How many schools SHOULD there be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1149159

Three.

East Coast (Philly), Midwest (Chicago) and West Coast (San Fran).

Graduate 300 podiatrist a year. Done.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
The number of schools does not matter.

If we only graduated 200 students per year, the job market would change dramatically.

Members don't see this ad :)
How would it change the job market so dramatically?
Not immediately but in the next 7-10 years. Reduce the supply of new surgical podiatrist entering the labor market each year. Employers will have to pay more to attract and keep candidates.

It will also help the schools too. They don't have to dig to the bottom of the barrel for candidates to fill up their class size.

Not immediately but in the next 7-10 years. Reduce the supply of new surgical podiatrist entering the labor market each year. Employers will have to pay more to attract and keep candidates.

It will also help the schools too. They don't have to dig to the bottom of the barrel for candidates to fill up their class size.

I agree with your second statement.

Podiatry employers have been eating their young since the dawn of time. Even when there were few schools and few graduates. And even fewer surgically trained one. I would say that with fewer graduates it would open up more solo practice opportunities, though.

The bottom of the barrel pays as just as much as the top. That is all that matters.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
The number of schools does not matter.

If we only graduated 200 students per year, the job market would change dramatically.
Ding ding ding.

...IMO, the number of HIGH quality residency spots should be the limiting factor. In podiatry, that's currently maybe 200 spots... or even closer to 100?

That is how derm, ortho, plastics, and many other specialties with higher avg income and job/student demand do it: high quality programs and a finite number. Always has been.

Three.

Thoughts?
All excellent cities. I very much enjoyed my time in Philly. I'm on board with this. All the schools are basically the same (except the NY one), might as well live in a city you'll enjoy.

Fun thought experiment but I am also opening a podiatry school in my town in 2 years and some friends of mine have plans to open a chain of new schools across the Midwest and West Coat. You can't stop us and CPME will definitely approve them (they always do) or we will sue. We will be sending out constant promotions and requests for money on PM News to old podiatrists who foolishly believe that more schools are good for the profession. We won't stop till there is a podiatry school on every corner. Each school will take on however many students we can take- 10-100, etc. Auto-admission. No academic standard. Take all MCAT scores. Our students will be allowed to take Part 1 however many times it takes. We've worked out a deal with APMLE to split the profits on this. We will be forging academic affiliations with chiropractor schools and nursing homes so that our graduates can also treat back pain with orthotics and immediately work for Healthdrive which will cut down on advertising. We'll put the students to work in the nursing homes as 1st years and call it clinical experience.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Three.

Thoughts?
You should focus on improving your skill to stand out, instead of restricting enrollment.

• Dislike
Fun thought experiment but I am also opening a podiatry school in my town in 2 years and some friends of mine have plans to open a chain of new schools across the Midwest and West Coat. You can't stop us and CPME will definitely approve them (they always do) or we will sue. We will be sending out constant promotions and requests for money on PM News to old podiatrists who foolishly believe that more schools are good for the profession. We won't stop till there is a podiatry school on every corner. Each school will take on however many students we can take- 10-100, etc. Auto-admission. No academic standard. Take all MCAT scores. Our students will be allowed to take Part 1 however many times it takes. We've worked out a deal with APMLE to split the profits on this. We will be forging academic affiliations with chiropractor schools and nursing homes so that our graduates can also treat back pain with orthotics and immediately work for Healthdrive which will cut down on advertising. We'll put the students to work in the nursing homes as 1st years and call it clinical experience.
For every new school you create, I'll create a new fellowship in total toenail replacement to match it. Then we will have the highest quality newly trained grads

• Haha
  • Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
For every new school you create, I'll create a new fellowship in total toenail replacement to match it. Then we will have the highest quality newly trained grads
I'm sure many of my students will be interested in your excellent fellowship after they finish the 4 year residencies I have created for them.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
All excellent cities. I very much enjoyed my time in Philly. I'm on board with this. All the schools are basically the same (except the NY one), might as well live in a city you'll enjoy.

Why is the NY school bad? Or different?

Despite being the oldest school, it has a reputation for students that are academically and clinically weaker than most of the other schools. Some schools are regarded as better than others and which ones are regarded to be at the top or bottom can sometimes change over time. NY has been at or near the bottom for a very long time.

It still, obviously, largely comes down to the individual and not the school one went to.

Wonder if enough strong applicants are even applying for most schools to even be somewhat selective anymore.

Last edited:
You should focus on improving your skill to stand out, instead of restricting enrollment.
^Hmm... is this the motto of the chiro and pharmacy and counseling degree forums? :)

Training and marketing and likeable personality can only go so far.

It is a always a numbers game any way you look at it.

If there were 100 Channing Tatums or 1000 Pat Mahomes or 10,000 Dr James Andrews or 100,000 Taylor Swift, they'd each be worth only a small fraction of what those ppl are actually worth. Supply and demand. Saturation. Need for the results they can produce.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
TBH I don't have any data to back that opinion up. I just hear that it is and their students tend to go to residencies within the same state that are less than ideal, so maybe the poor residencies some of the students end up at kind of perpetuates the stereotype. I'm sure they have good students at the top of their classes like the other schools.

