USMLE How much $$$ do i have to save, for the USMLE and ERAS process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gabopm18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much $$$ do i have to save, for the USMLE and ERAS process. In two years i am gonna be taking the test. Is kaplan the best option? and where is the best location for preparation?

Members don't see this ad.

OP, you shouldn't be worrying about such things at this point. When the time comes, your school will give you information about allotting/budgeting financial aid for the test prep material, exam fees, application fees and travel expenses that you will need for the Step exams and the application process. For now, as the previous poster said, you should be spending this time enjoying one of your last few moments of extended freedom. Good luck, and I hope this helps! M.D. author/editor with BoardVitals

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree it is too soon for the OP to worry about boards and ERAS. However it is also something I have been wondering (current M2).

I don't want to worry about residency applications yet, but I am curious about the cost of USMLE step 1. So far I have spent around $250 on prep materials (USMLE-Rx, Pathoma) and I plan to also purchase 2016 First Aid as well as UWorld. How much does it cost to register for the Step 1?

its not too early to worry about the finances of this, but don't worry about preparing for any of it right now. focus on classes. I like the approx 10k number cited above.

I agree it is too soon for the OP to worry about boards and ERAS. However it is also something I have been wondering (current M2).

I don't want to worry about residency applications yet, but I am curious about the cost of USMLE step 1. So far I have spent around $250 on prep materials (USMLE-Rx, Pathoma) and I plan to also purchase 2016 First Aid as well as UWorld. How much does it cost to register for the Step 1?

600$