How many?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone with few interviews but with a strong application overall?

it would make sense for a weaker applicant to not have many interviews, but would you consider yourself a pretty strong applicant with just bad luck / slipping through the cracks?

Members don't see this ad.

Hard to say what a pretty strong applicant is.

This process is a genuine crapshoot.

Hard to say what a pretty strong applicant is.

This process is a genuine crapshoot.

strong applicant meaning you don't see many weaknesses in your application and are surprised by how you are doing

Members don't see this ad :)
strong applicant meaning you don't see many weaknesses in your application and are surprised by how you are doing
I think you got some awesome interviews no? Are you sad cuz you don't have 10+ interviews? I have 6 and am perfectly happy... I thought I'd get more interviews at this point but such is life.

Update:

9 interviews, applied 90
40 rejections

Want to hit the magic 10...:xf:

want to get some final totals in? Kill some time before match?

want to get some final totals in? Kill some time before match?

medstudentquest (aka iluvskin?) will be happy to hear the final number from all!

One of the interviewees at an interview posed this question for all at the table before the interviews started. Two answered. Myself and others just gave that interviewee the look without answering. It is an awkward question to ask, at least in my opinion!

medstudentquest (aka iluvskin?) will be happy to hear the final number from all!

One of the interviewees at an interview posed this question for all at the table before the interviews started. Two answered. Myself and others just gave that interviewee the look without answering. It is an awkward question to ask, at least in my opinion!

I hate people who ask that question. What difference does it make if I have 2 or 20 interviews?

I hate people who ask that question. What difference does it make if I have 2 or 20 interviews?

A lot.

my.php

What difference does it make to the person asking the question............

Agreed!

It is a very personal and impolite question. As is a question of an applicant trying to find out how many other applicants from his/her institution when facing match anxiety. Although competing against each other, we should not try to be competitive with fellow applicants, especially not from our own institution.

I have seen a classmate try to evesdrop in a conversation with another applicant at an interview, I guess in an attempt to find out where else I had interviewed. Rude. Very rude.

i think what it is is that either

a) ppl with a ton of interviews want to brag or fish for compliments about their lucky position, so they can feel good about themselves

b) ppl with few interviews want to seek out others with few interviews so they feel like they are not alone and therefore feel better about their crappy position

in the end... ppl just want to feel better about this hellish process...

i'm not saying it's right. not saying it's wrong either. just saying.

Heck, I haven't even started the process, and watching everyone here fret about it makes me nervous.

Members don't see this ad :)
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcnaS_dNC7s[/YOUTUBE]

Remember this? The STAR WARS Kid (type in Star Wars Kid on YouTube and settle down for a few hours well wasted). Note the number of hits is around 11 million!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPPj6viIBmU[/YOUTUBE]

Now, here is probably one of the most viral youtube videos ever! over 25 million hits!!!!!!!!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60og9gwKh1o[/YOUTUBE]

Ever heard of a small state between Romania and the Ukraine? These guys are from there...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGLMALvtjBc&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Sorry LD, but you made me do it. I love O-zone and "their" riff! :)

I had to add this. Over 74 million hits/views!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P6UU6m3cqk[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

a) ppl with a ton of interviews want to brag or fish for compliments about their lucky position, so they can feel good about themselves

b) ppl with few interviews want to seek out others with few interviews so they feel like they are not alone and therefore feel better about their crappy position

i'm not saying it's right. not saying it's wrong either. just saying.

This is a very good post and I totally agree. We all just want to feel better about this hellish process. I was wondering if people are getting more or fewer interviews this year than normal. It seems in past years most people have between 5 and 10.

I was also looking at those statistics somebody posted. A few poor fellows had 15+ interviews and still didn't match (the non us-senior applicants). I mean, come on!!!

I want to hear from pemphigirl!!! The rumor on the trail is she had 70 invites, haha.

