How much do you expect to make?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
These money threads always crack me up. Some of you guys on here are realistic and will get close to what you describe. A lot will earn a lot less. Pretty much all of you will work more hours than what's being described here, at least early on. You will be expected to pay your dues in terms of holidays and call early on.

While I agree the medscape survey has flaws I think it's actually not a bad starting point in terms of what's realistic. Yes a lot of you will know people who earn more than the averages listed in there, but that's kind of the definition of an average-- some earn more. The guys who aren't telling you their salaries are earning less.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
It won't be a good investment if I make less than 275k/year working ~50... Why do I like psych?:( Clearly the money is not there!

Can premeds post here too? ;( What I'm hoping for some day 10 years in the future:

Area of medicine: Neurology/Pain
Region: Anywhere urban
Hours per week: 25
Expected salary: $125k

Is this doable?

Members don't see this ad :)
Area of medicine: FM or IM
Region: Alaska
Hours per week: 40
Expected salary: About tree fiddy

Reactions: 1 user
What the heck, what medical school is worth 400k+!!! Ill be ~200K, most likely less than that, (including med school, grad school, and undergrad) not including interest :depressed:

It won't be a good investment if I make less than 275k/year working ~50... Why do I like psych?:( Clearly the money is not there!

Do a pain fellowship and that should tack on at least an extra 50k per year (I am probably going to be trashed for saying this, because of the whole declining reimbursements in pain). Though, you may have uphill battle if psych is your speciality and you want to do a pain fellowship.

Can premeds post here too? ;( What I'm hoping for some day 10 years in the future:

Is this doable?
lol why 25 hrs? That's allot of free time

Area of medicine: Neurosurgery
Region: Anywhere
Hours per week: 77+(that's average worked in the last study I saw)
Expected salary: $400,000 to start, 600,000+ few years in (based on medscape numbers)

Expected salary: $400,000 to start, 600,000+ few years in (based on medscape numbers)

Doable, in private practice, particularly with some fellowship experience, which could be baked into residency if you plan well. Diversity of procedures does help, though, particularly in the face of uncertain Medicare reimbursements. Spine is still good right now, but if all you do is ACDFs and they slash it, you'll take a hit. You'd still be fine compared to 98% of the country, but you'd comparatively earn less.

lol why 25 hrs? That's allot of free time

Haha I have dreams of living frugally and using my income to fund starting a small business on the side. ><

But it sounds like it would be hard to find a position for only 25 hours a week.

$12M/yr, working 10hrs/wk

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I imagine big time drug dealers are extremely busy.
yeah he's gonna be pulling way more hours, specially towards the beginning when he's establishing himself....not to mention the large city saturation

Last edited:
Haha I have dreams of living frugally and using my income to fund starting a small business on the side. ><

But it sounds like it would be hard to find a position for only 25 hours a week.
Yeah that would certainly be something

As much as I love teeth and teeth money, how do we teeth people make nearly as much as neurosurgeons?! Something about this doesn't seem very fair...to you guys.

As much as I love teeth and teeth money, how do we teeth people make nearly as much as neurosurgeons?! Something about this doesn't seem very fair...to you guys.
I have no idea how much you make personally but the average dentist makes around 200k according to the ADA. If your an orthodontist that's another story.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/763550

Owning your own business and not having people skim off the top. Not wasting all day messing around with a useless emr. Doing procedures all day. Having patients that cannot take up all your time with small talk. Dentistry has its positives.

Owning your own business and not having people skim off the top. Not wasting all day messing around with a useless emr. Doing procedures all day. Having patients that cannot take up all your time with small talk. Dentistry has its positives.

Looking at it from this prospective, yes. However, the average newly-minted dentist makes 3x less than the average newly-minted neurosurgeon, and has more school loans.

Reactions: 1 users
What about neurosurgeons who own spine surgery center? Don't you think they make more money than dentists who have their own practice?
haha o so true. they make insane dough, the kind that if i state here people will be all "ooo no this isn't possible" (insert foaming at the mouth).

I will throw in some rough #s from MGMA for clinical practice, since people here like that kind of thing. 3-7 yrs into practice, median of upper 700s...7-11 yrs in, median of (yes I am not making this number up) about 1.1 million. These numbers show total compensation (ex. incl bonuses), and excludes academic/part-time/etc.. you get what I mean. This is not separating those who take on more risk by having a specialized spine center.

