How much of a disadvantage is clinical training at a regional campus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hkb128

Reaction score
I made a post on Help Me Decide but didn't get any responses, presumably because no one knows anything about the GW Regional Medical Campus lol. But I am desperate for advice because I need to make a decision ASAP so I can enroll my kid in daycare etc.

I was accepted to both the George Washington Regional Medical Campus and Tulane. I prefer GW in pretty much every way, but especially because I have a spouse and child and really don't want to drag them to New Orleans. (I am not a fan of the gulf coast; terrible weather and infrastructure, and the daycare situation is looking iffy.) I would much prefer to be in the DC/Baltimore region long term. But my big fear is that the RMC is not yet well established, and I'm afraid it could negatively impact my competitiveness for the match. Does anyone have any insight on how much of a disadvantage training at a small regional campus / community hospital would be when trying to match to a competitive specialty? I worry that my LORs and research opportunities would be of poorer quality compared to main campus students.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
boosting this because i think i’m going to take my chances with the regional campus at GW, but i really want someone to tell me if i’m making a huge mistake 😭. i just desperately don’t want to live in NO. i have family there so i know it sucks, and climate change is only making it worse. if the location were different i’d pick Tulane for the security of a well-established program :/

Your residency match success is very dependent on your own effort. You need to find mentors and research opportunities from Day 1 to ensure you have adequate publications, etc. Similarly, your clinical grades and Step 2 scores are dependent on your effort not your school’s location. Go to GW!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Several schools have regional campuses. They are well run and they must meet the same standards as all med schools. Go to GW.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I worry that my LORs and research opportunities would be of poorer quality compared to main campus students.
Believe it or not, faculty who care about mentoring students can be found at less well known campuses. Just because you're not at Harvard doesn't mean you can't make good connections with faculty that result in good letters. It sounds like GW is the right choice for you and your family even if you might have to put in some extra work to find research opportunities. Sometimes you gotta make the best of what you have, and that can still be pretty darn good. Best of luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Not an easy decision. Your concern is understandable. If the preference is in favor of GW, it may be worth weighing how much these advantages outweigh the potential disadvantages. It is also important to consider your personal and family circumstances. It may be worth doing more research about GW's regional medical campus and its reputation among alumni to make a more informed decision.
unfortunately the campus is brand new so the students there haven’t graduated yet. i have been able to speak with a couple of GW students who didn’t have anything negative to say about it, but i’m still hesitant to commit to something so new. i may end up picking GW for location and family reasons, but it does seem like a big risk.

thanks everyone for the input!

i may end up picking GW for location and family reasons, but it does seem like a big risk.
I looked up GW's risky new regional medical campus and it's Sinai Baltimore. A 158-year-old hospital with 483 beds and eight in-house GME programs, including ophtho and ortho.

You would spend 18 months in DC, then do your core clinical clerkships at Sinai, then plan some sub-I's, electives, and away rotations, and you're done.

This isn't even a decision.

Reactions: 1 users