What medical certifications can I get in high school?

GeicoLizard

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a sophomore in High School and I was wondering what certifications I could get in the medical field while in High School. I know that I can take the CNA Exam when I turn 16 1/2, but what other certificates could I get? Is it possible for me to also become a certified pharmacy technician or a certified patient care technician while in High School?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a sophomore in High School and I was wondering what certifications I could get in the medical field while in High School. I know that I can take the CNA Exam when I turn 16 1/2, but what other certificates could I get? Is it possible for me to also become a certified pharmacy technician or a certified patient care technician while in High School?
Most hospitals require a "Certified Patient Care Technician", their EMT or CNA depending on the hospital and state... I highly recommend getting your EMT (emergency medical technician) Basic. It's a job you can certainly be proud of and I am deciding to make a career out of it. You can also shadow local EMT's to see if you like. CNA, EMT, Fire I (fire I) is if there is any chance you want to go the first responder route, I wish I would have done my Fire I and EMT-B when in high school.

Yes, I am 16 and am a CNA. I am getting my EMT-B in 2 weeks. Go for it! Good luck :D

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I am 16 and am a CNA. I am getting my EMT-B in 2 weeks. Go for it! Good luck :D
Tell him how awesome EMT is... I still remember my first scenario where I cranked a tourniquet on him so hard I left an imprint/bruise on his arm for the next two weeks... He had an "amputated arm", at least I did it tight enough, I definitely couldn't feel a pulse.

In my state you have to be 17 to become certified as an EMT. Many classes also require you to be 18.

Do you know if i can get an EMT-B at the same age because I live in California and all the websites that I've been on say that you have to be 18 years of age in order to qualify to take the exam. Is it the same in the state you live in or did you find a way to take it at 16?

@GeicoLizard My state qualifications say that I can take the course and the national registry exam at 16. I still need a parental consent form for the course. I will need to retake the national registry exam again at 18.

Look at your state's Department Of Health website, that is the most reliable source.

I live in South Florida, and I did a technical dual enrollment at a technical college down the street from my high school. At the college, they had medical assisting, optometric assisting, dental assisting, LPN, and pharmacy tech. I spent half the day at my normal high school and went to the college the other half of the day for 2 years. So, when I graduated high school, I also got my certification and I can work at an optometry clinic. Also, all the time I did shadowing helped when I applied to college and optometry school. So, check around the area and see if there's one like that for you ☺️