How old do you have to be to get an EMT-B certification or a CNA certification?

Future Doc1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to get these two certifications or at least one of them but I am not sure if there is any kind of age limit for either of them. I'm under 18 so I don't know if I can get them or I'm pretty sure I can't get the EMT-B one because that one sounds sort of like something I would need to be older for

Members don't see this ad.

It varies by states. Contact your local authority for more information. Also, Google should be your best friend.

Members don't see this ad :)
I finished a CNA course, but I won't be certified: lol. In my state you can take the exam 2 years within taking the course. So I will take the exam relatively soon (when I turn 18).

Most states require you to be 18 to enroll in the EMT class, or be 18 by the 3rd week of the course. There are however, several states that allow you to enroll in at 16; Pennsylvania, North Dakota, and New Jersey are the ones I know about. You can go to one of the above states to take the course, and the exam at the end; however, it won't do you any good in your state. 43 states go off the NREMT (National Registry Emergency Medical Technician) exam for certification, which requires you to be 18 to take the test. So you can go to Penn. take the course, and become cert. in Penn state as a EMT-B, but when you go back to your state, you wouldn't be allowed to do .... anything with it.

Your best bet is to just wait until your 18, and take it in your state.