Some neurosurgeons i've seen use something called the NERVES survey when constructing contracts. Those numbers are similar to the above MGMA numbers. Heck, they work SO hard. They deserve all this and more!

Last edited:
My goal is to eventually not have to actively work but still be making numbers like the above. From outside smart investments like commercial real estate. Using income from my teeth business. Here's hoping!

No love for IM here?

Area of medicine: IM Subspecialty (Nephro, Cards, Pulm, Onc)
Region: South East
Hours per week: 60+ first few yrs; 40+ later
Expected salary: $250 +

Does this sound reasonable?

Is this doable?

If you're looking at general neuro, then not with those hours unless you find a nice private niche. If you did PM&R with a pain fellowship you might be able to pull it off. From what I've heard it's still a very lucrative field with a pretty solid lifestyle, but I need to do more research of my own on it still.

I'll give you actual numbers:

Area of medicine: Radiology
Region: Los Angeles
Hours per week: 38-40
Expected salary: $440K this year, $476 last.

For the idiot who said he is losing 40% of his money to the government, I paid $116k in fed, $44k in State, 8K for social security, $6k for medicare, and $2.5K for Obomacare. That total is 37%, but that is making a good amount and living in a high income tax state.

The year before my total % going to those things was 30%.

Reactions: 8 users

For the idiot who said he is losing 40% of his money to the government, I paid $116k in fed, $44k in State, 8K for social security, $6k for medicare, and $2.5K for Obomacare. That total is 37%, but that is making a good amount and living in a high income tax state.

How long have you been in practice? I feel like everything I hear about the Diagnostic rads job market is how F****ed it is. I.E., you can't get a job anywhere you would want. And if you do, it's for unexpectedly low pay.

Are these tax rates for a single person, or one with family?

Not an expert, but I look at job postings when I get sick of studying:

Area of medicine: IM
Region: Great Lakes, South
Hours per week: 70 -84 hours/week theoretically, but 7 days on, 7 days off
Expected salary: $200K-$250K

I recently got defriended on FB for trying to explain to someone how progressive taxation works. It's pretty amazing how few people realize how taxes work.

Also...

Take that, Georgetown admin!!!

Reactions: 4 users

Is it common to make that much doing teleradiology and how many studies do you read per shift?

Holy state tax! It's time to move!

Holy state tax! It's time to move!

Yeah, who wants to live in SoCal? He should totally move to South Dakota, or better yet, some place totally white trashtic like Florida.

Make no mistake, the state and/or local government will get their money one way or another. Some states have high property taxes (Texas) or sales tax (Washington) to offset the lack of income tax. Its best to look at all of the tax policies of a state and not just if they do or do not have an income tax.

Last edited:
Yeah, who wants to live in SoCal? He should totally move to South Dakota, or better yet, some place totally white trashtic like Florida.

Make no mistake, the state and/or local government will get their money one way or another. Some states have high property taxes (Texas) or sales tax (Washington) to offset the lack of income tax. Its best to look at all of the tax policies of a state and not just if they do or do not have an income tax.

Not sure why the hate on Florida. But it's not true that all states are equal in the end. The ones that have less ridiculous spending and corruption are going to take less of your money.

Yeah, who wants to live in SoCal? He should totally move to South Dakota, or better yet, some place totally white trashtic like NORTH Florida.

Fixed...

area of medicine: interventional radiology
region: pacific NW
hours: 50-70 hrs/ week
expected salary: $350-400K

70 hours a week after 6 years of post med school training for 350-400?

No gracias. That seems awfully low.

Reactions: 2 users
Area of medicine: Psychiatry
Region: Midwest
Hours:50-60
$:250-300k

70 hours a week after 6 years of post med school training for 350-400?

No gracias. That seems awfully low.

not really an unusual number. people are gonna low-ball their hours in these types of deals anyway.

Are you applying directly to the new categorical IR residencies?

Area of medicine: Ortho
Region: Midwest
Hours: 70+
Expected salary: 400-600k depending on how Midwest-y of a place I end up.