But also I'd hate to live in Harlem and the surrounding areas are either worse neighborhoods or too spendy to live in.

TBH I don't have any data to back that opinion up. I just hear that it is and their students tend to go to residencies within the same state that are less than ideal, so maybe the poor residencies some of the students end up at kind of perpetuates the stereotype. I'm sure they have good students at the top of their classes like the other schools.

But also I'd hate to live in Harlem and the surrounding areas are either worse neighborhoods or too spendy to live in.
Every school produces top notch students. It speaks more to the students than the schools. And even the lowest of low residencies can produce top notch practitioners. Again, speaks more to the resident, then the residency. And vice versa, btw. Top notch schools graduate terrible students, and top notch residencies graduate terrible practitioners. The person is the most important factor. That's just what I personally think. YMMV.

I am a graduate from NYCPM and I was asking because it seems like an unfair assessment. Yes, living in Harlem was terrible. There are good and bad students at every school, I don’t think it’s fair to make a blanket statement that everyone from one school is subpar.

I am a graduate from NYCPM and I was asking because it seems like an unfair assessment. Yes, living in Harlem was terrible. There are good and bad students at every school, I don’t think it’s fair to make a blanket statement that everyone from one school is subpar.
You're right, I was being obnoxious.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
What does it matter anyways.....the person that finished last in their class at any any school is still a podiatrist and will be highly respected and rich right?

• Hmm
  • Haha
What does it matter anyways.....the person that finished last in their class at any any school is still a podiatrist and will be highly respected and rich right?
20+ years out...still waiting...;)

C's = DPM isn't that how the saying goes ...?

C's = DPM isn't that how the saying goes ...?
Cant really remember but isnt a C a failing final grade in DPM school? Maybe it was C- was auto F. I cant remember.

So, this is your local pre-med (MD/DO) student intruding once more into the professional forums again:

I am not suggesting that you open more DPM schools again, but if in the future demand for DPMs go up and you do establish a new school, why not consider Texas (edit: or I should say, consider another school in Texas)?

Namely large cities with opportunities for research collaboration gallore:

Houston - Texas Medical Center - currently has MD - 2 of them, DDS, nursing, public health represented there. DO school to the north, close to The Woodlands. MD school down south in Galveston. MD Anderson Cancer center. University of Houston - MD.

San Antonio - South Texas Medical Center - MD, DDS, nursing, pharmacy. University of the Incarnate Word - DO, OD, pharmacy. UTSA - biomedical engineering.

Dallas - MD, DDS (granted I don't know what benefit having a dental school would be for y'all, but strange things do happen - some treatment for blindness was fashioned out of a tooth years ago if I remember correctly), nursing.

Fort Worth - DO school (UNT TCOM). Performing arts medicine collaboration between TCOM and UNT college of music. Texas Christian University - MD.

Bryan/College Station - MD program. Engineering. DVM. Maybe a few other things.

Lubbock - Texas Tech University/Texas Tech Health Sciences Center with a whole range of programs including MD and nursing. Engineering. Burn center.

Amarillo: Branch campus of TTUHSC including its MD program. BSA Harrington Cancer Center.

Last edited:
So, this is your local pre-med (MD/DO) student intruding once more into the professional forums again:

I am not suggesting that you open more DPM schools again, but if in the future demand for DPMs go up and you do establish a new school, why not consider Texas?

Namely large cities like with opportunities for research collaboration gallore:

Houston - Texas Medical Center - currently has MD - 2 of them, DDS, nursing, public health represented there. DO school to the north, close The Woodlands. MD school down south in Galveston. MD Anderson Cancer center. University of Houston - MD.

San Antonio - South Texas Medical Center - MD, DDS, nursing, pharmacy. University of the Incarnate Word - DO, OD, pharmacy. UTSA - biomedical engineering.

Dallas - MD, DDS (granted I don't know what benefit having a dental school would be for y'all, but strange things do happen - some treatment for blindness was fashioned out of a tooth years ago if I remember correctly), nursing.

Fort Worth - DO school (UNT TCOM). Performing arts medicine collaboration between TCOM and UNT college of music. Texas Christian University - MD.

Bryan/College Station - MD program. Engineering. DVM. Maybe a few other things.

Lubbock - Texas Tech University/Texas Tech Health Sciences Center with a whole range of programs including MD and nursing. Engineering. Burn unit.

Amarillo: Branch campus of TTUHSC including its MD program. Harrington Cancer Center.
They opened a new school in Texas this year.......near Brownsville.

"Podiatry" has been trying to open a school in Texas for decades. It is where it is because that's where they could open it.

Cant really remember but isnt a C a failing final grade in DPM school? Maybe it was C- was auto F. I cant remember.
C = Congratulations... you're a doctor! Just as long as you got a way to pay the provost the schools dont care about grades if the classes are not filling.

Status
Not open for further replies.