How many people go to the Parties during orientation and after test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I obviously don't know you or anything about your life, but I'm gonna vent at you based on my own experiences. This 1/3 of the class that's all buddy-buddy and goes to the post-exam parties tends to consist of a core group of what I like to call lax bros and cheerleaders, and their assorted hangers-on and wanna-bes. People that forcibly remind me of high school and/or lived for their frats and sororities in college. The rest of us don't really like you and kind of wish you'd just grow up and leave that part of your life behind. We're the same people that would rather drink a beer out of a glass bottle than a keg, because we are adults that have IDs and don't need to drink that ****. We have our own fun with our own friends, and are otherwise perfectly content being casual friends or acquaintances with our classmates.
Just telling the other side of the story.

It's interesting that you seem to look down on this people, yet you're the one being judgmental. Obviously these people have their stuff together, they're all going to become physicians, so why do you care how they choose to spend the little down time that they have? Sounds like jealousy to me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, why is everybody talking about how anatomy lab is going to be sooo nasty. I think they are exaggerating. They act as if there will be grease of fluid everywhere or something.

You're cutting up a dead body. It is pretty nasty. You'll get used to it though, which is probably one of the most disturbing things about the process. Formaldehyde smells awful, and it soaks into everything. You get used to that too.

Also, fluid pretty much does get everywhere, or at least it did for me. Just pray that your cadaver is a built, lean female. <<<<the single weirdest thing I have ever written.

It's interesting that you seem to look down on this people, yet you're the one being judgmental. Obviously these people have their stuff together, they're all going to become physicians, so why do you care how they choose to spend the little down time that they have? Sounds like jealousy to me.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. I don't think it's something completely rational, it's just a feeling. I don't think that irritation caused by being on the outside looking in on a certain group is necessarily jealousy, but I'm not sure what to call it. It's natural though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I skipped orientation to study anatomy, don't fall behind you idiots

Reactions: 2 users
Autopsies make cadavers look like a Disney movie.

Reactions: 1 user
Forced myself to go to the social tonight. Bar setting with sorta loud music.

I'm sure it varies tremendously, but if that sort of thing doesn't make you happy, check and see what other events they might have. Maybe it's just something my school did, but we usually had at least one alternative.

I dind't enjoy paying too much for drinks and not being able to hear people talk: but the baseball game they had as an alternative was fun(where the beer is still overpriced, but at least you don't go deaf).

Reactions: 4 users
It was sorta fun, met a lot of people in my class and a lot of m2s. We have quite a few people who get really really drunk. Lots of hangovers at registration this morning .

Reactions: 1 users
Force yourself to do it. Do not isolate yourself completely from your class, even if it's a habit. It's the worst thing you can do during 4 years of med school not only during MS-1/MS-2, but esp. during the MS-3 clerkship years. Who cares if you're black? It's a party, not a Klan rally.

Orientation you'll have nothing to do, and it's good relaxation right after exams, before hitting the grind again.

I concur with this response:highfive:

Members don't see this ad :)
It was sorta fun, met a lot of people in my class and a lot of m2s. We have quite a few people who get really really drunk. Lots of hangovers at registration this morning .
A lot of med students who've been nerds their entire lives will try to show how "cool" they are. Don't be fooled. The real work hasn't started yet.

When you said that, that reminded me of this gif. And, no, what he said was not "racist".

665-thats-racist.gif

Remember, kids....
Funniest_Memes_its-not-racist-if-it-s-true_13224.jpeg

I'm glad you went and (sorta) had fun (even if it's to give your hungover classmates a hard time for the next 4 years).

I suck at making small talk! Most of these kids have something in common, they went to the same undergrad, know the same people, something. When I'm standing beside someone I can't just instantly find something to talk about. Theres too much awkward silence.
I know these feelings all too well, but with orientation a few weeks away I'm also forcing myself to be more social. I find that taking a shot immediately before leaving for the event helps to make things go more smoothly.

