EMT-B Course questions

CrazyboyMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys know if you need to have a drivers license for the course?

Since I am only a junior, will it be awkward if I am the youngest one in the course?

Members don't see this ad.

You need to be 18 usually and yes you need a license.

Someone has to be the youngest one in the course! Medicine is full of would-be awkward situations (way, way more awkward than being self-conscious about your age) that eventually you will have to get over, so might as well start working on that now.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You need a driver's license to be an EMT. At most courses, you can start if you are not 18 as long as you are 18 prior to taking the certification exams. The same may also be true of your driver's license. I would call specific programs to verify this before signing up for one.

Also, just keep in mind that as companies will check your driving record before they hire you. Be careful about things like speeding tickets - they can cost you a job as an EMT even if obtained off-duty or prior to starting.

I know a local high school that does it. I would go about emailing the course instructor, I had one when I did mine. Each different program will have specific requirements. I started my EMT program at 17 and had graduated after the fact I was 18 from the course.

I also was the youngest one in my course with one of the oldest being 38 at a community college. It felt weird, but I graduated and we were all in it for good reasons.

Not true. Don't need drivers license to get EMT cert. this will be, however, required to find an EMT job. And don't worry about what your classmates think... esp in an EMT course

@Medic741 Thank you, your simple statement actually made me feel a lot better. Oh yeah, my state's requirement to enroll in an EMT Course is 16.

Reactions: 1 user
@Medic741 Thank you, your simple statement actually made me feel a lot better. Oh yeah, my state's requirement to enroll in an EMT Course is 16.
Anytime. As someone who spent a while in the field as a paramedic & EMT, don't let anyone belittle what you're doing//setting out for. Be proud of taking this step... it will put you in touch with a population that didn't go to college, and makes $12/hr in their mid thirties. Will definitely be some resentment, but don't let that bother you if you decide to take this step.

Cause you're gonna be a doc, right? Better get used to the **** the world can throw at you now ;)

I'm about to start my EMT class in a week as an 18 year old. Like the others have said, learn not to take crap from the other students; prove them wrong.