How much is each medical school receptive to MS1's failing a course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDNer

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious how much each medical school is receptive to one of their students failing a basic science course. Please list your school and the general policy (i.e. summer remedial course, retake exams, summer "project" w/o taking course over, etc) and possibly how many students failing. i'm curious how the policies are. i think it'd be helpful to know ahead of time so that you aren't shocked once u get there.

Members don't see this ad.

at case western, they have a cumulative exam at the end of the first year- if you don't pass it, you have to take the entire first year over again.

Members don't see this ad :)
at Northwestern, you fail if you get 2 SD below the mean. Usually around 2-3% of the class fails. so in a class of 170 or so there are about 4-5 who don't pass. you have to make up a test during your first summer, and you have to pass at least with a 1.5 or better below the mean. so they set the cut off a tad higher. if you strike out on this one, you are sent back to Go, you do not collect 200$.

if you fail more than 2 tests, you automatically have to repeat, and you don't get a chance to make them up in the summer.
If you do pass your remedial test in the summer, it isn't even noted on your dean's letter. i think that's a bit lenient, but whatever, i don't care.

supposedly, they usually have a person who you talk to. mostly to screen for depression.

you'll be surprised by who will get held back a year. often times it's the people you last expect it. i was almost shocked at who got held back in my class. several of the people were quite out, high-profile people. one was MSTP, and VERY outspoken.

anyways, you'll see for yourself.

in general, it's hard to pass. think of it this way...there GOT to be at least 5 other people, more stupid/sloth then me.

Originally posted by nuclearrabbit77
at Northwestern, you fail if you get 2 SD below the mean. Usually around 2-3% of the class fails. so in a class of 170 or so there are about 4-5 who don't pass. you have to make up a test during your first summer, and you have to pass at least with a 1.5 or better below the mean. so they set the cut off a tad higher. if you strike out on this one, you are sent back to Go, you do not collect 200$.

if you fail more than 2 tests, you automatically have to repeat, and you don't get a chance to make them up in the summer.
If you do pass your remedial test in the summer, it isn't even noted on your dean's letter. i think that's a bit lenient, but whatever, i don't care.

supposedly, they usually have a person who you talk to. mostly to screen for depression.

you'll be surprised by who will get held back a year. often times it's the people you last expect it. i was almost shocked at who got held back in my class. several of the people were quite out, high-profile people. one was MSTP, and VERY outspoken.

anyways, you'll see for yourself.

in general, it's hard to pass. think of it this way...there GOT to be at least 5 other people, more stupid/sloth then me.

wow..this seems like a pretty generous policy. so you only have to retake the test(s) given by Northwestern during the summer if you failed 2+ during the year? this would be an awesome place to be....

Originally posted by SDNer
i think it'd be helpful to know ahead of time so that you aren't shocked once u get there.
this is actually a very good idea! one i never thought i would have to worry about, but now i am worrying about it.

at unc, they push the '5 year plan' on anyone who fails a class.if you fail a small class,you can take it during the summer. if you fail anatomy or biochem, you're really supposed to repeat them the next year. some other options are actually out there, but they certainly don't make anything else known to you very easily.

no, i meant that you have to repeat the first year again, if you fail more than two tests. you do not get the opportunity to even try to make up the tests. for example, if you end up failing two tests...you got to make them both up in the summer. if you fail three tests or more, you automatically have to repeat first year so you may as well go travel or take a seat at the bar.