How many years is OB-GYN after med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eegerstm

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a really basic question but I dont know where to look this stuff up. I am only a 2nd year med student but really interested in ob-gyn and was wondering if you could give me an idea of how many years you have in internship, residency, fellowship(do most people do one?) after your graduate from med school...
Also can you give me an idea of what sort of hours and call schedule you were on? I dont know any obgyn's that I can ask this so hopefully one of you guys can help me!
Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

4 Year residency with several fellowships, many of which are 2-3 years in lenght, including REI, Urogynecology, Gynecologic Oncology, and MFM (Meternal Fetal Medicine).

My hours (in residency) are generally:

M-F 5:30 AM to 5 or 6 PM
On Call average Q7 (every 7th night) duet to night float
and off 2 weekends out of the month.

This is while in Gynecology or Labor & Delivery. While on other services, it varies (more on ONC, less on Sono, ER, Geriatrics...)

Internship is not required except (correct me if I am wrong) some places require a 1 year surgical internship for Osteopathic graduates.

If you need more info on OB/Gyn or other fields, look up Iserson's Guide to Residency.

Good luck!

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it! And thanks for guiding me to the right source where I can read more about it. Good luck with everything.