Our year seems awfully uptight about this question. It seems like last year they were doing all kinds of fun stuff like number of interviews, best ratio, fewest applied to and matched, most applied to, fewest interviews and still matched, etc.

Maybe after match day people will be able to exhale and loosen up a bit, derm residents are suppose to be the most chill, this board is full of anxiety...not matching is not the end of the world. Being a research fellow sounds kinda nice to me (making 40grr working 20-35 hours a week) with a great chance of matching from there.

previous applicants posted on the dermboard and it's a lot easier to say whatever on the dermboard because for some reason it feels more anonymous. i don't really feel comfortable revealing too much info here. i feel like i have to be really pc or my post will get removed or thread will get shutdown. on the dermboard you could really say a bunch of crap and talk a lot of dirt without much consequence and remain anonymous.

i'm sure ppl will be more open after they have matched and post all that info, ignite hardcore.

Long Dong is the moderator here and although I don't know him personally, I *really* don't think he is going to be so anal as to shut down threads or posts because you crossed some PC line. Talking about the abovementioned topics wouldn't be so horrible and frankly, even with a username (which is what you also need now at the mismanaged dermboard), you still maintain anonymity when you talk about number of interviews, blah blah, unless you expose it via your own pics or specifics.

Of the hundreds of people who interview, more than one will have, say, 9 interviews.

And anyway, the owners of the dermboard removed posts/threads as well, most definitely, based on my experience over there.

how many people applied this year? one pd said it was over 600. could that be true?

previous applicants posted on the dermboard and it's a lot easier to say whatever on the dermboard because for some reason it feels more anonymous. i don't really feel comfortable revealing too much info here. i feel like i have to be really pc or my post will get removed or thread will get shutdown. on the dermboard you could really say a bunch of crap and talk a lot of dirt without much consequence and remain anonymous.

i'm sure ppl will be more open after they have matched and post all that info, ignite hardcore.
Dog you know me, I'm not about being PC. You can post all the ish you want, just don't ask about your rash.;)

Trust me I won't shut down any thread unless there is a flame war of personnal attacks or medical advice. But gossip about programs I'm totaly down for cuz again it's just gossip, doesn't mean it's true.

I'll start with some hot gossip. I heard there was gossip on the interview trail about a resident in a midwest program who flys back to the coast every weekend to get his party on.

how many people applied this year? one pd said it was over 600. could that be true?
Program from the dermboard used to post that ~900 people apply every year.

Dog you know me, I'm not about being PC. You can post all the ish you want, just don't ask about your rash.;)

Trust me I won't shut down any thread unless there is a flame war of personnal attacks or medical advice. But gossip about programs I'm totaly down for cuz again it's just gossip, doesn't mean it's true.

I'll start with some hot gossip. I heard there was gossip on the interview trail about a resident in a midwest program who flys back to the coast every weekend to get his party on.

yeahhh, of course, LD... i know you're cool with all that, but everyone here is so nice. i almost feel guilty or have to think twice about talking trash. and i really do enjoy talking trash.
:D

ooo, man, that's some crazy juicy gossip... i heard that there's a med student that the resident meets up with whenever he flies back there. just kiddin.... :laugh:

so if someone doesn't match out of med school, when they reapply they are considered independent applicants right? from this chart it appears that the chances of matching being a indep applicant are much lower than being a US senior...is this because most strong applicants match out of med school? or is it difficult to improve your application signifcantly after not matching?

so if someone doesn't match out of med school, when they reapply they are considered independent applicants right? from this chart it appears that the chances of matching being a indep applicant are much lower than being a US senior...is this because most strong applicants match out of med school? or is it difficult to improve your application signifcantly after not matching?

independent applicants also include FMGs so maybe that's the difference. Maybe the "matched" independents are research fellows or re-applicants from their intern year. Lots of people from other countries may like derm as well and may give it a shot. Unfortunately there just are not enough spots.

hmm yeah maybe...although i haven't really come across too many FMG's applying for derm...most i know don't even bother because they know they don't have a decent chance.