How the heck do I shadow a PT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forestchick28

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OMG, where do I start? HELP! HELP!!

Members don't see this ad.

go to www.apta.org

Click Find a PT

Put in your zipcode

Get the contact info of the clinics close to you

Call or email the PT directly and tell them who you are, what you want to do (PT), and ask if you could come in and observe them

Go from there.

P.S.- Contact MANY clinics to better your odds, then narrow it down

Members don't see this ad :)
No problem.

This is what I did to get started and it landed me a volunteer/shadowing experience which eventually turned into a paid Aide/Technician job in this outpatient Orthopedic clinic.

Not yet. Just got accepted into the DPT program at the University of Colorado. I start on June 1st.

Hospitals provide both inpatient and outpatient shadow opportunities (most hospitals do) that give a variety of settings. Its almost a guarantee that you can shadow there.

In my case I "googled it" I searched a PT clinic, and found a great one! They specialize in Pediatrics and the lady in charge was really helpful. Once I started to observe I met this one PT who was super nice, she will explain what she was doing and gave me advice about school so I was with her all the time. I was super confused as well. You just have to jump in and email everybody! there will be some that may not replay or give out too little information, but others may give you all the information you need to start and who to contact. Good luck!

Hospitals provide both inpatient and outpatient shadow opportunities (most hospitals do) that give a variety of settings. Its almost a guarantee that you can shadow there.

I second this. Aside from have a personal contact, this is by far the easiest way. Why waste time trying a bunch of places when you can go to one place and be set up with multiple settings.

I would try the local hospitals in your area. Hospitals are always looking for volunteers and they should have both inpatient and outpatient as others have stated.

For my own volunteering, I did it at two different settings because one hospital was well known for outpatient and the other for inpatient, but I could have easily done out/inpatient at one location. I wanted the different settings and both hospitals operated very differently, so it was quite the experience. I eventually got a job as an aide at an outpatient clinic. They are always hiring aides to save money so that is another route you can go.

1. buy a paper or magazine
2. go to a hospital
3. wander around till you find a PT. You can spot them cause they are not quite as dorky as the MD's and they are often standing in close proximity to a walker, wheel chair or cane.
4. Follow the PT around and stand close but not too close as to be detected
5. Observe what the PT does
6. If anyone becomes suspicious pretend to be reading your magazine/paper
7. Repeat this activity for at least 40 hours.

Don't worry about the actual documentation of this time because in the end schools seem to only care about your GPA.

1. buy a paper or magazine
2. go to a hospital
3. wander around till you find a PT. You can spot them cause they are not quite as dorky as the MD's and they are often standing in close proximity to a walker, wheel chair or cane.
4. Follow the PT around and stand close but not too close as to be detected
5. Observe what the PT does
6. If anyone becomes suspicious pretend to be reading your magazine/paper
7. Repeat this activity for at least 40 hours.

Don't worry about the actual documentation of this time because in the end schools seem to only care about your GPA.

:laugh::laugh:
A disguise will help. Make sure to bring one those thick glasses, fake noses, and mustaches to make sure you aren't detected.