Advice: Starting from the beginning.

jplloyddd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 26 years old and am going to pursue a path of medicine. I graduated High school in 2005 and have had little schooling since then, (ARC, Heald, etc), but have mainly worked since I was 18. Practicing medicine has always been a dream of mine, but never thought I had what was required to do so. I now understand, (and am whiling), to dedicate the next 13 or more years to this cause.

I volunteer at a local Hospital in Yolo County, CA and for a fire department, (Capay Valley.) I finished EMT-B school back in March and have my state license. I start a CNA school on Aug 17 to try and get more exposure to patient care. I am simply looking for advice.

The problem I am having is that I am not sure what would be best for me to major in for my undergraduate studies. I have considered pursuing a BSN degree, but from what I have researched there is not much of a strong science background in that particular major that would benefit me in medical school. I have also considered applying for an AS degree in Nursing to test for the NCLEX-RN. Then pick an undergraduate degree in something science related. This way I can gain experience working in a hospital, understanding the dynamics of healthcare, and working with Dr’s to hopefully gain some knowledge. I am going to do whatever it takes to achieve my goals, but not very sure what to focus on at this very moment at community college.

• Would having a nursing background hinder my ability to ultimately become an Anesthesiologist, or is focusing on my Overall GPA, Science GPA, and MCAT really what I need to concern myself with?

• Is there another job I could pursue while working on school that might benefit me more than being a RN, (Scribe, MT, LVN, etc.)

• Could you tell me what you did to get to where you are now, and how long it’s taken you? (College Degree, Medical School you attended, Residency program for Anesthesia unless you choose another specialty)

• Any advice would be much appreciated especially Bachelor degree majors that could benefit me in the long run.

Members don't see this ad.

You can major in anything to go to medical school, and I'm pretty sure to think you'd need a bachelors degree to apply to most medical schools.

I don't think having a nursing background would hinder your ability, and you can work anywhere. I think it's hard to say which would benefit you more though; personally I wouldn't put in work to become an RN just to become a doctor.

This is the high school section of SDN, but there's other subforums you could post in for more help.

Yeah I'd re-post this in the Pre-Allo forum or the Non-trad forum.

Most people on here say that going for a BSN is a bad idea if you want to go to medial school, but I'm sure it can and has been done before. I'm not gonna pretend like I'm an expert on this though, someone else can help you more.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can major in anything to go to medical school, and I'm pretty sure to think you'd need a bachelors degree to apply to most medical schools.

I don't think having a nursing background would hinder your ability, and you can work anywhere. I think it's hard to say which would benefit you more though; personally I wouldn't put in work to become an RN just to become a doctor.

This is the high school section of SDN, but there's other subforums you could post in for more help.

Yeah thats true. Thank you for the advice.

Yeah I'd re-post this in the Pre-Allo forum or the Non-trad forum.

Most people on here say that going for a BSN is a bad idea if you want to go to medial school, but I'm sure it can and has been done before. I'm not gonna pretend like I'm an expert on this though, someone else can help you more.

Reposted it in the pre allo. Thank you. In reguards to the BSN thats what I've read all over this fourm as well.