doing so?
It's doable. Having teaching experience always helps

Reactions: 1 user
If you plan to practice medicine, the most reasonable route is to land a US residency +/- fellowship and enter academia. If you do not plan to practice medicine, you could just get a job at a US school, and start lecturing (i.e. pathology researcher teaching histo class).

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.