How often to classmates become roommates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eren.Yeager

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Incoming student looking into housing. I was wondering how often classmates can become roommates. I think it'd be cool to be able to split rent with someone.

Also, do any of you pay rent out of pocket or you used loans to cover it? I don't have much saved up tbh just something to be spending money over the next 4 years.

Members don't see this ad.

Incoming student looking into housing. I was wondering how often classmates can become roommates. I think it'd be cool to be able to split rent with someone.

Also, do any of you pay rent out of pocket or you used loans to cover it? I don't have much saved up tbh just something to be spending money over the next 4 years.
Most people have roommates at my school. Be careful, it can be a source of stress if you don’t choose a roommate wisely.

If you don’t have access to money, use loans.

Reactions: 1 user
Almost every med student living on loans here started out with a roommate. I'd say about half decided it wasn't worth it and decided to get a worse apartment at higher cost in order to live on their own starting 2nd year.

Different story for students who had everything paid for by parents or living with partner/spouse.

It's definitely worth it if the alternative is financial insecurity, just try your best to choose roommates wisely.

Reactions: 1 user

very often. Most schools will have some sort of communication for the class (facebook, group me, etc) and many students before M1 found roommates that way. Otherwise you will find friends during your M1 year and can decide to room with them from M2-M4.

Reactions: 1 users