How prepared am i?

amd123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 1790 Sat with 580 Crit Reading/640 Math/570 Writing. I've been doing some SAT Studying and have gotten up i think 1890. I have a 86.88907 (unweighted GPA) and 88.576 (weighted) and my rank is 131 out of 432. I've only been doing FBLA as an extra curricular activity. This summer I will take a summer job and do volunteering. I'm also doing some blood donation this month ( can i put this on my college app)? What are some things you guys recommend doing senior year for extra curricular activities? I do lifting but our school doesn't have a lifting club or anything and I'm not the strongest guy either lol. I'm thinking of playing lacrosse/tennis next year.

What are my chances of getting accepted into 4 year universities like Penn State/Pittsburgh University/Gettysburg University/NYU/Johns Hopkins?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have a 1790 Sat with 580 Crit Reading/640 Math/570 Writing. I've been doing some SAT Studying and have gotten up i think 1890. I have a 86.88907 (unweighted GPA) and 88.576 (weighted) and my rank is 131 out of 432. I've only been doing FBLA as an extra curricular activity. This summer I will take a summer job and do volunteering. I'm also doing some blood donation this month ( can i put this on my college app)? What are some things you guys recommend doing senior year for extra curricular activities? I do lifting but our school doesn't have a lifting club or anything and I'm not the strongest guy either lol. I'm thinking of playing lacrosse/tennis next year.

What are my chances of getting accepted into 4 year universities like Penn State/Pittsburgh University/Gettysburg University/NYU/Johns Hopkins?

Penn state-Maybe
Pitt-Maybe
Gettysburg-Very good
NYU/Hopkins-Long shot

why are my chances low for Penn/Pitt? I've seen people with 1400 sats get in with 80 gpas >_> taking all low level courses

Members don't see this ad :)

If your dad is Barack Obama, then "Yes, we can." But if you dad is not Barack Obama, honestly, Hopkins will be a long shot for you.

Good luck though.

I am the strongest guy of the world but I still play Tennis. :D Tennis is a good sport and try it out ! ! ! !

I never said they were low. They are average. The only long shot schools are NYU and Hopkins. Who knows, I know people with stats like yours who have gotten into NYU. I would drop Hopkins unless you plan to transfer.

I mean, do you have any leadership experience or anything? I'm not saying your not qualified, I am just saying that you will need to improve your stats if you want to have a GOOD shot at those kind of schools.

You should get into Penn St. Pitt and Gettysburg. All great schools. I know a doc who went to Gettysburg for UG.

You are doing fine dude, just chill and improve that SAT score.

why are my chances low for Penn/Pitt? I've seen people with 1400 sats get in with 80 gpas >_> taking all low level courses
Nobody said they were low. But people with 1400 SAT's and 80 GPA's shouldn't bank on getting into Penn STATE or Pitt. That isn't the norm.

Fyi, "Penn" usually refers to the University of Pennsylvania... and before you ask, yes your chances of getting in there are low.

Nobody said they were low. But people with 1400 SAT's and 80 GPA's shouldn't bank on getting into Penn STATE or Pitt. That isn't the norm.

Fyi, "Penn" usually refers to the University of Pennsylvania... and before you ask, yes your chances of getting in there are low.

I thought that too when I read that. Penn is pretty much my dream school after visiting my brother there.

To be frank with the OP, I would say your chances at JHU are pretty much nil. In order to go to those schools for undergrad, you really need to have close to perfect numbers and outstanding extra currics.

If you can get your SATs near 2000, then you probably have a good chance at all the schools besides NYU/Hopkins.

You also have to realize its luck...and that you will have a better shot at NYU than you will at Hopkins, because Hopkins is harder to get into. You just have to apply broadly to similar schools and hope to get into one. Thats kind of how it works.

Honestly, don't even worry about it. JHU and NYU are extremely expensive. It isn't worth paying that much money for college.

Honestly, don't even worry about it. JHU and NYU are extremely expensive. It isn't worth paying that much money for college.

I agree that the OP should not worry, but i disagree with the latter part. It depends which college, and varys from person to person. I would dish out the cash for JHU...but i would not dish out the same amount for some dumb private school in my neighborhood.

I forgot to answer one thing, the blood drive you can put it down, but its kind of useless i think. Unless your an active donor. I put down on my resume that i was staff for the Blood Drive, because i was apart of Student Government and we helped set up and conduct the blood drive at our HS.