How should I begin?

Teneo

I ain't even mad.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, here's the deal. I'm a 16 year old high-schooler. I'm currently home schooled and doing a handful of community college classes, but I probably will be moving to another state after this summer and enrolling in a public high school as a Junior.

I already know the basics of what it takes to get into medical school: GPA 3.5 or above; at least a 30 on the MCAT; lots of clinical experience, volunteer hours, and ECs; and one year each Biology, Physics, Chemistry, and Organic Chemistry, etc.

I'm looking at going to Grand Valley State University and studying History, but I'm considering other fields such as Philosophy and Political Science. (I have read that it's best to study something that you're passionate about, and all three of these are fields that I enjoy.)

These are my recent ACT scores:
Composite: 28
English: 34
Reading: 33
Science: 27
Math: 19 :laugh: (I didn't study at all for any part of this, and since math has always been my weak point, I'm not surprised by that 19.)

I'll probably re-take the ACT at some point so that I can raise my Math score.

Anyways, here's my main question: If I plan on trying to go to med school, what sort of things should I do now, while I'm still a high schooler, to get a head start? I don't have a tremendous amount of volunteer hours yet(maybe about 60 or so from helping with things at church) and I've been a summer camp counselor for the past 2 years, but that's about it.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Any kind of volunteering you do in high school won't be helpful for your application - AMCAS asks about stuff since high school. (That doesn't mean its not good to volunteer...) I would probably get some kind of training that can help you get a job in a healthcare field during college. Possibly take an EMT or phlebotomy course and get some experience. Besides that just get good grades and don't work too hard. You have plenty of time to work to death in college. I personally took three classes my senior year of high school, no AP credit, and did work release at a totally unrelated job. I am now accepted to a med school and have no regrets! Have fun while you can.

They only count things after high school? That's bothersome...ah, well. I'll figure something out. I do plan on going for an EMT-B after I turn 18, though, and I'm sure that'll help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check out the Hsdn forum and read the stickies there (the posts at the very top), that should provide you with lots of information.

The above poster is correct, Adcoms value nothing you do in highschool. However if you were to start some kind of unique extracurricular and carry on with it through college that could make you stand apart.

But by and large anything you do in high school wont matter.

I would suggest you to work on your math. Many medical schools require one semester of Calculus. Start doing some easy practice problems. :)

I would suggest you to work on your math. Many medical schools require one semester of Calculus. Start doing some easy practice problems. :)

I was hoping to just sneak by with College Algebra and Statistics. :ninja:

I would find a clinic or a hospital and start volunteering, who knows? After two hours in the place you may come out saying:

"Man, what was I thinking! that wasn't at all what I expected! Whats next on my list? "

Or even better:

"Right on, this could be fun!"

Just do something that will get you some experience into medical field.:laugh:

I would find a clinic or a hospital and start volunteering, who knows? After two hours in the place you may come out saying:

"Man, what was I thinking! that wasn't at all what I expected! Whats next on my list? "

Or even better:

"Right on, this could be fun!"

Just do something that will get you some experience into medical field.:laugh:

I am planning to do that, because I don't want to be so pretentious as to think that I am absolutely sure of my calling with so little experience. :laugh:

I am fully open to the possibility that I'd hate medicine, but for now, I definitely think that it's just right for me. I had spent a long time contemplating various possibilities: I've thought about being a clinical psychologist, a high school teacher, a college professor, a UN diplomat, a nurse, etc...I considered all these things because they seemed like reasonably good careers for me; things that I could probably succeed in and have a decent time doing.

When the idea of being a physician first jumped into my head, though, that little light bulb went on. :idea: It made such perfect sense that I wondered why I hadn't thought of it years ago. So here I am, trying to acquire as much knowledge about the profession as I can, with which I can determine whether or not that little light bulb went on with good reason. :)

Anyways, here's my main question: If I plan on trying to go to med school, what sort of things should I do now, while I'm still a high schooler, to get a head start?
Have some fun.

Don't do anything right now because you think it will help you get into medical school. Relax, enjoy high school, and hang out with your friends. JMO.