Time until work begins.

Doc Manic

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I know that typically it'll take about 4 years of grad, 4 years of med school, and then 4 or more years of residency until you're finally licensed, but what I'm wondering, specifically for being a surgeon, is how long does it usually take after residency for a surgeon to ACTUALLY find work, start performing surgery, and things like that.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, if you find a position and get licensed in your new state before you graduate residency/fellowship, or stay in the same state you trained, then you could start right away, as soon as you completed any mandatory institutional onboarding. Of course, I don't know who you're going to operate on electively if you've never met any of your new patients, but I suppose in theory you could be a trauma surgeon who took your first shift right after you did your HR training and got your badge printed. Most people take time to move, settle in, and whatnot. Some people set it up to travel a little and start later. Really depends on the situation, and how much you need to make money and they need a warm body.

Reactions: 1 users
Most people start looking for a job during residency and/or fellowship so they can start right away after graduation. Of course if you have the financial wherewithal you can take time off and not start immediately if you prefer.

But as noted above, once you have operative privileges and either have a cash paying patient or are on insurance plans you can start immediately. The thing that takes the longest is getting credentialed by the hospital. Hospital credentialing can be a bear; it took me about four months before I was approved and ready to operate.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user