How many?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstudentquest

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, how many programs did you all apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

Check out the "Revive the Dermboard" thread...everyone posted their #s there.

Good Luck!

How about a different question. How many interviews are you guys getting by this point? Also add how many apps you have submitted.

I'll start:

4/100

Members don't see this ad :)
How about a different question. How many interviews are you guys getting by this point? Also add how many apps you have submitted.

I'll start:

4/100

Sweet lord, how many derm programs are there?

And more importantly, how much does it cost to apply to a 100 of them?

Sweet lord, how many derm programs are there?

And more importantly, how much does it cost to apply to a 100 of them?

just above $2,000.

It may be overkill but I know I'm not the only one out there who has done it. I'm not ashamed of it, and yes...i'm in serious debt like everybody else.

4 is pretty good return, buddy. I'd say it's $2000 well-spent. You'll be at the magic 10 in no time.

We have a new high! What's the max #?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm up to 5/100....but 7 is the new high! Wow, superstar!

post deleted

Last edited:
sflskdj

Last edited:
So let's hear it, who was desperate enough to apply to the residency in Puerto Rico? :)

My program director specifically told me to not go cheap on this as well...

Derm 1/80
IM/Derm 0/4

I've always been curious about these IM/Derm programs.

What is the allure here? Are they some form of "backdoor" entrance?

I've been told that they are just as hard to get into as regular derm programs. And I've heard that 99% of graduates become plain dermatologists.

Is the internal medicine knowledge gained during this residency at all applicable? I've never understood the point of these programs especially as dermatology continues to distance itself from the hospital into an almost purely outpatient field.

Congrats to those of you with a lot of interviews at this early part of the process.

What about those with the least number of interviews?

1/100

Maybe I should have applied to Puerto Rico.

Congrats to those of you with a lot of interviews at this early part of the process.

What about those with the least number of interviews?

1/100

Maybe I should have applied to Puerto Rico.

1/66

PR isn't a bad place....plus you need to be fluent in spanish (no I didn't apply). IMO, there are worse programs in the continental U.S.

I've always been curious about these IM/Derm programs.

What is the allure here? Are they some form of "backdoor" entrance?

I've been told that they are just as hard to get into as regular derm programs. And I've heard that 99% of graduates become plain dermatologists.

Is the internal medicine knowledge gained during this residency at all applicable? I've never understood the point of these programs especially as dermatology continues to distance itself from the hospital into an almost purely outpatient field.

5 yrs instead of 4, and eligible for 2 boards, not bad!

Academics; a way of bridging the Dermatology and IM departments from a professional level. Hospital Dermatology, the truly life threatening and/or altering stuff, will probably be your thing.

Private practice; you are now a PCP and Dermie all wrapped up in one. Refer your pateints to yourself! :laugh:

Derm: 3/90

Prelim/TY: all of them (12 total)!

Sounds like you'll have your hand full with the prelims:). How early did you apply? I applied to 14 prelim/ty progs and have 7 interviews. 7 is already more than adequate for me, but I'm curious if any of these other prelim progs will contact me in late dec/jan when i'll be busier with interviews.

Sounds like you'll have your hand full with the prelims:). How early did you apply? I applied to 14 prelim/ty progs and have 7 interviews. 7 is already more than adequate for me, but I'm curious if any of these other prelim progs will contact me in late dec/jan when i'll be busier with interviews.

I only applied locally, and the first day ERAS opened. Only two of the programs are Ivy League, so really, it's not too impressive.

When would be an appropriate time to be worried about a low number of derm interviews?? Like around early December?

And how many derm interviews are needed to match? 5? 6? 8? 10? 20?

woot woot...movin on up

derm = 2/100
prelim/ty = 9/20

2/65 Derm
7/24 prelims/TYs (over-clicked on eras...)

How many prelim/TY interviews are generally considered enough?
TYs are more competitive than prelims..but I honestly dont know the magic 3 to be 'safe". I had friends go on 7 interviews and they thought it was too many..I guess it depends how competitive the program is too.

Just got rejected from a prelim medicine program..ouch..

now at 5/93, but didn't get one from my home program, which has offered. ouch.

I'm at 8/100. Can I be the new high for just one day?

TY years have not been kind to me. I might end up in a prelim by default.

I cannot begin to describe how envious I am.

Applied to 80, 8 interviews, 6 rejections

Congrats Scumbagderm perhaps we will meet in AZ.

As said before, its still very early so those of you with only a few interviews keep your head up, there is still light at the end of the tunnel. I know several people who interviewed at only 4-5 places and matched last year.