Starting afresh for USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drdarkmatter

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG who graduated in 2013. I completed my postgraduation in surgical disciplines and have been practicing in surgical oncology since 2017 outside the US. I have around five years of clinical experience and about 14 articles published as first-author (3 more under review) in high-impact journals. I am also an associate editor in an oncology journal and a reviewer in many oncology journals. Lately, I am drifting away from the clinical aspects of my field, especially the surgical area as a whole.

I had been planning to give USMLE for a long time, but due to financial issues, I was not able to. Currently, I feel I am financially secure enough to pursue my dream. At present, I do not have any clinical experience in the US. I have the following queries and I sincerely appreciate those who are replying to this post:

1) I am hoping to give the USMLE exams. Apart from the scores, what are the chances for someone like me who graduated quite a while back to get a residency in the non-surgical field (internal medicine/family medicine, etc.)?

2) I have a keen interest in pursuing clinical research in the US. What are the best ways to get research fellow positions for an IMG?
[I have contacted a few program directors, however, yet to receive a reply.]

3) I have a few articles in the pipeline all pertaining to oncology, so if anyone wants to join as a co-author (IM residents/Oncology fellows) are welcome to contact me to know more.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.