How Long?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MzzMisty

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious how long it takes to become a paramedic I was thinking that it would be a good job for me while i go to school and also great experience.. thanks for any input you might have .. Misty :thumbup: :)

Members don't see this ad.

In Southern California the programs are about six months long, but to apply you must have a minimum of six months experience in the field as an EMT-1 (same as Basic in the rest of the country). It may not be worth it to do paramedic school unless you want to become a firefighter; it's somewhat expensive, and the pay increase at private companies isn't that much. Also, if you're looking for experience relevant to med school admissions, there's actually a published study showing that they don't really have a preference between EMTs and paramedics (it's in another thread here or in pre-allo).

In Texas,

The only requirement is that you be a certified EMT-B. There is no experience requirement.

Class are often 2 nights a week for a semester for EMT-B, or you can take it in the summer and get it done in a month or two, especially if you don't get it for college credit, but with a fire department or EMS service.

Once you begin the paramedic program, it is in 2 phases. First, you do the EMT-I phase, which is a semester. Classes are often 2 nights a week. At the end of that semester, you can become certified as an EMT-I.

You then begin the paramedic program, which is 2 semesters, again with the 2 nights a week class. If you do the entire EMT-I & EMT-P program, it is often August-August, so 1 year. This is if you are only going to classes a couple of times a week, thus allowing for you to go to college full time as well.

If you are not an EMT, you can start the EMT course in the summer, and then finish the entire paramedic program by the next August.

Try to become a member of a volunteer EMS service, even before you get certified, and they may pay for all or part of your school in return for your service.

In PA there are no EMT-I's. EMT-B training can last four months going twice a week or about 6 weeks during the summer. Paramedic training can take anywhere from one to two years depending how many hours a week the class runs.