Those are fun things I would do with a select few classmates too, and still do with co-residents. In the beginning of med school, people would go in groups of 20-30, but I personally hate that. It's too crowded and large of a group. Being with 3-6 is WAY better, IMO. Plus, a smaller group = more time to get to know each person and open up, especially someone like me, who is extremely slow to open up. I never understood why it's considered to be to be friends with a small amount of people, if it makes people happy. After all, noone can be friends with everyone in their class. At least, real friends haha. You can be friendly with everyone, but some people are mainly acquaintances and nothing more. Especially the ones who don't mesh with my extreme dorkiness, silliness, soft spoken voice(I can't talk loud if my life depended on it!), etc.

Are you me? You basically described my exact social preferences. Or maybe I am you.

<_>

I realized there are way to many people to try to get to know all of them in the first few days. There are 175 people in our class, and a lot of them look alike and have common names.

Not for nothing, but I'm not in med school to make friends. I can be friendly like everyone else sure, but I personally don't like hanging out with most people outside of school because they either A) talk about school or B) act completely immature, like getting blacked out. I think it's better for my social skills to interact with others outside of the circle. I don't care if there are groups going out and having fun, do what you do. But don't call me antisocial because I don't laugh at your lame jokes or drink cheap beer with you.

The anatomy course director sent an email telling us to study for class over the weekend.

You're surprised high ego, high achieving in college students in a med school class are judgmental of eachother?

ugh the people that wore scrubs to anatomy lab annoyed me so much. I'm cool with whatever, and I don't care what someone else wears really, but it's not like there's fluid flying everywhere and you still have a lab coat over whatever you have on. people would wear those booty things over their shoes too, so weird. between this and the people who would try to steal the faculty white coats to differentiate between students and faculty, I was convinced I'd hate half my class by the end of the first week.
You didn't wear real clothes while doing dissection did you?

my advice, if you can be the one who chug from the keg be it.

I realized there are way to many people to try to get to know all of them in the first few days. There are 175 people in our class, and a lot of them look alike and have common names.
Now that's racist.

Reactions: 6 users
You didn't wear real clothes while doing dissection did you?

85% of my class did. the 15 % that wore scrubs were all the disillusioned kids that support the whole primary care administration BS. lol not suggesting anything just saying literally everyone that wore scrubs in my class was like that. I don't really see why normal clothes is unusual, it's not like I'd wear nice stuff for it. I can count the times where stuff would have ever flown in the air on 1 hand and our lab coats covered everything anyway.

85% of my class did. the 15 % that wore scrubs were all the disillusioned kids that support the whole primary care administration BS. lol not suggesting anything just saying literally everyone that wore scrubs in my class was like that. I don't really see why normal clothes is unusual, it's not like I'd wear nice stuff for it. I can count the times where stuff would have ever flown in the air on 1 hand and our lab coats covered everything anyway.
Yeah, except the scrubs are so that you don't get cadaver juice, fascia, etc. on your clothes. Scrubs can be washed and reused.

Reactions: 6 users
Yeah, except the scrubs are so that you don't get cadaver juice, fascia, etc. on your clothes. Scrubs can be washed and reused.

Yeah, I'm not sold on this not being weird. But my school required scrubs (no coat), so I guess it's something that just varies.

Glad I wore things that I'm not keeping (it's worth the money I spent on those scrubs to never, ever, smell that smell on me again).

Yeah, I'm not sold on this not being weird. But my school required scrubs (no coat), so I guess it's something that just varies.

Glad I wore things that I'm not keeping (it's worth the money I spent on those scrubs to never, ever, smell that smell on me again).
I'm wondering what scrubs have to do with primary care. lol. That's new to me.

Right, put you in a room with 200 black people and see if you aren't saying the same thing.
No actually I don't. My visual skills are a bit sharper and so I notice differences (subtle and not) in facial morphology, pigmentation, etc. So no, put me in a room with 200 black people and I will be able to tell the difference.

The M2s are sponsoring the last party tonight

the best kind of party. go home with someone fun. I mean, I never did that or anything so I wouldn't know about it :D have fun!

lol If I took a girl home, I wouldn't even know what to do.

Yeah won't be any room for talking at this one, M2s said it would mostly be lots of dancing and alcohol
So then don't talk. Have as much fun as you're comfortable with. God forbid you dance - although I hear that the Shakers believe it means you're possessed by the devil.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.