How many publications would make a student competitive for dermatology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

merna.a

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Assuming they have good USMLE scores

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends greatly on the program. at few programs will your number of publications make or break your application, but most would like to see research or publications of some kind.
so I suppose my answer to your question is "1." other components of the application are usually more important.

That should be available via the NRMP match data (you can see the average # of publications for a matched applicant)

I'm sure you would be in good shape with double digits

Quality is always a positive too when it comes to publications

Members don't see this ad :)
About 4-6 publications and 8-12 posters would probably put you right at about average for dermatology (~15 total research items). Some people have less, some people have way more. Also quality can make up for quantity. A first author paper in JAAD or JAMA is probably better than a half dozen case reports in middle tier journals. Ideally you'll have a good mix of original projects, case reports, letters, abstracts, posters, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
That should be available via the NRMP match data (you can see the average # of publications for a matched applicant)

I'm sure you would be in good shape with double digits

Quality is always a positive too when it comes to publications
Thank you so much, your reply is helpful :)

Last edited:

I would say # of publications isn't a "cut-off" like boards scores or clinical grades, even at "top" programs. It's more interpreted in context of your overall application and the goals stated in your personal statement. Some applicants are blunt that they don't want "research" careers (and that's OK!)... in which case I'm not really looking for 1st author basic science papers in their application. Having said that, having some sort of publications is usually required...more so to prove that you're interested in scholarly pursuits and willing to contribute to the dermatology literature. Furthermore, it's the normal method of creating a mentorship relationship with a faculty dermatologist - and their recommendation letters are the ones that really matter > # of pubs.

This obviously wouldn't apply to those pursuing 2+2 programs, or specifically looking for research careers. Then you need the publication trail to back-up your ambitions.